• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Edge Tunnel Polish

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
Well after much consideration I have decided to polish my tunnel, here are some before pics of it. It is very simple to do and takes about 4 hours for what i did(sides of tunnel, radius rods, tie rods, bumper and gas can rack) It is all in the prep work!!!!. I used steel wool with a soap/water mix and scubed the tunnel till it was clear of anything that might look bad with polish. Be sure to wash your tunnel after scrubing to remove all soap so that the polish will stick and wont have any lines! Next you need to get your polish I used the Mothers brand, which can be found at walmart. Make SURE your tunnel is dry it will mess up the finish if it isnt. Now that the tunnel is clean apply the polish in a circular motion, a black residue will appear both on the rag you are using and on the tunnel(or other parts), after a few mintues of buffing the polish, take a clean rag and buff is out, this will takes some time, buff in a circular motion on all area if possiable (5-7min) depending on the surface. After all polish has been buffed off allow polished area to sit for about 30min, then come back with another clean rag and buff some more to remove any left behind polish. Once done it will have a unsmooth finish but will be shiny next you will want to get a quality wax and wax all places where you polished, then buff off again this will take about 5-7min per section to totally buff out . There is a noticable texture differance between unwaxed and waxed surfaces. And now you have a tunnel that looks as good as gold. This entire project cost me $17.01 from walmart(polish, two micro fiber pads and wax) and took about 4 hours to complete.
Materials you will need:
-Steel Wool
-Bucket with soap/water mix
-Mothers Polish
-4 to 5 pure cotton rags
-2 micro fiber pads for applying polish
-Quality wax, (teflon based works good)
-Gloves
-Drill fitted buffing wheel will make the process eaiser but make sure to use a low rpm one so not to burn through the finish.

Hope this Helps to anyone thinking of polishing their tunnel in the future.

700 RMK 007.jpg 700 RMK 003.jpg 700 RMK 006.jpg

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
tunnel looks great.

I did mine with Mothers Aluminum Polish and thier polising cone. Came out nice but yours looks better.

Nice job.

Premium Features