• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Turbo on Apex...any good?

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
The last Yamaha I owned was a Viper Mt. Loved the quality of the Yamaha but when they went to all 4 stroke, well I strayed to something lighter. Now I'm thinking about once again looking at Yamaha and 4 strokes. Currently on a TM-1000 running around 8 pounds of boost, no complaints on power or handling, but am thinking I may want to try out a 4 stroke turbo. What's your thoughts regarding a boondocker turbo on an Apex? Or the Apex with a turbo for that matter. I see an awful lot for sale.

Thank you in advance, and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
I have an 07 apex with a Boondocker 25 on it. With a shim I can run 12#s of boost on pump gas and find that plenty of power. Very little lag time. My two complaints are not really related to the turbo itself, rather to how it was installed. The exhaust is about a 6 inch tube right out the side. In the parking lot and on the trail....it's LOUD!!!!...out in the soft stuff or climbing...I love the sound. The other is the fuel management device....it's the Pure Logic box..when it works, it works great. It gets wet easily though and then the sled runs like crap. I can't comment on a Nytro as I've never rode one.

J
Nov 27, 2007
I love my turbo apexs, I have two and will probably stay with the apex as I dont care for the nytro. As for the boondocker kits they are good kits, you probably see so many because they were mass produceing them at the start of the frenzy and were less money than most of the other kits.
julio

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
I have ran a BD kit. The kit basically worked good, but BD had a few issues that needed resolved and to my knowledge they never put the R&D into getting them fixed. They left a lot of guys hanging and acted like it was no big deal. The main one was oil blow bye from the crank case breather. I know several guys who have been dealing with this from day one. Every time they would call BD they would side step the issue. Last I heard BD had gotten clear out of the 4 stroke market. They still sell kits, but I don't think they even own a 4 stroke sled to do R&D. I think they use customers sleds for their R&D and pay them zippo. I know a couple of guys who got taken to the cleaners pretty good by BD using them for R&D.

E
Jan 9, 2010
NW Montana
I have recently purchased a BD turbo kit for my RX1 and ended up having to do alot of the R&D for the installation and the problems that I am having. The kit does fit well and when I get the issues solved will run like a champ but it seems that BD doesn't have the time for a paying customer to get the final issues solved as it's been like pulling teeth to get them to call me back. If I were to do this over again I would definately shop around.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I have the 2871 Garrett on my BD Turbo apex and the turbo and set up work great.

My only frustration has been a fuel control system. I love the BD system when it is working right because of all the extra information it gives you.

My problem is that I will get on the mountain and it won't run right so I will mess with the box for a while and when I finally get it running spot on I will be using the same numbers that did not run spot on 30 minutes ago.

Once it is running right it usually keeps running right for the rest of the day.

It is an amazing sled.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I put over 3000 miles on mine without an issue. After the first year and tuning, I pulled the O2 sensor and air fuel gauge and never touched the box again.
There is not a kit on the market worth the extra money if you ask me.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I to had zero problems with my BD kit,no parts failed or header braking like with some other kits. I ran a PL box rather than the BD box and the sled always ran spot on.Also you have to put vents on the side where the turbo is for the hot air to get out and you will have no heat issues. Great kit good price.

Y

yamboosta

Dec 5, 2007
Sedro-Woolley
mine is great

pl fuel box. Boondocker turbo on apex. Have not adjusted box in 2 years.
12lbs boost is plenty for me . Has been a turn key runner.

E
Jan 9, 2010
NW Montana
I do think the boondocker kit is the right price, and works good but the problem that I have is when I ordered my kit they said it was still available for a 03 rx1, so when I recieved the kit the instuctions were for a 2006 apex which we all know has fuel injection and the rx has carbs. The major parts { head pipe,turbo,IC} were basic knowledege, but the fuel,pressure,boost lines I had to figure out my self and Im getting close to getting it to run right after the alot time and R&D. When anybody spends that kind of money you should at least get a step by step instruction manuel and not a dvd for a 06 apex for the install when the company still produces the kit.Take the good with the bad Im learning alot about turbos.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I do think the boondocker kit is the right price, and works good but the problem that I have is when I ordered my kit they said it was still available for a 03 rx1, so when I recieved the kit the instuctions were for a 2006 apex which we all know has fuel injection and the rx has carbs. The major parts { head pipe,turbo,IC} were basic knowledege, but the fuel,pressure,boost lines I had to figure out my self and Im getting close to getting it to run right after the alot time and R&D. When anybody spends that kind of money you should at least get a step by step instruction manuel and not a dvd for a 06 apex for the install when the company still produces the kit.Take the good with the bad Im learning alot about turbos.

That would down right piss me right off!!!!:mad: I feel for you, I did the complete install on my TNytro without half the parts and no instructions!!

Premium Features