• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water pump and oil pump belt

S
Nov 24, 2009
Idaho
So I was planning on doing my own water pump belt, and having a friend help that i had thought replaced these before, and he said that there is some things we need to make sure that we do that he didnt know. He was going to call someone he knew to see what we make sure we do. Now he has me worried of doing it myself. I seached the forum and couldn't find any threads on this. I have already purchased the belt and it has specific instructions, such as direction and measuring tesion and such. Any other things that i need to pay special attention to. Anything will help.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Pretty easy. Remove the pipe, undo all the recoil bolts, remove recoil, remove starter cup, change belt out. Install starter cup, then recoil, just make sure oil pump slot lines up. Good time to check/replace starter rope.

J
Nov 26, 2009
eugene
Nothing to it just did mine,10 mil socket for recoil 8mil for oil pump let the oil pump hang pull recoil over to were your can was and slide the belt off oil pump drive side put new one on put it back together.

S
Nov 24, 2009
Idaho
Thanks guys, did it this morning and was very easy. Would be very easy yo replace on the trail. Question is, how do u know if the belt broke on the trail, would is over heat or the oil light come on?

P
Nov 16, 2009
Nashwauk, MN
I always carry 12 ounces of oil with me, can be used in the chaincase and mixing for that matter, but yest you will have issues driving it home. I had the belt break out in the middle of no where. Good friend of mine, advised pulling grommet on bottom of oil tank and drain into a container, then into the Gas tank and shake around to mix. I eliminated a melt down, but had to take my time getting back, no Water pump, and as soon as light came on, shut 'er down.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Thanks guys, did it this morning and was very easy. Would be very easy yo replace on the trail. Question is, how do u know if the belt broke on the trail, would is over heat or the oil light come on?

You would overheat and it may be too late to save the engine by the time that happens because the oil pump does not work either when the belt breaks.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
you will more then likeliy over heat before you seize the motor. the temp light will come on, careful on the premix theory because on the 01 and newer the outer crank bearing has no hole drilled in the case. so no oil to it

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I always carry 12 ounces of oil with me, can be used in the chaincase and mixing for that matter, but yest you will have issues driving it home. I had the belt break out in the middle of no where. Good friend of mine, advised pulling grommet on bottom of oil tank and drain into a container, then into the Gas tank and shake around to mix. I eliminated a melt down, but had to take my time getting back, no Water pump, and as soon as light came on, shut 'er down.

The best solution is to replace it every 2 or 3 seasons depending on the miles you ride. I actually helped a guy change his out on the hill. I would not ride one w/o the belt on it at all.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
I carry a spare belt, just keep the old one in the seat compartment. Also on our sleds, I drill a hole just above the belt, through the recoil housing, makes it easy to check the belt.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
I carry a spare belt, just keep the old one in the seat compartment. Also on our sleds, I drill a hole just above the belt, through the recoil housing, makes it easy to check the belt.

X2 on drilling an inspection hole. Put it where you can see the edge of the gear. Can put a piece of tape over it if worried about moisture.

Premium Features