• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Regulators and Turbo's

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
I recently had some fuel issues with my Powerlites turbo. My gauge on my fuel regulator was all over the place and I was always wrenching with it. So I did some research and found that it could be shot and its an inexpensive unit. So I went off to the performance parts store with this old one. I ended up leaving with a universal Aeromotive fuel regulator, with the boost nipple. and 4 open upper ports and a dump in the bottom. As I really never new much about these, I relied on the parts person who was quite knowledgeable with these products. I got a fuel pressure gauge, 3 nipples - one for each site and one for the fuel return line and a plug for the back.

index.php

So from the MSD fuel pump I ran it to the one side of the regulator and the other side to the fuel rail, then the plug is in the back and the gauge is in the front. The bottom runs back into the tank. I changed the spring as noted in the instructions for higher pressure. So I ran this, set the pressure at 46, and it ran a bit rich to start, so I turned it up to 49 PSI, my air fuel was between 11.2 and 13.1 and when applying the fuel and a good rate my a/f is at 12.2 to 12.5, which im told is good. The only issue I ran into is when I went back to idle it needed some more fuel, so I turned it up to 50 psi, then its was great all day, went through a tank of fuel and the sled never ran this good, with good numbers and the bog and grunt I had before is gone. It started easy and worked good. Then the next day im looking at my old regulator bracket and it says 2:1, the new one is 1:1, so I phone Dave for some advise and he says if its working good id leave it. If I put a 2:1 on now it would have higher numbers and thats not what I want. This was tested on rolling hills and not in the mountains, and im hoping It works good there. Will it? Or should I be looking for a 2:1, Ive now seen some switch to this and it works great. Any one else change theres?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
More fuel pressure will add fuel and make it run richer. What is your setup on the fuel rail? It must still be blocked at one end if your returning fuel from the regulator. If I understand the Rapidbike can take fuel out from what the stock map is set at and that is why you can run that much fuel pressure with bigger injectors. We run 28 lbs fuel pressure at idle with 450cc injectors but our fuel regulators are adjustable up to 5:1 I believe so we can get as much fuel as we need under bigger boost.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
running rich?

My Powderlite nytro, seems to run rich (can't get it over 28mph) not sure if it's a controller problem or a pressure regulator. What were your symptoms?

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Anybody running rapid bike in grand jct,co?

Anybody running rapid bike on a yamaha nytro in OR NEAR grand jct,co? Could use some tuning help.

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
Hey what was the part number of the new fuel regulator you put on?? I am seeing the same issue. If you are running it with the desired boost and the A/F ratio is good then it is doing it's job

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
My Powderlite nytro, seems to run rich (can't get it over 28mph) not sure if it's a controller problem or a pressure regulator. What were your symptoms?

Which map are you running and is it a stage 2 or 3? With the stock PL regulator I was running 48PSI at Idle. I run 50 now and had to turn up the fuel at idle and so far it runs great. I'll let you know after next weekend.

Hey what was the part number of the new fuel regulator you put on?? I am seeing the same issue. If you are running it with the desired boost and the A/F ratio is good then it is doing it's job

I will run it in the mountains next weekend and let you know as I indicated on the above answer, the only issue I seen was it ran high A/F at idle so thats just a programming issue.

Premium Features