• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bar Riser Heater? DIY Bag Warmer

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Trying to keep my valuables warm, like camera, phone, batteries etc... Futzing around with the underpowered OEM sack heaters, decided to figure out a way to actually keep things warm. Here is what I did, you can make your own very easily with an OEM connector too

I used a quality bar heater element from Symtec. Got if from Amazon.com clicky. These have a high setting of 20 watts and a a low of about 8 watts. Tested with the low setting and it was "OK" but prefer the high 20 watt. Didn't melt anything but stayed very warm and the heat was dispersed across the plate. Now the plate I used was run of the mill 5052 aluminum and 1/8" thick, which is double what some of the OEM 3 watt heaters use. A very nice heat sink indeed. Used a fiber disc on the edges of the plate for a nice finish, don't like chafing on the sack....

You can upgrade the OEM Ski-doo by soldering on a Radio Shack phono connector (that's what they call it). clicky For the Dragons and Cat (not sure where to get a connector for the Pro), you can use these clicky

You can burn a hole in your sack and feed the wire through, or just let it hang out of your zipper, like I prefer...

I wrapped my HD video camera in a beanie (stocking hat) and it stays warm all day.

sack warmer.jpg sack warmer 2.jpg sack warmer 3.jpg sack warmer 4.jpg sack warmer 8.jpg sack warmer 9.jpg sack warmer 5.jpg

Premium Features