• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS just off the dyno with 2012 162

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Backshift is as good or better than any other clutching setup I have used for mountain riding but more track speed, you can tweak it a little for one style or the other but for my style (in the trees on the steep and deep) they performed with more track speed and great backshift. If you need a sheet with graph chit on it then go to the bathroom, could care less about dyno's and graphing, I go off of what happens in the mountains.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
MDS

Only place I ride is the hills and if they didn't backshift as good or better they wouldn't be for sale.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Wyo, you measure results by taking dumps and the feel of your pants......nothing wrong with that, but what if I told you I can also guarantee you 10% performance increase by spending money with my company building you a clutch kit that will rock the stock clutching in your "new, never seen snow before" snowmobile........you gonna believe me without something to back it up?:face-icon-small-dis
One liners like you gave me do not instill confidence, they tell me you know something and you're keeping it from me.(The last post was perfect, your experience, your sled. PERFECT) Nothing against you, you're not marketing these weights, you're just a happy customer. I get that, but you don't help MDS's cause without some data to back up your claims. And if you're simply trying to add your two cents without wanting to get into a big discussion, then tell us your experience and leave the answering of questions to the people doing the marketing. (Seriously, not a slam or a dig in anyway, I rather enjoy and "Thanks" your posts more often than others online.)
Wyo, I also apologize for thinking you ment that backshift was great on the new sled tested. I didn't realize you were talking about your personal sled.:becky:

I appreciate that you guys ride the hills, so do I. But my question was not abnormal to ask. I'm not asking what the seat of your pants tell you on last years models, or your personal sleds, I'm asking what the gains and benefits are on the sled strapped to the dyno right now. The graphs, the numbers, all the information we ask for is sitting on the computer screen in front of you. If you want to come across as the performance leader and all around good guy wanting to "expose" the masses to your product, transparency goes a long way. :face-icon-small-blu

*Again, hoping I'm not coming off strong cause that wasn't the intention, but the whole bait and hook technique is long in the tooth. Consumers aren't buying those sales methods anymore, at least, not like they used to when all they had to go on was your word.

I was there 10 years ago when I tried showing people dyno graphs and explaining how we got the increases we did. All I got back was one liners like, "No way my sled looses 50% power to the track", "stock clutching is optimal, you're bsing us" etc etc. :frusty:
I know the crowd can be hard to reach when they don't know, and can't wrap their heads around something they don't understand.
But, for those of us that do understand what you are saying......a simple, "backshift tests show that optimal RPM is reached in under 3/4's of a second." That would suffice for me, cause I know you guys are on the up and up and wouldn't post unless you are ready to back the product. But before I spend money on "miracle weights" that will gain me 10hp at the track without any other changes, I'm gonna ask these questions.....cause if it's true, you stumbled on something nobody has been able to do in the past.(Or are the weights simply part of a bigger "clutch kit" that is offered? Am I off base, one way or another? Experience tells me that it is a complete kit that will net you the gains you've posted, and not weights alone.)

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
reeb, its all good, no worries. I have been in this mds weight debate many times in the past so where do I start, thats why my posts are that way.

Here is the best part, MDS is backed with a money back guaranty. Need I say more.

On the older sleds, havent had the chance on the new ones yet.

Backshift- all the weights I have tried always spiked rpm and then settled, the MDS weights when setup right get right to the peak rpm and hold, no erratic spiking. The also hold rpm better than any others, once it hits rpm they hold within 50-100rpm from peak. That should tell you how well they backshift backshift. This is on my mod m1000 and my TM8.

Not to mention cooler belt temps.

When sidehilling and running the throttle or getting in and out of the throttle to maneuver the backshift is very quick.

I did have problems with the m1000 and could not get them to work the way MDS and myself thought they should, after extra motor mounts and a secondary rebuild they work great, so if your not seeing the results I would suggest going through everything and making sure its not a different problem, with these weights it will bring out the problems quick if there is any.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
They are different than anything I,ve seen before, but I'm glad I did. The only clutching change I'm going to make is bolt on last years MDS weights and tune them in to how I like my sled to feel. I`ve tried lots before and only installing MDS weights got me so close it wasn`t worth dinking with the rest of it.
You`ll never see them on a stock sled, because they make the motor and drive line work harder.

Sounds like the new secondary backshifts a little harder than last year. If the 800's can run with some weight in the middle hole and still backshift as good as last year then I,m looking forward to the added usable torque.

Reeb. You need to put them side by side with any weight you want, on a pin, to see what MDS did. If you've seen this curve, pin location and it's relation to weight distribution in any production weight before, I'll be surprised.
They backshift themselves. I run them with a Cat silver at 74 something grs. No heat.
Next time your in the 'loops I'll let you touch one if you want LOL, but you can't have mine.

As for trying to reason out performance gains or how to prove performance gains in any sport, good luck. If you haven't felt it how do you know what your missing or not missing.

One thing that stands out with MDS is "money back if unsatisfied". When did you see that in our sport. How do they do it? Steve answers the phone and helps until it`s right. Very unique in any sport.

IMHO best bang for your buck to get some added performance on your Cat.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
One thing that stands out with MDS is "money back if unsatisfied". When did you see that in our sport. How do they do it? Steve answers the phone and helps until it`s right. Very unique in any sport.

IMHO best bang for your buck to get some added performance on your Cat.

Only time I have ever seen a money back guaranty for anything on a sled.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
mds, I am looking for a set of arms for a m1100turbo. It is likely going to have a power adder on it of some sort. I don't want to have to fiddle with the weights. Do you feel as though you will be able to hit a target added hp after you get a stock m1100t to test? If so my money will likely go to you.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We will be testing M1100T weights on the snow as soon as riding starts. Various boost levels and elevations. Steve will hit the dyno as well.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Confusion....

so with the 2012 LE800 on the track dyno you gained 9.7hp with the MDS weights?
so was this sled clutched with factory weights for the elevation? then a dyno run performed?
ie: stock Cat comes clutched for 9000ft
if the initial dyno run was done at 3000ft with a 9000ft setup then yes 9.7hp is very believable! but I believe you could achieve that with stock cat weights.
for me, i truly believe that the clutching thing is all over thought, I have bought a 1100T and all I am doing is throwing primary weight at it when I add the chip and just like my Apex it will rock, remember, 4 stroke clutching is different, always weight up to make it almost hit max RPM, 4 strokes love to work!
Just food for thought

B

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
so with the 2012 LE800 on the track dyno you gained 9.7hp with the MDS weights?
so was this sled clutched with factory weights for the elevation? then a dyno run performed?
ie: stock Cat comes clutched for 9000ft
if the initial dyno run was done at 3000ft with a 9000ft setup then yes 9.7hp is very believable! but I believe you could achieve that with stock cat weights.
for me, i truly believe that the clutching thing is all over thought, I have bought a 1100T and all I am doing is throwing primary weight at it when I add the chip and just like my Apex it will rock, remember, 4 stroke clutching is different, always weight up to make it almost hit max RPM, 4 strokes love to work!
Just food for thought

B

You can be skeptic all you want, when these first hit the market people where throwing all kinds bs around. When they came out I had been looking for something like them for a while and was one of few that got exactly what the potential was. Truth is the weights are built different and add efficiency to the clutching. I ran them in my turbo, change them out on the hill, same day, same boost, same rpm, same hill. 36* straight helix and gained 9mph track speed, 36/46 helix gained 4.5mph track speed. Thats a lot more than 9hp to gain that much track speed at elevation, and I had no complaints about the previous clutching.

Even more so, why come on here and try and make up stories of what wont work, or something must be wrong with the numbers, when there is a money back guaranty and you can find out for yourself with a little time and no cost.

Premium Features