• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex turbo 162" DARTING need help

H
Nov 30, 2008
I was out yesterday playing in the powder and every time I was getting off the throttle the sled would dart one way or the other at the same time it would dive into the snow.I will tell you this is not good feeling. There was a couple times I almost rolled it. Has anyone had this problem? What is the fix? This my first year on a Yam and a Turbo having second thoughts.Love the power but this darting scares the sh#t out of me.:confused::(

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Tighten up your preload on your front shocks, and maybe you need to check your toe in on your skiis. There is a thread on totally yamaha that discusses a cheap solution for the darting.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=53393
t_picture_006_191.jpg

t_copy_of_picture_001_204.jpg

You may need to join or sign it to see the pics.... but almost anyone with grinder and a drill can make a set of those.

Jim

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
In order to get the T Apex to not wheelie so bad you really need to suck the limiter strap all the way up and tighten the rear spring to the hardest setting. This puts a lot of down pressure on the skis when you let off the throttle.

The Simmons Gen 2 Skis are a good answer for this problem. Mine never dive and I have my limiter strap tightened so tight I had to drill new holes.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I would do the above fixes they help alot, I have never been a fan of yamaha stock skis especially on the apex. The Simmons skis are a great choice to help with the darting.

T
Sep 7, 2008
Apex

I would buy a set of simmons 2 skies for sure ! that is what we use on our turbos. make sure you check your a-frame bushings and they are tight.

B

boosted metal

Apr 4, 2008
kelowna,b.c
Yes the sims 2's stop darting but are also hard to carve in 4-5'' of fresh powder.I find the deeper the snow and the work well carving They take a bit to get use to at first. I run 2's in the winter and 1's in the spring.

B

boosted metal

Apr 4, 2008
kelowna,b.c
I'm not sure what you mean by carving the ski. Had a few drinks this new years eve already so prob need more info or pics, HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!!

W
Jan 4, 2009
I just went through this the other day here. Have an '03 RX1 turbo, with the Gen2's, and went into some deep powder on a bit of a sidehill, and noticed it was a bugger to sidewill and turn. I was thinking about the width causing me to struggle in this situation.
By cutting down the rear outside edges, like the pic, any update info on how much better it helps? I see by leaving the fronts wide, it will still help you float on top still without sinking.
If Anyone has more info, let us know, I wil get the chainsaw out and try it !!

B

boosted metal

Apr 4, 2008
kelowna,b.c
rode boulder today and fought trying to sidehill with my gen2's, l may try the 1's again, definatley would like to know about the 2's being cut and all around performance

L

liv2mx

Oct 5, 2009
michigan and in the west
get a set of usi skis, the new x2 takes all the darting out. turn and side hill great. 350 shipped to your house..they are on e bay.
just did this on my buddys nytro..whole new sled.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
let your limiter straps out and maybe bolt your suspension higher up in the tunnel. ive just figured that out on my nytro. i had to much ski pressure. i have 3 nytros 1 rxpex and they all dart but i loosened the limiter straps to get the ski pressure down. now it works great.

Premium Features