• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many belts have you blown on your PC800?

How many belts have you blown?

• 0 in 300 miles

Votes: 57 15.3%
  • 0 in 600 miles

Votes: 97 26.1%
  • 0 in 900 miles+

Votes: 86 23.1%
  • 1 in 300 miles

Votes: 35 9.4%
  • 2 in 300 miles

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • 3 in 300 miles

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • 4 in 300 miles

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 5 in 300 miles

Votes: 24 6.5%

• Total voters

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I changed my belt at 1,100 miles because a few threads were showing. Put on another belt and now have 2,007 miles on the sled. Current belt looks good so far

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I had to vote no blown belts in 900 miles but I know when to stop (which really sucks). I have worn out 3 083's and kept the dust from them. I now have enough rubber to mold a 4th belt.

I like the 084 for 2 reasons. One is less dust. It will last twice as long for sure. The other is the color of the dust (greenish). It matches my body panels better.

The fact that they didn't explode doesn't really matter, bottom line is your getting 300 miles a belt. Not great but depending on how hard you ride its not too bad either. But no matter how you look at it, its not 0 belts its still 3.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
My point in posting. I didn't want to lie on the poll. It says blown belts and the #'s would be worse if it said trashed belts. It would also give us a no. of miles to expect out of a belt That would probably be pretty sad number.

Also I would rather turn out a few times or lower the sidehill angle and finish my day happy than just ignore what my left foot is telling me and have to stop and bring out the Leatherman. Bin dere don dat one too many times.

Like I said before, it sucks to be old and have your sled telling you when to relax.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I agree, I screwed the poll up as far as wearing a belt out vs. destroying one.
The poll should have been:
Compared to previous sleds and your own expectations, do you get:
1 - Above average belt wear/life
2 - Average belt wear/life
3 - Below average belt wear/life
4 - Far below average belt wear/life

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The fact that they didn't explode doesn't really matter, bottom line is your getting 300 miles a belt. Not great but depending on how hard you ride its not too bad either. But no matter how you look at it, its not 0 belts its still 3.

300 miles to a belt under certain conditions is pretty decent. Belts are wear items.
Maybe I will kill my first one tomorrow, belt has 290 miles and it is getting DEEP! :)

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Personally I like to get at least 500 miles in the deep and pretty close to zero wear when hero snow comes around.

For me the angles have changed enough with .020" topwear that a performance loss is happening. The 083's I nursed were past .040" at about 200 miles and the top was dished bad. I just was not going to throw another belt at it until I had a reason for the wear.
At a certain point the sled won though.

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Needed some snow in the Sierra and it finally showed up. Our high density snow and warmer temps do magnify the issue. Extreme clutch temps and 083's equal strings a flying

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Sigh. To be fair, now 1 in 350. :(
I now think that it has less to do with good ones/bad ones and more to do with how we are using them.
Bought sled with 100 miles, belt looked great. Rode 200 miles in marginal snow, powder and mountains but nothing really deep. Belt looked great.
Rode 60 in DEEP today, in conditions that the sled was designed for, and blew a belt on the trail on the way out. I knew I hurt it 10 miles earlier after some climbing to get up over a hill. I babied the thing all day, stopped regularly to cool things down, etc. And it still died.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Sigh. To be fair, now 1 in 350. :(
I now think that it has less to do with good ones/bad ones and more to do with how we are using them.
Bought sled with 100 miles, belt looked great. Rode 200 miles in marginal snow, powder and mountains but nothing really deep. Belt looked great.
Rode 60 in DEEP today, in conditions that the sled was designed for, and blew a belt on the trail on the way out. I knew I hurt it 10 miles earlier after some climbing to get up over a hill. I babied the thing all day, stopped regularly to cool things down, etc. And it still died.

This is what I have been saying all along.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Really bums me. I was hoping (not in a negative way) that guys were just beating them to death with hard riding. All I did today was ride deep snow, no abuse, lots of cooldowns. (Which I have never had to do with a sled in my life.)
If Cat doesn't acknowledge/announce a solution by April 20th, no Snochecky for me.
Wish the PooPro wasn't $2000 more than a SP LE 162. :face-icon-small-sho

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Really bums me. I was hoping (not in a negative way) that guys were just beating them to death with hard riding. All I did today was ride deep snow, no abuse, lots of cooldowns. (Which I have never had to do with a sled in my life.)
If Cat doesn't acknowledge/announce a solution by April 20th, no Snochecky for me.
Wish the PooPro wasn't $2000 more than a SP LE 162. :face-icon-small-sho

Where are you getting your prices at? They're within $200 here

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Don't jump buddy!

What am I saying! Sorry cut my finger and sucked in a bit of green blood.

I believe many are feeling as you are now. Unsure. Is it really true. Can't happen to me too, can it?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Lol.
200 Horse full mod Cutler King Cat last year - some time, lots of fun
200+ RKT M1000 this year - tons of time, no fun
Stock PC this year, tons of fun, starting to take more time than I would like
All the RMK guys I ride with - tons of fun, no time involved (Other than waiting on engines at the dealer.)
Dealers are selling new kitties cheap. :)
Buddy with Pro wants to ride today, my sled is in pieces. Angers my bunghole.

A

AC188

I havent read all the belt threads here and this has probably been adressed but 2 things i'm always curious of (that isnt mentioned) is belt break in, and do you run high speed runs on your mountain sled? I'v built a few turbo M8's and worked on a few PC800's and in my experiences lots of people arent breaking them in right or they are racing there buddies down the trail. That seems to blow a belt almost everytime with some guys that have 0 belt issues otherwise. The other issue on the PC800 is I see people who dont get the lower tab popped in to the belly on the clutch side cover and snow is getting into the clutches. The break-in issue I noticed first hand was a CPC race gas turbo M8- my first ride on it (first ride on sled ever) the stock belt was fraying in less than 30 miles. I made it a point to break in the 2nd belt (turned down boost a few psi) and broke it in for 10-15 miles. That belt ended up lasting 700+ miles with no other changes. Just my observations.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Lol if i had a nickel for every time i have heard belt brake in this year. I could buy another belt!!!

Hahaha

I think its sticky primarys, loose tolerances secondarys, too small of jackshaft thickness. And motor mounts being too soft.

Thats my guess im pulling cords on both sides one of my clutches isnt letting go!!

-aksnopro

A

AC188

Are you saying its less important this year to break in a belt?

And oddly enough we've had several sticking primarys that we replaced but none of them took out belts before hand. On 2010 to 2012 models

K
Jan 16, 2012
6 belts in 640 miles. figured out if u run the sleds no more than 2/3 throttle you WILL NOT GRENADE A BELT. if u squeeze it and hold it no matter how much u "break in" your belt it will grenaaaade and take out your clutch cover. gotten pretty good at noticing RPM change and noise when she is ready to blow. Been told by a cat tech that the 083 belt is about a 1/2 inch too short.. supporting the reason when Primary is @ full squeeze its slipping the belt rubbing down the threds till they pull then they catch on clutch and just Peeeel's itself appart.... my theory only.:baby:

I agree with you totally!!! I am apart of the Krazy Canadian and Boondockers sled team. I recently just came back from the mountains and my HCR was a belt eater! 5 belts in 200ish miles. It didnt matter how i broke the belts in, if i ever put the sled to the bar i could feel my belt chattering and knew that i was F%ck$%. The snow was waste deep but that should not matter. I have ridden in snow like that countless times and have never had an issue. I dont mind replacing belts after 300 to 400 miles but 5 in that time frame is a little exsessive. Also broke the rollers in my secondary on day 1 of this trip. Went to main jet and they DO NOT carry the stock arctic cat rollers bc they are junk. Then day 3 rolls around and the spider in my primary went. I am not impressed with this sled and probably will never buy another arctic cat again.

Premium Features