• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken crank?

S
Dec 8, 2009
Osceola, WI
Was out for a ride today and while cruising down the gandy dancer in WI. She just quitely died and I pulled off to the side of the trail. Thought I lost a piston as it was locked up pretty good. Thankfully I was with a big group and it happened about 15 miles into the ride. Got a ride back to my truck while the rest towed my sled to the next road intersection. I met up with them and headed home to inspect the damage.

What I found after pulling jugs off was a crank that had split in two on the clutch side piston pin area. Ouch!

Is this a common problem on the 98' 600efi twins?

Now I at the point were it may be the best to part it out. And look for a new sled in the summer.

R
Nov 28, 2009
i had the same problem with mine and i found a new crank on ksl but you could find one on ebay but any way it jacket my case up so i had mine port and polished and it works great but why i did all of that i rebuilt my hole engine but you can get away with a just a new crank and you can use your same clutch like i did other wise if you dont want to do all of that i would by a new motor off ebay or ksl if you have 600 dollars you can get one of ksl hoped i helped you a little or and if you have a lot of mods on your its common for that to happen if you havent trued and welded your crank

Premium Features