• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 AXYS-MTN REACT™ 37" WIDE SUSPENSION, IFS SHOCK LENGTHS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
2019 AXYS-MTN REACT™ 37" WIDE SUSPENSION, IFS SHOCK LENGTHS

Many of you had questions about the IFS-shock (Ski shock) lengths.

For the 2019 AXYS-600/800/850 RMK sleds, all that have the 37" wide React™ front suspension...

IFS shocks... 2019 RMK chassis
15.95" extended
10.25" Compressed
5.7" Stroke

In comparison to the previous AXYS sleds with the 40" wide front suspension.

16.63" extended
10.86" Compressed
5.77" Stroke

So....
The difference in length, Extended, is 0.68" (about 5/8")
The difference in length, Compressed, is 0.61" (about 5/8")
The difference in stroke is 0.07"

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
For those of you with narrow fronts on your current AXYS-RMK's... if your shocks were already setup to the optimal length that gave you factory ride height... for example the suggested length of of ZBroz was 10.25" I believe, you should be good to bolt either the shocks or the whole suspension on your 2019 sled.

If you already have your narrow front WITH shocks on your AXYS RMK...Like a K-Mod, Alt-impact, Z-broz etc... you can bolt the whole package onto the 2019.

To use the 2018/17/16 Axys-RMK K-Mod 37" A-arms on the 2019, you will have to use the longer shocks from the 2018/17/16.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Agree to disagree here.

Though for the system to work perfectly you are right, I would personally have no problems running my aftermarket shock on the new sled, either shimmed (to make the eye to eye the same) or not.

Losing sing 3/4" of stroke isn't the end of the world (basically what it'd take to shim it).

Alternatively, keeping things the same and running more sag (to achieve the same ride height) again, not that big of a deal.

Is this ideal? No. But in the end its not going to be the end of the world...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Hey, we can all disagree cordially here for sure.

I do agree that it is not the 'end of the world'... not many things are.

Here's my opinion.

In an eyes wide open perspective though, I've seen people ride their 36" fronts from aftermarket suppliers for their AXYS mtn sleds and not shortened the shocks.

This puts a lot more ski pressure into the sled and changes the way the rear skid cooperates with the front. The front ride height is raised when you run longer shocks than what it was designed for... you also change the bump steer character when you push the arm angle too far down as the lower mount point is moved inboard.

Will it bolt up, Yes... will it be at al optimal... nope... would I rather have the stock REACT™-length shocks, at the right length, or the aftermarket shocks at the wrong length...
I would rather have the factory shocks in that scenario... and have them valved and setup for my weight and riding style... hands down.

Shimmed or not, you will be hard bottoming out the shock and you will be decreasing your travel on the front end if you run the .61" longer shock.

Harder on the a-arms, harder on the shocks, harder on handling... IMO.

The new shocks have the same amount of travel as before... but are shorter on both extended and compressed.

The ideal setup would be to send you shocks in to have the body shortened if they can.... Or, Sell your good used shocks for a good used price and take that money, add the same amount as you'd spend to mod your old ones... and have a pair of bolt on new shocks on your sled.

All that being said, there are plenty of people out there that run their shocks this way... and are happy with it... Most of which have not run a correct length shock on their sled for direct comparison however.

There are also many people out there that swear by the stock shocks... and just like the other refinements, Polaris/WE have worked on these.

I've seen people run the 17.5 ProRide shocks on their 16.63" Axys before...and they swear by them... to me, when riding that sled, it wore out my shoulders and the sled was quirky compared to the stock shocks. I've observed the same on the 36" fronts with the stock length 16.63" shocks... which were too long as well.

Anything is possible.. people swear by using many 'off' combos.. 2.86" drivers on a 3" track... different ECU's on different sleds, etc etc... but, again IMO, why fight the intended design of the item that was designed as a system.

This is just MY opinion.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hey, we can all disagree cordially here for sure.

I do agree that it is not the 'end of the world'... not many things are.

Here's my opinion.

In an eyes wide open perspective though, I've seen people ride their 36" fronts from aftermarket suppliers for their AXYS mtn sleds and not shortened the shocks.

This puts a lot more ski pressure into the sled and changes the way the rear skid cooperates with the front. The front ride height is raised when you run longer shocks than what it was designed for... you also change the bump steer character when you push the arm angle too far down as the lower mount point is moved inboard.

Will it bolt up, Yes... will it be at al optimal... nope... would I rather have the stock REACT™-length shocks, at the right length, or the aftermarket shocks at the wrong length...
I would rather have the factory shocks in that scenario... and have them valved and setup for my weight and riding style... hands down.

Shimmed or not, you will be hard bottoming out the shock and you will be decreasing your travel on the front end if you run the .61" longer shock.

Harder on the a-arms, harder on the shocks, harder on handling... IMO.

The new shocks have the same amount of travel as before... but are shorter on both extended and compressed.

The ideal setup would be to send you shocks in to have the body shortened if they can.... Or, Sell your good used shocks for a good used price and take that money, add the same amount as you'd spend to mod your old ones... and have a pair of bolt on new shocks on your sled.

All that being said, there are plenty of people out there that run their shocks this way... and are happy with it... Most of which have not run a correct length shock on their sled for direct comparison however.

There are also many people out there that swear by the stock shocks... and just like the other refinements, Polaris/WE have worked on these.

I've seen people run the 17.5 ProRide shocks on their 16.63" Axys before...and they swear by them... to me, when riding that sled, it wore out my shoulders and the sled was quirky compared to the stock shocks. I've observed the same on the 36" fronts with the stock length 16.63" shocks... which were too long as well.

Anything is possible.. people swear by using many 'off' combos.. 2.86" drivers on a 3" track... different ECU's on different sleds, etc etc... but, again IMO, why fight the intended design of the item that was designed as a system.

This is just MY opinion.

Totally understood.

I think suspension in powersports is just as much taste and feel as it is science. To be really accurate with this, I'd probably throw scales under my skis before/after the swap, and adjust accordingly to keep the same exact ski pressure. (as a baseline)

As you implied, there are positives to a higher ride. Some may like this! Alternatively, a shorter stroke isn't going to be massively different when it comes to bottom out. You lose about 1" of travel (7.9" compared to 9"). If you send stuff this isn't something you'll want to do. Alternatively, if you don't, its not going to be a night and day difference having ~10% less travel. Plus, if you have something like the EVOL chamber or Raptor's bottom out valving, its going you are further mitigate it.

If it were me and I had a setup I really liked on my Axys, I'd give it a go and just make the ride height (bumper to ground) is close to the same OEM to aftermarket.

For what its worth, in other sports where suspension matters, I've had an immense amount of success playing with this sort of thing for performance reasons. This is where my philosophy comes from.

YMMV.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Agree to disagree here.

Though for the system to work perfectly you are right, I would personally have no problems running my aftermarket shock on the new sled, either shimmed (to make the eye to eye the same) or not.

Losing sing 3/4" of stroke isn't the end of the world (basically what it'd take to shim it).

Alternatively, keeping things the same and running more sag (to achieve the same ride height) again, not that big of a deal.

Is this ideal? No. But in the end its not going to be the end of the world...

Might not be the end of the world but it's huge. 3/4" changes more things than you think. The 3/4" changes ride height, rider input, weight distribution and the list goes on. Every change alters everything else and steam rolls from there.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Totally understood.

I think suspension in powersports is just as much taste and feel as it is science. To be really accurate with this, I'd probably throw scales under my skis before/after the swap, and adjust accordingly to keep the same exact ski pressure. (as a baseline)

As you implied, there are positives to a higher ride. Some may like this! Alternatively, a shorter stroke isn't going to be massively different when it comes to bottom out. You lose about 1" of travel (7.9" compared to 9"). If you send stuff this isn't something you'll want to do. Alternatively, if you don't, its not going to be a night and day difference having ~10% less travel. Plus, if you have something like the EVOL chamber or Raptor's bottom out valving, its going you are further mitigate it.

If it were me and I had a setup I really liked on my Axys, I'd give it a go and just make the ride height (bumper to ground) is close to the same OEM to aftermarket.

For what its worth, in other sports where suspension matters, I've had an immense amount of success playing with this sort of thing for performance reasons. This is where my philosophy comes from.

YMMV.

Are you really saying suspension doesn't matter in sledding???

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Are you really saying suspension doesn't matter in sledding???

Yes that's what I'm saying. :face-icon-small-con

I am in fact saying some people might find the difference of slightly higher ride height or 10% less travel to be less important than having higher quality travel.

Put another way, if I had a set of properly valved Fox Float Evols, I'd absolutely throw them on and see if I liked them. That shock can easily be run with more sag and still resist bottom out. Maybe having more negative travel at a given ride height is something you like? Maybe not? I was arguing that MH said "no" it won't work when I say "eh, it may not for some people but for others they may be totally fine.

But taste *absolutely* comes into play. The same reason some of the well known pros have lowered their eye to eye in hill climb settings and others have jammed bigger eye to eye in a pro chassis to achieve a higher ride height (out of snow, falls over easier).

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just a quick story for the doubters out there...

A well known Ski-Doo athlete, who I won't name here, took his suspension off his XM and rode it for a fair amount of the 2017 season on his Gen4. It was a similar difference in eye to eye and stroke.

Guess what? He couldn't even tell when he switched to the correct eye to eye and stroke. He often even tells people "run that XM stuff on your gen4!"

This dude is in the elite of the elite.

This is what I'm trying to illustrate. So long as consideration is taken into account as to what it is doing to the rest of the sled, the majority won't notice the change in geometry. They will notice the change in quality of travel.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Might not be the end of the world but it's huge. 3/4" changes more things than you think. The 3/4" changes ride height, rider input, weight distribution and the list goes on. Every change alters everything else and steam rolls from there.

If you read I did the math.

I work directly with engineers at Fox on other projects (say in the mountain bike world - where Fox spends a lot more time than the sled world). There is a lot of guess and check. A lot of personal taste in that world. I get snowmobiling isn't quiet as subjective in taste (on the suspension side) as mountain biking, but taste is still a massive part of the equation. This is often reflected just in the various sag heights the pros run. Some run a ton. Some very little. Is one right and one wrong? I don't think so.

You are pretending like Polaris did thousands of Formula 1 type hours in a lab with the suspension. Hint - they didn't. There is some math behind it, for sure, (hence my whole - throw scales under it suggestion) but its not near the level you are suggesting.

The changes we are discussing do alter the machine, nowhere am I saying it doesn't. But this change may actually be a benefit to a certain rider. Or it may be so subtle you don't notice it.

Don't forget how broad of a range of body types throw a leg over the sled in the first place. If the sled was so picky as to the things like perfect sag and perfect eye to eye, we'd also need wildly different machines for different weights and heights...yet somehow we don't.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
A great discussion...

And just for the record....Both JJ and Spark are true assets to this forum and everyone reading here is better for it IMO.

With that.

More fuel for conversation.

I agree that many will not feel a difference... but with the amount of money, $16,000 or so, for a new 850... I'd want to feel the refinements in all of the sled.

Many people on here would be better served with a ProRide RMK as well... more stable than the AXYS for these people that are not on extreme sidehills etc.

But for the true "Tree bangers" and technical terrain masters.... I think that that the loss of travel can be a detriment.

With JJ's comment though... It made me think... some aftermarket shocks shorter compressed lengths while still retaining the correct extended length. Definitely worth taking off the sled and measuring that true compressed length without the spring or air IMO.

For the extra travel that is surrendered.. Here is a video representation of what I'm talking about. (I've used it before, I know :face-icon-small-dis)

Scales are handy for setup, no doubt about it, but the ski pressure still does not say anything about full travel of the arm.

It's old, I know... but it shows what a master Rasmussen is even on old iron.

Would a new 850 allow me to do this move... Heck no... I'm just a novice in comparison.
The moves these guys are making on Dragons and M8's let me know that the limiting factor for me is not my sled (ouch!)

I HAVE had, however, 'compression events' that have bucked me off my sled when the suspension bottomed.

As a note... the 37" front will already, inherently, have less travel than the 40" front end even though the shock has the same travel. I'd hate to limit that travel even more.

Bret, at 1:54 seconds... "bumps" the tree on an extreme sidehill... you can actually watch the shock/suspension on the uphill side absorb the impact and watch the ski extend again... If the shock had limited travel ... he could have had effectively no travel left to deal with that obstacle and he would have been bucked down the hill.... (Dang, that's a Pretty amazing move!!) :face-icon-small-sho

JJ, if you make it out to Scotts Valley sometime, look me up... maybe we can ride Demo together.

<iframe width="940" height="529" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ExHM0OTTzVs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
A great discussion...

And just for the record....Both JJ and Spark are true assets to this forum and everyone reading here is better for it IMO.

With that.

More fuel for conversation.

I agree that many will not feel a difference... but with the amount of money, $16,000 or so, for a new 850... I'd want to feel the refinements in all of the sled.

Many people on here would be better served with a ProRide RMK as well... more stable than the AXYS... But for the true "Tree bangers" and technical terrain masters.... I think that that the loss of travel can be a detriment.

With JJ's comment though... It made me think... some aftermarket shocks shorter compressed lengths while still retaining the correct extended length.

For the extra travel that is surrendered.. Here is a video representation of what I'm talking about. (I've used it before, I know :face-icon-small-dis)

It's old, I know... but it shows what a master Rasmussen is even on old iron.

Would a new 850 allow me to do this move... Heck no... I'm just a novice in comparison.
The moves these guys are making on Dragons and M8's let me know that the limiting factor for me is not my sled (ouch!)

As a note... the 37" front will already, inherently, have less travel than the 40" front end even though the shock has the same travel. I'd hate to limit that travel even more.

Bret, at 1:54 seconds... "bumps" the tree on an extreme sidehill... you can actually watch the shock/suspension on the uphill side absorb the impact and watch the ski extend again... If the shock had limited travel ... he could have had effectively no travel left to deal with that obstacle and he would have been bucked down the hill.... (Dang, that's a Pretty amazing move!!) :face-icon-small-sho

<iframe width="940" height="529" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ExHM0OTTzVs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thx for the post MH. I don't disagree that the narrower we go the harder it is to maintain travel as we lose leverage (ski closer to the pivot point).

If anything this reduction of leverage ratio will also result in a stiffer overall damping (if you were to take your shocks off your axys). This alone could make for a bad ride (or again, good, depending who you are!~)

Going to go off on a tangent here for a second, hang with me.

In the mountain bike world everything works in trends. Coil is cool. Then air. Now back to coil. Low bars were all the rage. Then tall bars. Wide bars, then narrow. Small wheels. Then Big. Etc etc.

A french racer was known to whoop *** on a bike with 2/3s the travel as the other pros of the time. Then long travel trophy truck suspension was the rage.

What really drove these trends were the riders piloting the bikes. (whoever was winning MUST have the right setup eh?)

Truth is, the suspension package had to fit the rider (and often talent mattered more than technology). The tracks didn't change (relatively speaking) yet there were so many configurations out there, even within the same frameset, it was crazy!

My point is, I'd wager Polaris set this up to be as vanilla as possible. To work for the most riders out there with minimal monkeying. That said, I could see 10% less travel with a stiffer spring rate maybe being better for me than softer and all the travel. Maybe not. But again, there is probably more wiggle room than we pretend. Taste. Riding style. Conditions.

In your example above, maybe he would have gotten bucked. Maybe not. Like I implied above, less travel with a firmer rate could skip over that just like more travel and a softer rate.

Don't forget the big variable in suspension is the medium it is suspending the rider against. Snow. Snow is often a damper all in its own regard. Sometime we have a lot of it, sometimes none. But this alone shows how dynamic of an environment our machines operate in!

N
Mar 7, 2018
Another quick story - I am just a nobody in the sled world. Not elite of the elite, but I experienced this with a 2011 pro I had. I ordered zbroz for that sled and wasn't told I needed different length shocks. Put the a-arms on aka as a lift kit for the front end and created a trench monster with heavy steering. But, who knows? Maybe some people think that is a wheelie?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Another quick story - I am just a nobody in the sled world. Not elite of the elite, but I experienced this with a 2011 pro I had. I ordered zbroz for that sled and wasn't told I needed different length shocks. Put the a-arms on aka as a lift kit for the front end and created a trench monster with heavy steering. But, who knows? Maybe some people think that is a wheelie?

I actually have a super similar story - Zbroz front end, standard eye to eye shocks! (except on an Axys) In my case I just ended up matching the ride height of an OEM by running more sag. In the end, I swapped the springs to a slightly heavier rate which let me run a whole bunch of sag but retain a stiffer overall rate. It worked. If I didn't make the change, yeah, heavy steering and more likely to trench. (this is why I wrote above for you to note the OEM bumper to ground number - its something you'll want to keep in mind)

In your case, there were a few small things you could have done to mitigate it. Its one reason of about a hundred I tell everyone to order scales off amazon to log their ski weight (specifically) when they get a setup they like...

No matter what, you can always go back to it! Static weight distribution is paramount to how a sled will ride.

T
Sep 10, 2009

Same exact experience here. Made for a terrible handling sled.

Premium Features