• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16axys turbo or 18 mountain cat

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
So I have a real dilemma. I sold my 14 pro rmk and I am looking at 2 sleds. One is a very clean 2016 axys 163 with a mtntk turbo for 8000 with 1600 miles and the other a bone stock 2018 mountain cat 162 for 8500 that has 1100 miles. Would love a turbo sled but I have not rode either chassis and worry about the axys engine a little. The turbo on the axys is a 91 octane pump gas setup. Just looking for some opinions

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Imo the cat has a better track, shock package, motor reliability, and more durability for the chassis. Axys side hill is 5% better in tech terrain and is a bit lighter

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Between those 2, the Cat would definitely be the wise choice. The wisest choice would be to save a few more $$ and get a 2018 Pro 163.

Why a 2018 pro, they did not change much between 16 and 18. This 16 is setup pretty sweet and the mtntk is a very nice turbo setup. I appreciate the feedback

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Why a 2018 pro, they did not change much between 16 and 18. This 16 is setup pretty sweet and the mtntk is a very nice turbo setup. I appreciate the feedback

Many random thoughts here.
The 16 is a first year sled without the fine tuning newer ones have.

All used sleds have things that wear out.
Personally I would never buy a used turbo sled.

Locally (here) a 17 holdover goes for around 8500 brand new.

Basically buy new and you know exactly what you’re getting.
Used gives you unknowns that you end up dealing with on the hill.

Ruining a day isn’t worth that crap.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Many random thoughts here.
The 16 is a first year sled without the fine tuning newer ones have.

All used sleds have things that wear out.
Personally I would never buy a used turbo sled.

Locally (here) a 17 holdover goes for around 8500 brand new.

Basically buy new and you know exactly what you’re getting.
Used gives you unknowns that you end up dealing with on the hill.

Ruining a day isn’t worth that crap.

Man it's a total crapshoot buying even new. Some of these sleds go 4000 miles and some go 1000. One thing I like about the mtntk turbo is there own high flow injectors and a big tunnel cooler. They run cooler with this kit than a stock one.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Man it's a total crapshoot buying even new. Some of these sleds go 4000 miles and some go 1000. One thing I like about the mtntk turbo is there own high flow injectors and a big tunnel cooler. They run cooler with this kit than a stock one.

Devils advocate here.

Using your logic and buying a sled with 1600 miles seems risky. ?

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Honestly and this is a comparison between two different sleds, but cat vs poo.

I prefer my sks 146 chassis wise to my fathers 18 High country, mine gets on the snow better, easier to ride, more comfortable, and seems to be more well thought out.

However, driveline wise my dads cat is better in almost every way. He rode his all year without a hiccup, mine was in the shop every week for a problem that apparently was a big fix, got a new top end, new injectors, so on so fourth. A year later might finally work correctly. Ive come up with a new slogan for cfi: carbureted fuel injection, all the complexity, none of the benefits. It generally just worked like ****. On top of this, my father who is 80 pounds heavier gaps the **** out of me when racing.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
guys buy turbos so they can ride harder and faster, which means they break sooner and more often...:face-icon-small-win

I called chris from parkland motorsports in Canada who has installed 60 of these kits and said they run flawless. No fueling issues and they run crisp and clean. He said they have been running them upwards of 4000 miles with zero piston issues. I am going to take the plunge and pick it up. Really all your doing with the pump gas kit at 8000ft is returning it to sea level power levels. Wish me luck.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
guys buy turbos so they can ride harder and faster, which means they break sooner and more often...:face-icon-small-win

True.... but I also know plenty of guys who buy turbos who can't even push a stock sled. So know with the Turbo they ride it even more conservatively. Want to know for sure? Hook it up to Digital Wrench and look at the lifelong TPS history...

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I called chris from parkland motorsports in Canada who has installed 60 of these kits and said they run flawless. No fueling issues and they run crisp and clean. He said they have been running them upwards of 4000 miles with zero piston issues. I am going to take the plunge and pick it up. Really all your doing with the pump gas kit at 8000ft is returning it to sea level power levels. Wish me luck.

Good for you. At 1600 miles, rebuild the clutch.. I recommend sending it to Indy Specialties-- they will replace all the worn bushings, rollers, cut the sheaves and balance individual components. A rebuilt Indy Specialties clutch is better than a new one. Also, replace all four rubber isolators on the motor mounts and the rubber isolator on the torque arm.

Enjoy your new sled!!

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Good for you. At 1600 miles, rebuild the clutch.. I recommend sending it to Indy Specialties-- they will replace all the worn bushings, rollers, cut the sheaves and balance individual components. A rebuilt Indy Specialties clutch is better than a new one. Also, replace all four rubber isolators on the motor mounts and the rubber isolator on the torque arm.

Enjoy your new sled!!

Thanks. That’s exactly what I want to do with the clutches

Premium Features