• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TIRE Chains

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Need chains for pickup to get out of parking lot. What kind would you get and were?

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
v bar chains, get them at most tire shops for around $100. Tryggs are very aggressive with 3/4 inch corks, and expensive too at around a hundred PER chain. don't waste your time or money on any that use cables or plates as traction lugs. get what you pay for.....:beer;

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If you really use them get chains. Gonna cost $50 to $100 but you will be happy but can't go fast. Sweet spot is 10MPH-20MPH. Going t6oo slow and you feel like you are in a blender .. too fast and it will come apart and take part of the vehicle with it.

With cables ... if you really need them them cables will probably break. With cables you can go 35MPH

Get those circular rubber bands with hooks to hold them together.

For a light truck diamond chains vibrate less ... reinforced chains are very rigged.

For cables vheck out z-chain.

The cheapest will be the chain going straight across the tire.

A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
We run both cable and chains within our company. Have about 90 water trucks that all run chains, and most of our pickups that are not pulling or one tons. It doesn't matter what type of chains you run if you run them enough they all break, so check often, and when in doubt replace, its really expensive if you whip them up on your quarter panels!! Whatever you do make sure they are a v-bar style or diamond cable design. Chains are good but they don't stop your side to side movement.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I usually carry a set of four regular tire chains with the "V" ice cleats for the truck and carry a set of cables that I can put on the trailer if needed. The trailre is a 28 foot enclosed and if the wind is blowing really hard and it is a sheet of ice I will put the trailer cables on to keep from sliding so easily. I do have a set of four Tryggs if it looks like it might get real nasty....guess you can tell I do live way out in the country huh?? Always want to be prepared...:eek:

Premium Features