• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 600 XLT Piston Burndown

S
Jan 15, 2008
Hi All,

I have a 98 600 XLT and it USED to rock!!! About 5 years ago, right after I bought it, the #3(?) Piston burned down. As you sit on the sled, it is the furthest left cylinder. I replaced it with a new piston and rings at that time. I just got to tear into the sled after 2 years. It appears the same thing has happened. I will attempt to post pics within the next few days but was wondering what ideas some of you might have. The piston head is uniform black, and the outer edges are pock marked as if something got in there and bounced around. The spark plug is still intact and there is no scoring of the cylinder walls. The flat area on the base of the dome head is similarly pock marked, but the dome portion is untouched. This is exactly how it looked last time. I have some thoughts, but wanted to see everyone's input was before I convoluted your opinions! Thanks in advance!!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Id replace the crank seal and carb boot. Sounds like it is probably detonating but without pictures its really just speculation.

Either way I'll make you a screamin deal on a full set of pistons, heads and topend gasket set

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Did you run it much after the rebuild 5 years ago?

Is it stock or does it have aftermarket pipes on it? Stock airbox or modded airbox/socks?

sled_guy

Premium Features