• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'97 Ranger 4.0L questions..

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
so i have manual locking hubs on my ranger, will it hurt anything if i keep them locked all the time? i get tired of getting out and locking them everytime i come across something sketchy.

also, what's the best exhaust for this motor? i've heard magnaflow or flowmaster original 40, is there exhaust kits that i can buy where i choose the muffler? all i can find is catback systems with the muffler already included

R
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeangelas
i leave my hubs locked all winter but dont usually go over 55 with them locked. i figure if its nice enough to run over 55 the hubs can come out :D havent had a problem yet, had the truck for 9 years now and has over 200000 on it now. as for exhaust, the best one i heard on a ranger was a borla. thats what i was going to put on but i have to many toys to put into my pickup :beer;

B
Jan 20, 2009
As for locking the hubs its gunna cause wear on your front end( not much but by leaving them locked your front axle will be turning all the time) And Its going to effect your milage( not much but by having the axle turning it creates drag) I always left them un-locked on my 96 f-150 for these reasons. But if it ever snowed and the roads were icy I'd leave them locked for the day.
As for exhaust I magnaflow or gibson cat back are probly your best bet.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeangelas
ive heard most of the exhausts for the 4.0 and the borla was the one that sounded the best to me. gives it the most grunty of sound, that is if your looking to change the sound rather than looking for performance... personal preference :D

Premium Features