• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for North Montana Riders

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I will be working near Cut Bank (about 2 hours north of Great Falls) Montana starting Sept 15th and the job should wrap up in 4-6 weeks...

My question is where should i travel to ride? I plan to drag up a couple sleds and get a few early season rides in....

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
if you were around a little longer(dec) skyland/summit is a lot of fun and some big hills and it is like an hr away from there but you cant ride until dec 1 :(.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
wont be many places to ride that early...most people are still hunting....but there woudl be a few places down south, but hardly any up in northern Montana...but if last years Global Warming was any indication, you could easily be sledding then...

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
There is a few grass drags coming up here in a month or so. But thats during bow season and I saw too many nice bulls last weekend to get excited about sledding. There are no regulations for riding in the Little Belts (about an hour south of Great Falls), other than not leaving a designated trail until there is atleast 18 inches of snow. I pulled my buddy's bull out last year in end of November with my sled and there was atleast 40 inches then. So we occasionally get snow early, but the Neihart area isn't anything great. All the good places are closed until Dec. 7th usually.

What kind of job is it?

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
There are no regulations for riding in the Little Belts (about an hour south of Great Falls), other than not leaving a designated trail until there is atleast 18 inches of snow. I pulled my buddy's bull out last year in end of November with my sled and there was atleast 40 inches then. So we occasionally get snow early, but the Neihart area isn't anything great. All the good places are closed until Dec. 7th usually.

What kind of job is it?

Are you sure about those regulations? Last time we rode up there mid-November we found lots of locked gates, and finally a sign that said closed untill Dec. 1? Plus, all these guys w/ orange vests were waving guns at us; not sure what their problem was.:face-icon-small-win:D

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Haha that guy with the orange vest could have been me. And yes I'm sure the designated roads and trails are open. The large locked gates are put up for road closures We do a lot of hunting off sleds around there. Ususally the snow gets too deep about mid November to take trucks or 4-wheelers in there. You really have to be carefull about stumps and rocks that time of year tho. The only thing is they might have changed it with that new travel plan the forest service did for 2008....

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
cant remember where you are from but you will be within long weekend ride for some places in BC though...so maybe consider one of those locales? Fernie and revelstoke, golden...they are hauls, but nice hauls...and great place to play with teh new Nytro!!!

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Haha that guy with the orange vest could have been me. And yes I'm sure the designated roads and trails are open. The large locked gates are put up for road closures We do a lot of hunting off sleds around there. Ususally the snow gets too deep about mid November to take trucks or 4-wheelers in there. You really have to be carefull about stumps and rocks that time of year tho. The only thing is they might have changed it with that new travel plan the forest service did for 2008....

Yes, you'd better check the new regs with the new travel plan in place. Also the Little Belts are off limits to snowmobiles until Dec. 1st or untill the roads become impassable to 4x4s and this is decided by the forrest service guys. If they do open the trails to sleds early you must stay on designated roads and trails (no overland travel) until Dec 1.

Premium Features