• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If you are running a MPI Supercharger

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, I was talking to Mac at MPI about this just the other day.
He made an interesting comment, just in passing..
Have NOT had time to pick his brain over this yet though.

Re-flashed YMC controller only enables bigger injectors.
Still use GEMS.

tt m1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2010
Tioga, ND
I have a 08 nytro mtx with the MPI 280hp kit supercharger and it's been boosted for 3 years now and I hate it most days. I have a lot of money in my nytro the ezryde 174 skid withe a 2.5 extremely track, cromoly front end a-arms, fox float 2, red line tunnel ext, mesh hood without the light. And every time I ride it, it dies all the time I let off the throttle and the pulleys keep falling off. So now it's my back up sled and I went and bought a m1000 turbo and no problems. I asked mpi about why it die after I let off the throttle and they told me it's a common gems setting or some crap like that. If I could do it over I wouldn't bought a mpi charger. The bad part is I was a big big YAMAHA fan (rode them since I was 3 years old) but they won't change anything to be competitive anymore, so I went green. If they change I might go back to blue, but never ever go with MPI again!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ttt.. any news?
Yes.
Back last spring I mentioned that a new Fuel Controller would be coming to market specifically designed for the MPI Supercharged Nytro.

Saturday night I was told it was READY TO SHIP.

I placed my order.

Now I am waiting for it to arrive!

This will replace the GEMs controller completely.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
I have a 08 nytro mtx with the MPI 280hp kit supercharger and it's been boosted for 3 years now and I hate it most days. I have a lot of money in my nytro the ezryde 174 skid withe a 2.5 extremely track, cromoly front end a-arms, fox float 2, red line tunnel ext, mesh hood without the light. And every time I ride it, it dies all the time I let off the throttle and the pulleys keep falling off. So now it's my back up sled and I went and bought a m1000 turbo and no problems. I asked mpi about why it die after I let off the throttle and they told me it's a common gems setting or some crap like that. If I could do it over I wouldn't bought a mpi charger. The bad part is I was a big big YAMAHA fan (rode them since I was 3 years old) but they won't change anything to be competitive anymore, so I went green. If they change I might go back to blue, but never ever go with MPI again!

the m1000 isnt exactly anything new either?

tt m1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2010
Tioga, ND
I didn't say it was new I said I haven't had any problems with my m1000 and it always runs awesome, and no pulleys falling off all the time and don't have to try starting it while going down a hill.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yes.
Back last spring I mentioned that a new Fuel Controller would be coming to market specifically designed for the MPI Supercharged Nytro.

Saturday night I was told it was READY TO SHIP.

I placed my order.

Now I am waiting for it to arrive!

This will replace the GEMs controller completely.

I too am very interested in this, too much adjusting on the GEMS for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am hoping he announces the new product here on SnoWest in the next day or two...

This was a comment he offered me...

Dump Gems, weld O2 bung in exhaust,

psi sensor bung in intercooler,

screw in O2,

screw in psi sensor,

plug in connectors,

fill sled w/ 91 octane (no ethanol) and ride day in and day out.

0- 12lbs boost at 8-10k elevation,

6-9 lbs @ 0-3k.

No muss, no fuss.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Announcement by Nov. 4th.

One thing I did not share with Christopher is that this system will run a sooper OR a turbo within the listed boost limits... one map, no adjustments - EVER. Plug and ride.

Anyone that bought the OEM Yammi boost systems can run this as well, increase boost, and throw away the GEMS.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Announcement by Nov. 4th.

One thing I did not share with Christopher is that this system will run a sooper OR a turbo within the listed boost limits... one map, no adjustments - EVER. Plug and ride.

Anyone that bought the OEM Yammi boost systems can run this as well, increase boost, and throw away the GEMS.

There we go!!

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
so it will be available for Apex? and this has nothing to do with tuning company and more to do with MPI but i am hoping that this product can be priced well? .. i have a buddy with a SC and all we do is mess around with it!!!! Would love somthing to fix the problem but does not want to buy somthing like boost it as its tough to spend money when times are only soso..

Point being is that MPI should be making this affordable based on selling a product with the amount of issue these SC have.. When they are running they are great though..when running

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Assuming the limit on boost is because you are assuming a stock motor. What about those of us with a headshim. Will the system be capable of taking care of more than 12 lbs

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Assuming the limit on boost is because you are assuming a stock motor. What about those of us with a headshim. Will the system be capable of taking care of more than 12 lbs

**EDIT** Use of 91 octane was at 8-10k feet elevation. It is also utilizing an octane "accelerator" such as Torco or Lucas for safety.

The max pump octane rating available on Alaskan test sleds was 90, and these tests also utilized an accelerator.

While our testing pushed the OEM fueling (injector duty cycles, fuel pumps, etc.) to it's ragged edge, we recommend MAXIMUM boost levels of 8 psi @ sea level, and 10 psi at 8000' without further fueling mods, timing changes, and/or compression drops.

In addition, the drag sled mentioned below had MANY other fueling modifications, as well as running race fuel.

You are correct.

Limits are based on OEM setup on 91 octane. That is the market we really want to pursue.

That being said, this same system was pushed (with other fuel modifications) to 15 psi at sea level to set the Alaska State asphalt drag racing record this summer (8/11/2012). That equates to around 18-19 psi at elevation - not bad for a "cheap" solution that actually works...

This system is capable of controlling up to 30 lbs of boost... we haven't had the need to get that insane, but the electronics can (assuming proper fueling hardware is available of course)

-Special thanks to Rick @ OFT Racing for summer asphalt drag testing and results!

Last edited:
M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
so it will be available for Apex? and this has nothing to do with tuning company and more to do with MPI but i am hoping that this product can be priced well? .. i have a buddy with a SC and all we do is mess around with it!!!! Would love somthing to fix the problem but does not want to buy somthing like boost it as its tough to spend money when times are only soso..

Point being is that MPI should be making this affordable based on selling a product with the amount of issue these SC have.. When they are running they are great though..when running

We have one setup on an Ape... the feedback from the customer has been less than great thus far. Not that the system doesn't work, we just have very little feedback.

The 2 systems are different, yet similar (Nytro vs. Ape). With reliable testing subjects, and a small amount of time, I'm certain it (the Ape system) would perform every bit as well as the Nytro system.

We are looking at a price of $550-1000 depending on desired peripherals...

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
←snow∞motion→;3173558 said:
I'll test your kit Moto. Would need help getting it setup but your close, and your Frau can visit WallyWorld.

Holy crap! I thought you sold your Ape! Your test subject could very well be the key to another model break through! Give me a call, and we'll iron out a "sponshureship" deal fur shure!

Premium Features