• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tether Install Step-by-Step With Pics

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
malfunction

have to try what killerf did and see if it will make mine work.and ooopps pulled a little to hard and popped one of the white covers off no big slid right back in .

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
Updated the original post with metric equivalents for our foreign friends. :beer;

Two oxymorons in one sentence. :face-icon-small-hap

Now that's funny...
seriously though, thanks for taking the time with instructions and photos for the rest of us, it's going to make installing mine much easier.

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
Did this to my 2012 last night.
Only thing I would add is, before you push the paper clip into the white cap to release the pin, push the wire into the plug from behind and hold the wire in while pushing the paper clip in to release the pin. If you don't hold the wire in the plug, the paper clip tends to push the wire back and the pin will not release.
Great set of directions, very clear and great with pics.

Thanks very much for all the work.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Nice write up. Now if my dealer ever gets my tether. They say its on back order for over a month now.

Apr 10, 2013
Lethbridge AB
Good write up thanks. After reading a few of the replies from people that have installed their tether switch by tapping into the main harness and having issues. I decided to tap into the wires(black/blue,purple/red) that come from the shutt off switch. Opened up the wiring loom,found the wires and soldered the tether switch wires there,just below where you mount the contact button for the switch.. No issues with wires not long enough,and didn't have to mess with the main harness.Tried both the shutt off switch and tether switch,worked as they should.Off to the mountains in January.

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
I installed my tether last January and had a few rides with no issues. This year on the first deep powder day the tether and kill switch quit working. Key still worked. Unplugged the harness, cleaned, looked for loose wire or pins, greased it up and all was good in the shop both teather and kill switch worked fine. Went for a ride yesterday, both quit working again. I am beggining to think that having to remove the pins from the harness plugg may have damaged them or the locking tap on the pins is not seating properly. Anyhow, back on the stand and apart she comes again.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I've kinda tried everything and still no luck.

Installed mine yesterday in my M6000. Couple things to try.
1. Are you putting the paper clip into the little round slot next to the slot. I didn't at first.

2. My black blue took ALOT more of a firm tug than I expected. Was about to give up and in frustration gave it a firm tug with a pair of needle nose pliers for grip and it popped out.

Purple red slid right out with little effort

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Installed mine yesterday in my M6000. Couple things to try.

1. Are you putting the paper clip into the little round slot next to the slot. I didn't at first.

2. My black blue took ALOT more of a firm tug than I expected. Was about to give up and in frustration gave it a firm tug with a pair of needle nose pliers for grip and it popped out.

Purple red slid right out with little effort

Bingo!! Thanks!!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I installed my tether last January and had a few rides with no issues. This year on the first deep powder day the tether and kill switch quit working. Key still worked. Unplugged the harness, cleaned, looked for loose wire or pins, greased it up and all was good in the shop both teather and kill switch worked fine. Went for a ride yesterday, both quit working again. I am beggining to think that having to remove the pins from the harness plugg may have damaged them or the locking tap on the pins is not seating properly. Anyhow, back on the stand and apart she comes again.

Bumping this up.

This exact same thing is happening to me. Key works. Neither the tether nor the kill switch do however.

You find your problem?

beerios5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2013
east kootney
I also had to extend mine as it was too short. Ran it on the console last year but found it a pain in the *** to put the tether on with gloves on. Extended wires more and ran it up to the back of the riser block.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Instead of messing around with connectors would it be alright to install/jumper the tether switch across the black/blue and purple red wires.
thanks

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Like this?
9a9bce667d04245390b6fd1ac483f681.jpg

Works fine!

GS6

M
Aug 11, 2008
After fighting the connectors with the paper clip and swapping jumpers on the first sled I decided that is the last time I deal with that nonsense. On my second sled I pulled back the tank and jumpered the tether wires to the black/blue and purple/red in the upper connector with heat shrink butt connectors. Neat way to do it and a fraction of the effort and time.:)

Premium Features