• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Maintenance. What maintenance needs to be performed and how often?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Brief overview:

Spring service-drain the gas, oil in the cyclinders, grease the chasis.

Fall service-everything else-both clutches(big subject), check all wheel bearings, bolts, ski alignment, track/tension alignment, clean exhaust valves, check Y pipe bolts, new spk. plugs, chain tension, change chain oil, check water pump belt, check engine compression, shocks, drive belt/deflection, starter recoil, wax the hood & clean the engine compartment. Look everything over carefully for wear, loose parts etc.

In season depends on mileage & other factors. Is your sled kept inside? Did you hit something? Easy riding or agressive banging the moguls. Grease often 300 miles or 30 days (lower drive shaft bearing more often) & watch track tension/alignment, ski alignment, chain tension & belt deflection.

Probably too brief and forgetting some things but that shoud get this topic started for you.

J

jay_boom

Dec 15, 2007
Southwestern, AB
just to add to the wax and cleaning part, I used to get alot of flak for this because i polish and clean the crap out of my sleds after each ride, not because i want to be the cleanest sled out there but it makes it alot easier to see things like cracks and breaks in welds ect. and it is alot nicer servicing a sled you can put your hands under the hood and have them be clean after your done your service work too..but too each his own.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
dumbazz

Rebuild everything after every ride. These things are notoriously unreliable.

Go back to the Doo-doo section and rant there. Better yet, stfu! :mad:

Your :clock: will come. :p

Grease often as stated, tighten suspension bolts every 3-4 rides. Run clean fuel, it is a good idea to install a small Racor filter so water doesn't get into carbs.

S
Nov 27, 2007
G town
Add gas every ride
oil somtimes as long as you can afford it
put new belt on when the old one falls off
keep trunk full of empty beer cans
top up the parts as they break
and don't forget save your spare time for looking online about servicing rather than actually doing it

"Go back to the Doo-doo section and rant there. Better yet, stfu!

Your will come.

Grease often as stated, tighten suspension bolts every 3-4 rides. Run clean fuel, it is a good idea to install a small Racor filter so water doesn't get into carbs. " MARV1

Settle down buddy it's called humor and why would I go to the doo section when I ride a Polaris?

Premium Features