• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09-10 Ram 1500 (How's the pulling)

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
Anyone do any pulling with the new 390 hp half ton ram's yet? Just curious how they do pulling the bigger inclosed trailers and how the gas mpg is. :beer;
Thanks

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Why is it a joke? It should ride and handle great with absoloutely no wheel hop in the deep snow. Curious.

O

otamywy

Jan 18, 2010
colorado
Ya, the sag is crazy on the 1/2 tons. Loved the truck, but not for towing or hauling the weight. I ended up going back to a 3/4 ton.

S

skywagon guy

Feb 2, 2010
Hey guys, don't put down the 1500 to far. I've got an 09 Larmie 1500 and it works great with my 2 place Charmac snowmobile trailer. Doesn't squat at all with the coils. Live in Frisco,CO. and run the mountain passes all over the state. Pulled this same trailer with a 1994 F-150 and it always let you know the trailer was back there. Power was poor on long hills, slowing down to 20-25 near top. Next came a 06 F-150 and it was not much better on pulling power and it let you know the trailer was back there also. Both fords had 4 speed auto trannies and biggest V-8s available. The Ford's just didn't handle the trailer like I thought they would, handling with trailer just so-so. Bought Dodge last April after snowmobiling ended and towed my 2 place enclosed to summer storage in Kremmling, CO. It handled so much better it was hard to believe, couldn't hardly tell it was back there. Next I pulled my son's 4 place loaded triton down there and it did great, no sag. Couldn't wait to see what it would do on a grade. Any of you that know Fremont Pass from Copper Mountain Ski area to Leadville know how steep the grade is. My 06 F-150 would be down to 20-25 at top. The Dodge will hit 70 at the top with the trailer. It will pull the I-70 Eisenhour Tunnel grade from Silverthorne to the tunnel at 70 with trailer, a lot of cars won't do that. Looks like around 12 to 14 mpg. on fuel, pulling trailer and around 20 on the highway empty I'm a happy dude, better run out and get one.
Ron

bamb800

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2008
Fountain City, WI
I've hauled a car on a 20 ft steel car trailer, and our 18 ft steel stock trailer full of hay and it does awesome. The transmission, in tow/haul mode, works just like an Allison, automatically shifting down when braking. The coil suspension is a little soft for large loads. I plan on adding some air bags. When empty, it rides better than most cars. Gas mileage isn't the best, but not bad, and the power is awesome.

Premium Features