• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 dodge 1500 wont come out of 4-wheel drive

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ya I was, My truck has the little knob below the heater controls that you switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive.

Same with my 04, next thing I would do is see if it's the hub that are not unlocking or if every thing is locked in 4x4. Someone that actually knows the system will prob chime in.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ya I was, My truck has the little knob below the heater controls that you switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive.

You have the electronic shift? Whole different ballgame now. I'd crawl under it and see if you can disconnect the electric part and manually shift the T case. Also, have somebody shift it and see if the motor is working. Make sure the parking brake is on.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Check your fuses! when ever you have an electrical problem always check your fuses! You have no idea how many cars and trucks i have fixed with fuses. Its not always the problem but you would be suprised how often it is.

80 ponies

Nov 26, 2007
Bancroft Idaho
I went to take it to the shop this morning, and when I backed out of the driveway it disengaged. But I took it any way, Mechanic couldnt find anything wrong though. He must have put it in and out of 4-wheel drive a dozen time and it worked every time. Thaks for all the advice from everyone.

M
Mar 7, 2008
same thing happened to me. it shifted back on it's own after driving it about 60 miles ( a long /slow 60 miles in 4 low coming back from snowmobiling trip)

that was over 10,000 miles ago and have had no problems since.

R

rdnorman

Apr 19, 2008
On some of the fords i drive for work i have to drive in reverse for the t case to come out of 4 low. some times it can be up to a quarter mile before the dam thing comes out.

On some of the fords i drive for work i have to drive in reverse for the t case to come out of 4 low. some times it can be up to a quarter mile before the dam thing comes out.

I've got a 98 ford with on the fly 4wheel drive and even with that I almost always come to a stop, put truck in nuetral then put in 4wheel drive. Then when go to disengage I again come to a stop, put truck in nuetral, then put truck in reverse and then into drive and you can feel it disengage. Hope this helps.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
You may want to have the alignment checked. I have an '02 Dakota work truck and it was having a hell of a time coming out of 4WD and when it did it would make a big bang. I got new tires and an alignment and now it works fine.

Premium Features