• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015-2017 Arctic Cat

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
guess it's not all about the numbers then...

Whatever the numbers, stats, whatever... like I said, and which is pretty pertinent to the conversation, I'm waiting for the next chassis, or a BIG change that makes it FEEL the way I want a sled to.

Stoked to see what changes come down the line, I'd be excited if they did some stuff that made the sled handle more in line with what I like, that would be sick!

Nope. It's not about the numbers at all. It's all about what Kaleb likes. :light:

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Take a direct look at the front of the PC. It`s chubby! It looks like a light ball upside down!
Remove the foam inside the sidepanels and see how much room you got before clutches and the can hits the sidewalls and kills them.

I do believe there is possible to shave of some width here and there to make the body narrower but that probably takes a lot of time and talent to make the body panels fit again. Maybe there is room for narrowing the body and suck in the panels here and there but is it worth chopping up the brand new sled just because you can`t sidehill the steepest places?

This is exactly what wyoboy1000 did to his. My understanding is it worked out pretty good.

The other thing that really interfers with the side hilling is the 16" tall spindles, or should I say anchors. As you are trying to push the up hill ski/spindle through the snow the taller spindle piles up a lot more snow and causes more resistance, and then this just makes the track spin out from under you that much easier. So IMO it is a two fold thing that needs fixed, shorter spindles and narrower side panels.

Here is wyo's post, http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303872&highlight=narrow

Thunder

G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Take a direct look at the front of the PC. It`s chubby! It looks like a light ball upside down!
Remove the foam inside the sidepanels and see how much room you got before clutches and the can hits the sidewalls and kills them.

I do believe there is possible to shave of some width here and there to make the body narrower but that probably takes a lot of time and talent to make the body panels fit again. Maybe there is room for narrowing the body and suck in the panels here and there but is it worth chopping up the brand new sled just because you can`t sidehill the steepest places?
If you get aftermarket boards, it's easier than you think to suck the bottom plastic in 1" on each side. Remove 4 rivets, pull the plastic in & re-rivet. This sucks in the back 3/4 of the plastic without interfering with clutch or chaincase clearance. Once I get my boards in I will take pictures. (This is all thanks to WyoBoy's experimenting last year.)

G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
This is exactly what wyoboy1000 did to his. My understanding is it worked out pretty good.

The other thing that really interfers with the side hilling is the 16" tall spindles, or should I say anchors. As you are trying to push the up hill ski/spindle through the snow the taller spindle piles up a lot more snow and causes more resistance, and then this just makes the track spin out from under you that much easier. So IMO it is a two fold thing that needs fixed, shorter spindles and narrower side panels.
Thunder
Typical observation from someone who does not own a Proclimb. The spindles do not interfere as much as you would think, from my experience. They do interfere marginally when attempting a downhill J-turn only if you lay it over too far. You feel a held-up/push-back feeling on layover. But the downhill J-turn is the Proclimb's achilles heal IMO. No sled is perfect. I can beat up and nit-pick on the old M7/M8/firecat chassis all day too, since I owned one.

It is a pretty straightforward fix if you don't like the spindles. BDX's front end is $400. Buy some Skinz Airframe "Burandt skinny" boards $450 and suck the plastic in 1" and you should be golden.

Another thing to consider is the 2012 skid mounting location was awful. The 2013 skid drop fixed the trenching and gave the sled a more nimble front end feel. I don't wash out near as much on the 2013 skid position.

As mentioned above, you have to give the Proclimb an honest couple days to see the true benefits it has over the M/Firecat chassis. To each his own. Snow is coming!!

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Narrow the body, stronger and better running boards that lets the snow out even better, new wider and stronger bars with a cleaner setup. Better mountain skis, tether and snowmesh over the openings!

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
I have herd new chassis for MY2015. Not sure if it will be trail sled or both. Suppose to address the reliability issues of the procross chassis. It will probably come out as I am going to buy a 2014. We shall see come spring.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I have herd new chassis for MY2015. Not sure if it will be trail sled or both. Suppose to address the reliability issues of the procross chassis. It will probably come out as I am going to buy a 2014. We shall see come spring.

Addressing reliability issues for 2015 I can see that. New chassis?? Not a chance...

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
No not a new chassis, just a refined one! Remember one other thing Yamaha doesn't like the jack shaft arrangement being floating, it causes a problem! What does Yamaha have that Cat gave up? How bout the diamond drive coming back? Would you be acceptable to this if it was beefed up in all the right spots by Yamaha? What do you want to bet Yamaha is designing the drive train with that chassis to use their 4 S engines and Cat will be supplying the 2 S engines? Remember Yami has the funds and Cat all the rest! Remember what we are looking at today they are already 3 to 4 yrs. ahead testing new designs and will be implemented as needed.

Mike

Just give me a 800 with the DSI tech and an XF high country with a 40-41" stance with swaybar and quick disconnects. This would be a killer machine for us east coasters. Maybe not for the west coast but out east we need a little wider front and some trail capabilities. This is basically a freeride which is why i'm looking there for next year but if can does this than i am all over that.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Oh boy.......

Thunder,

I do not know how much time you have straddling the seat of a pro climb but it takes a good 300 miles to get used to and make the much improved chassis do what you want it to do. The wider body and taller spindles have little ill effects on the machines ability off trail.

Are we a bunch of men or a bunch of mice. I believe the majority of men on here sniveling are hard working, get it done not, afraid of hard work type. So I don't understand why all the whining about a sled that is heavier than a lighter, under powered, weak component sled the Pro RMK is. To me A reliable, heavier, stronger, more powerful sled off sets the extra weight. I'm not afraid to give extra effort to do the same thing on a heavier sled if it means I'll get back to the trailer under my own power due to a blown motor or quick drive belt. Or wont have to MacGyver my front end back on and worry if my tunnel will crumple if I don't land a jump right. The PRO RMK is a excellent Mtn sled but it is not a complete mtn sled. Just like the Proclimb it shares a lot of components with its trail brothers.

When it comes down to it after you take off the stock exhaust cans of each sled the M8 is within 35 pound of the Pro RMK. Most cans for the PC are minus 18lbs. Most cans for the Pro RMK are -9 lbs. If you just get the regular RMK its closer. I don't ride with anyone who cant handle 35 extra pounds.

Don't get me wrong the proclimb isn't perfect. Mine was a drive belt eating, heat generating mofo and I had to spend a lot of cash out of pocket to get it right. But I was never without my sled for one single ride waiting for it to be repaired.

All four manufactures have good stuff and I would own any of them. They all have there problems it comes down to personal choice. I for one is going to man up and keep my skirt out of the hyfax and ride.:face-icon-small-win

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
No not a new chassis, just a refined one! Remember one other thing Yamaha doesn't like the jack shaft arrangement being floating, it causes a problem! What does Yamaha have that Cat gave up? How bout the diamond drive coming back? Would you be acceptable to this if it was beefed up in all the right spots by Yamaha? What do you want to bet Yamaha is designing the drive train with that chassis to use their 4 S engines and Cat will be supplying the 2 S engines? Remember Yami has the funds and Cat all the rest! Remember what we are looking at today they are already 3 to 4 yrs. ahead testing new designs and will be implemented as needed.

Mike

I believe that cat sold the DD rights to Yamaha didn't they? I see nothing but a win-win for the AC and yammy crowds.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I think they are all close enough that the rider will B the diff !! :face-icon-small-ton

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
2014 M8's are really a great sled but for 2015 I snowchecked an Xm my reasons are mostly quality of build and handling.

It would have been nice to see the 800 ctec after the success of the 600 ctec, I wish Cat would re work there plastic and tighten up build tolerance. Hopefully they get some input from yamaha. M8's could drop some easy weight still for one ditch the massive oil res. that the 4 stokes us.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So you guys want a Cat that's;

- Lighter
- Narrower
- No clutching issues
- Better running boards
- Vert steering
- No tall spindles
- Handles better

Why not just buy a Polaris? Honest question...not being an ***. I know that's a loaded question in the Cat section, but you can buy exactly what you are describing today and not have to wait and see what Cat comes out with (or doesn't).

Regardless of manufacturer (Cat included), there is no way you'll see a chassis that debuted in 2012 replaced/overhauled until at least 2017. I would say 5 years for a major model revision is the minimum these days.

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO
Maybe I am to hung up on the 1100. It is a sidehilling PIG.

The couple 800's I was around, weren't as bad just because they were MUCH MUCH lighter. But they had the belt issues.

I have seen some quality riders, and I mean the guys that can really ride, and they have to work their butts off to hang on the side hill like the others.

Just a few things that Cat needs to think about.

As for the comment about looking at 2022. I am looking for the next release by cat. After that the greenies will have us all locked out and we will be on snow shoes anyway.

Thunder

The clutching issues is not wide spread..it only seems that way because you're only hearing the negative side from the small percentage who have had clutching issues. I know it shouldn't exist at all but the bad clutching to good clutching ratio isn't even close. I've gone over 800 miles on my current belt and I ride harder and more aggressive than most.

As for the sidehilling, of course there's a big difference between the 1100 and 800 but I really have zero issues sidehilling my M8. I guess I see some of your cons but not to the severity you describe. And the '14 PCs to my knowledge are 38" wide stance and panel to panel are only about an inch wider than the pros. So I'm not really sure how they're the wide pig you describe. Not jabbing at you but it sounds like maybe you are sitting on the wrong machine for you. Every machine fits people differently. I know multiple friends who have spent that last couple seasons on PROs and this year switched to Proclimbs and won't go. Once you learn this chassis it's the smoothest on the mtn. My .02 :)

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
So you guys want a Cat that's;

- Lighter
- Narrower
- No clutching issues
- Better running boards
- Vert steering
- No tall spindles
- Handles better

Why not just buy a Polaris? Honest question...not being an ***. I know that's a loaded question in the Cat section, but you can buy exactly what you are describing today and not have to wait and see what Cat comes out with (or doesn't).

Regardless of manufacturer (Cat included), there is no way you'll see a chassis that debuted in 2012 replaced/overhauled until at least 2017. I would say 5 years for a major model revision is the minimum these days.

Same reason a guy I know bought a Pro-Lite... He wanted a Pro like sled but brand loyalness runs deep with some.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
The clutching issues is not wide spread..it only seems that way because you're only hearing the negative side from the small percentage who have had clutching issues. I know it shouldn't exist at all but the bad clutching to good clutching ratio isn't even close. I've gone over 800 miles on my current belt and I ride harder and more aggressive than most.

:)

So I visit the PC section now and then and everytime I see clutch/belt/drivetrain issues but it's just a small percentage? But you (not you specifically just generalizing) visit the Pro section and see motor issues and its all of them:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features