• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So who eles is already having belt problems

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
After the first trip to BC we are down 3 belts between two sleds (Cords hanging out, not totally blown). Only about 120 miles total over 3 days.

Getting the same BS response form dealer about not properly breaking the belts in, even though the first belt I lost was washed, scuffed and had a 18 mile break in. There was no heavy continuous riding that would have even got the clutches hot.

The alinement has been checked again and is correct according to cat, and I checked the secondary for the jack shaft play, its fine. I found a solid black ring of rubber about 3/4" wide at the bottom of the primary at the end of the last day. This and the fact that the defection changed a lot very quickly leads me to think that the side clearance on the primary is not set properly.

We were also experiencing a lot of belt chatter as we were riding tight trees and where in and out of the throttle all the time. Could this also be a result of improper clearances.

Is anyone else experiencing this. I would really like to get this sorted out before the spool goes on so any help would be great.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Are you sure you didn't try to go with the emergency brake on ???Sounds like you burnt the belt ..
:face-icon-small-sad

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Call Kelsey, RKT. He is on to something. He is hearing something. I didn't pay much attention. He posted a question on someones thread a few days ago. Hope this helps more then "12 feet- No problems".

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I think this along with your low track speed means something is not right in the clutches

I completely agree with you, but my dealer/AC seems to think other wise.

Also seems to be a larger problem b/c the other pro climb we had tossed a thread out of the belt on the first day as well. He just kept running his and I changed mine hence the reason he only toasted one belt. My second belt never made the second day and it had a tread hanging out, and be danged if I was going to put a third on for it to chew up as well.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Post a pic, A single thread hanging out?? I've had that happen before no big deal unless it has completely come apart.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Going West

I have noticed also like Kelsey, the belt chatter at very low speeds as you coast to a stop. I don't know the cause yet. Like maybe the driven clutch griping the rubber as the driven clutch turns and it sticks. dont know only wondering.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
The guys at MDS say the cat primary spring is way too soft and poor quality. Could that be it? Can you get it on a track stand and see if the secondary opens all the way?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You should check those screws in the secondary that hold the plastic in. The cat testing guys and engineers said to cut the thread off and run it, its what they do and said its rarely if ever a problem, no point in changing the belt over it.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Well I would beg to differ about a thread not being a big deal. It just keeps pulling out. Ive tried everything to keep it form happening. Cut, or burn it off makes not difference, even tried gluing the thread back in. It always keeps pulling out till the belt fails.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I completely agree with you, but my dealer/AC seems to think other wise.

Also seems to be a larger problem b/c the other pro climb we had tossed a thread out of the belt on the first day as well. He just kept running his and I changed mine hence the reason he only toasted one belt. My second belt never made the second day and it had a tread hanging out, and be danged if I was going to put a third on for it to chew up as well.

I wouldn't call a thread coming loose, toasting a belt. I think you are being a lot too cautious. If you have a tear in a track lug, are you going to change the whole track? If I see a couple loose threads on my belts I'll just trim them or singe them with a lighter and keep running it, and I'm running 10 psi boost. If the belt is good its good, a little fray isn't going to kill it.

How is your clutch heat?

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I'm not too sure about those little cooling fans on the primary. It looks like it will cool the outer sheave more than the inner. Thoughts on this possibly affecting belts?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
You should check those screws in the secondary that hold the plastic in. The cat testing guys and engineers said to cut the thread off and run it, its what they do and said its rarely if ever a problem, no point in changing the belt over it.

Can you ellaborate ? Not sure what you are talking about.

M
Feb 27, 2010
i think most of it snow.the front hood vent needs frog skins. it goes straight to the back of the clutch. i'm glad the belts are in but we have over 20 800s and 2turbos on the snow and only i belt.i feel its mostly slippage from snowdust on the trails and over the hood dry pow.there is a frog skinz made for below the gauge on the M that covers the vent. its also a good idea to add a screw to the bottom of the airbox so it doesn't flex out.u should also replace the foam where the airbox locks onto the sled with some hd weather stripping.just waiting for some more pow for some more testing.o ya the turbo is on another level for out of the box power house. let it snow............

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
So let me get this straight, just so I'm not mistaken. Its perfectly normal for a 140 dollar belt to have 6-8 inches of tread pull out of it in less then 20 miles. Got yeah. So all I have to do is clean all the belt fuzz out of the clutch every day till the first couple wraps pull out, then it should be good to go for another couple 100 miles. You'd would think this would be mentioned in the manual.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
the drive system in these sleds have had what,over 70 years of developement..??..i don;t think its acceptable to have ANY issue this day and age..these manufactures need their butts kicked..

Premium Features