• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skins Helium Side Panels and Air Frames, any one install them yet?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Looking at either doing it myself or having my dealer do it. I have added Burandt boards to a Pro in the past and Better Boards to a few sleds in the past also. Is it something a middle of the road mechanic can do himself or should I let my dealership do it? I should say Rassmussen Boards not Airframes. My mistake. New to Doo this year so please give me a pass on this one. :)

Last edited:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Looking at either doing it myself or having my dealer do it. I have added Burandt boards to a Pro in the past and Better Boards to a few sleds in the past also. Is it something a middle of the road mechanic can do himself or should I let my dealership do it? I should say Rassmussen Boards not Airframes. My mistake. New to Doo this year so please give me a pass on this one. :)

If you find somewhere to purchase Rasmussen boards let me no I have been trying to find some for a while now they are on back order

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt

If you have a die grinder or cut off wheel tool and take your time it's pretty easy. It's nice to have pneumatic rivet tool as well, as there are a lot to do. Paul from Sled Solutions has a really informative YouTube video that help me a ton. Video is just regular airframe install but all same except for Toe area.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Well I got a set. Now to figure out if I want to do it myself or not. Might just have my dealer do it. They have done it before so it can't be that big of deal for them. I have all the tools too as you do Summit74 but the toe area scares me a little since it has to be narrowed. I will wait for side panels to show up before I make a decision though.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It's not hard at all. It's just time consuming. More so the first time because it is nerve racking cutting a brand new sled up. It took me 5 hours my first go around but I would think someone who has done them should charge you no more than 4.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Well I got a set. Now to figure out if I want to do it myself or not. Might just have my dealer do it. They have done it before so it can't be that big of deal for them. I have all the tools too as you do Summit74 but the toe area scares me a little since it has to be narrowed. I will wait for side panels to show up before I make a decision though.

Well if you change your mind I'll take them off your hands

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
It's not hard at all. It's just time consuming. More so the first time because it is nerve racking cutting a brand new sled up. It took me 5 hours my first go around but I would think someone who has done them should charge you no more than 4.

X2.

I had about 6hrs into my first set but the sled also had Skins airframe running boards to add to the fun.

J
Oct 21, 2015
Minnesota
Oh, I am going to do it. Think I am going to just have my dealer install them though.

Pics yet?
face-icon-small-happy.gif

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Nope. Leaving for Yellowstone Wednesday. Actually get the boards today when UPS stops here around lunch time. Going to have them installed next Monday the 8th. Will post pics when I pick her up.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
can you report back on how the changes feel, any reason why you didn't do the hood as well?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I really only did the changes for the feel of "thickness". Not for weight. I like having a headlight, a windshield, and a glove box....and I don't really like the way the gauge mounts to the Helium hood.

I won't be able to ride until the 20th but I'll report back how it feels at that time. I am sure psychologically it will even if it doesn't.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Got my panels yesterday.

I have to modify my boards to make the panels fit. It's no joke, they really narrow the sled up. The factory hoop in the footwell has to be cut off for them to fit.

Can't wait to ride it narrower.

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
cant wait to here how you feel about em while riding, depending on what doo announces on the 22nd i might be getting running boards and side panels over the summer

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Got my panels yesterday.

I have to modify my boards to make the panels fit. It's no joke, they really narrow the sled up. The factory hoop in the footwell has to be cut off for them to fit.

Can't wait to ride it narrower.
Did you do the side panels with the factory boards?

T
Aug 8, 2011
I already had a set of tube boards I built on the sled...

I half expected the panel to work with some trimming or something, not the case. The factory hoop needs to be moved.

So, I am in the process of narrowing the boards an inch and building a new hoop.

I do wonder what affect the width of the board vs panel has to do with how the sled behaves. Should the board be the same width as the bottom of the panel? An inch narrower? 2 inches? Any ideas?

Premium Features