• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 RMK 600 - subtle upgrades

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
you need to get that MTB out to Elk River or Elm Creek this winter!!

Nice looking sled - you still need to swing by for beers someday.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
So how long do you usually keep a sled?:face-icon-small-sho

Great work!!!!! And call me when you are ready to sell.

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
I can't take it anymore!!!!

When are you going to ride it. If it runs half as good as it looks... Come on... RIDE IT!!! Tell me how it runs... you are killing me:)

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
you need to get that MTB out to Elk River or Elm Creek this winter!!

Nice looking sled - you still need to swing by for beers someday.

Haven't forgot about the beers :D Do you have a snow machine in Elk River? If so, I will be over sooner than later.

So how long do you usually keep a sled?:face-icon-small-sho

Great work!!!!! And call me when you are ready to sell.

How long do I keep a sled? Usually one year has been my track record, sometimes less. The longest I've owned a sled is maybe 2.5 years. To explain my behavior, I get impulsive and dumb ideas in my head with no one to tell me "no."

Thanks, you are the second person on my list for this sled.

When are you going to ride it. If it runs half as good as it looks... Come on... RIDE IT!!! Tell me how it runs... you are killing me:)

Leaving tomorrow after work and heading out West to marginal snow. I will be riding with two TD8's and a '11 Pro RMK 800. Should be interesting to see how compares. I'm not expecting it to be the fastest but I'm hoping it will be a great combination for my type of riding.

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Great work. Did you like the result of the vents with the pulled fabric or the simple laid fabric more?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Great work. Did you like the result of the vents with the pulled fabric or the simple laid fabric more?

I think I got the same results between the two methods. The problem with the pulled fabric is that you can't use this method for bent/curved vents. Since this was my first time making vents, figured I would try both ways. I would say that the stretched fabric fixture I made was easier to work though.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Trip to Togwotee - break-in for the new sled.

First day, 0 miles on the sled. We rode for maybe 3-4 miles just to see if each sled was pulling the correct rpm's. It was 4:30pm by the time we got settled in and unloaded, hence the short trip. Anyways, the sled seemed pretty sluggish, no real zip at all. The engine seemed real tight.

First full day, put about 55 miles on the sled. Hit some decent pockets of snow, small hills to climb. Chassis was easy to get used to. I was pretty cautious due to stumps and rocks but was still able to play quite a bit. Engine was loosening up and the rpm's were reving faster all across the board. One of the RMK 800's went higher on the hill than me but that could be attributed to many different things.

Second full day, played in a lot of good areas of snow. Climbing hills with the front bumper pushing snow. My sled went every where the 800's went. On the trail, the 800 RMK is 1-1.5 sled lengths quicker from a rolling start. I had just as much fun as the guys on the 800's if not more. My sled used more fuel than the 800's by a gallon or two. I couldn't stop playing while everyone else was taking breaks. Ended up with 107 miles on the sled and not one hiccup. The only gauges I watched were the RPM's and temp gauge, both were in check. I don't miss watching oil pressure, fuel pressure, AFR, or boost gauges.

Overall, I'm VERY pleased with the results of my sled. I think the 800's may have a little more grunt on the bottom end compared to my 660, but I had a lot of fun building an under-dog and have about the same investment going this route. I'm hoping to get the SLP exhaust in a month or two if I hear good results from Carls. I am going to build an additional clutch vent to help cool the clutches a little more. The Mods Skis seemed to work great on and off trail with this new chassis. I can't believe how well these new sleds climb and side hill, just a blast to ride! I seemed to have a lot of ski pressure with the factory suspension settings. Hopefully we can get some snow here in MN so I can play around with different suspension adjustments.

SideHill2.jpg

SideHill1.jpg

SideHill.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'd guess he'd be about 145 to 150 with the single pipe combo on it.

135 the way he is now. :)

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa

so with that and a turbo, it'd be pushing..... ?

so what if he's pushin around 180 hp with a basic turbo with the 660 bore kit, the weight of the crank shaft, does that have anything to do with the torque?

more rotating force? whatever you want to call it?

i had always wondered, why they dont build automobile motors like they do sled motors?

i like the all the little detail mods you're doing too. good work.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN

That's probably pretty close to what its running now. Hoping for the SLP to get a pipe/can combo sent out to Carls so they can dial in the fuel mapping for these buggies.

so with that and a turbo, it'd be pushing..... ?

so what if he's pushin around 180 hp with a basic turbo with the 660 bore kit, the weight of the crank shaft, does that have anything to do with the torque?

more rotating force? whatever you want to call it?

i had always wondered, why they dont build automobile motors like they do sled motors?

i like the all the little detail mods you're doing too. good work.

Thanks,

I've read different reviews on boosting the 660 engines. From what I gathered, it's better to boost a stock ported 600 cylinder than the 660 cylinders. I had boost before (TM6 and TD8), too much tinkering and tuning for me.

There should be a couple of stock Pro RMk 600 turbos on this forum within the next month or so. It should be interesting to hear the reports on how they work.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
good review Jonce
glad to hear the 660 was a good investment
once warranty is up (or maybe even next yr) id like to do this kit as well
just need to find someone who can pull my top end etc to send out

i can wrench a bit, but not good enough to pull and install a top end on my own

still have .01 kms on my sled and 2 cm, YES cm of snow on the ground
trip to Fernie is a no go at xmas now, so i m stuck w a $10k sled, no snow and no miles to report

very jealous of you right now!!! LOL!

Premium Features