• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When's a belt trashed

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Obviously when a belt breaks it's done. I've heard the negative effects on an engine when belts break and curious how you all monitor your belt life. I have not broke a belt yet on my m-8, not that I'm breaking records, but I'm guessing 600-800 miles a year. I just noticed my current belt had half the outer cord pulled out on one side. Do you all keep running them? Do you only run a certain amount of miles before you replace a belt? Let's hear some solid guidance from the snowest forum masters.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
when my sled is new i break in three to four belts..100 miles each..then reset the deflection and that way i can generally just change a belt without having to do a thing..

in your case i would put another belt on..if it pulls a cord you have some issues...if it doesn;t then leave it on and feel abit safer of having the belt with the pulled cord as a suitable spare to get ya out of a bind

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
On a stock sled where a blown belt is unlikely to cause serious damage, I run them until I get a few cords out & I get sick of cutting the cords.

On my sled I pull them after 400 or so miles, cutler told me to throw away the belt after 200... but it has been said that he's a TAD conservative!!!

But Kevin... I just ride the trails around grand lake mostly...:face-icon-small-win

Good finally riding with you on monday btw, gotta get back out once there's some real snow!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
TYPICALLY ONCE THEY THROW A CORD- THEY R ABOUT SHOT

THEY GO FAST AFTER THEY THROW A CORD

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Just run it.

I pulled a cord in three belts when I was having clutching issues but couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Once I solved my issues I decided to give the old belts a try and see how long they last.

I've got 250 miles this year on the first belt with cords missing and still working good :face-icon-small-dis.

If its an 046 typically they don't explode but they do separate. I run them till they are shot.

FYI I machined the flat area on the sheaves to allow for more belt deflection adjustment. I can now run all my buddies belts that don't allow them to adjust for the proper deflection anymore. :face-icon-small-hap

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Great, thanks for the input. Kaleb, 400 miles on the turbo could get expensive, considering how fast that track spins, I'm sure you have a pile of belts in your trash can! I picked up a new 046 to break in and start running. I'll monitor for any unusual cord pulling wise on my other used spare. I figure that belt had 800 miles on it at least, including numerous over the hood powder days where things were pinned for quite a while and got pretty toasty. It sounds like cords pulling out make a belts life pretty much over. Any other signs, or general milage guidance for belt life on non boosted sleds?

Premium Features