• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flushing Cooling System

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not familiar with the newer machines but on my 2010 M8 I disconnected the hose going to my coolant bottle, turned on the shop vac and put the pickup hose into the disconnected coolant hose and it removed 1gallon of coolant real fast.

When refilling, I raised the front of sled higher than rear and slowly poured almost exactly 1 gallon back in. I have a tilting sled trailer, so I just tilted the trailer to get the front end higher.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Pull the lower coolant hose, let it dump out everywhere in the belly pan because cat decided to take away the drain hose on the water pump cover.

Have 5 pails all under the sled to catch all the drips and leaks.

If you have heat and running water in your shop fill up the coolant system with some non foaming dish soap and tap water.

Start the sled till operating temperature and the thermostat opens to cycle through the cooler.

Raise front of sled up 2’, let water cycle back, check water level, then raise rear of sled 2’, again check water level, and put sled back onto the ground.

Again pull the lower rad hose and repeat the catching of fluid from every crack hose and leak.

Install lower coolant hose and fill up with new coolant, and repeat the burping procedure by lifting the front and then the back.

There should be no real reason you would need to “flush” the coolant system. If you had a head gasket oring fail that might be the only reason. That will be the only way you would get any kind of oil contamination into the system.

If you are just wanting to change the coolant. Just Drain and fill don’t worry about flushing. Unless you’re changing from one of the types of coolant to another, ethylene glycol shouldn’t be mixed with propylene glycol.

Premium Features