• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Highmark Spire 3.0 vs. Mammut Alyeska vest?

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I am looking at getting a new AVI vest this year, and I think I have it narrowed down to 2 vests. I am looking for a lightweight vest. That is why I have decided on the new snowpulse spire 3.0 vest and the mammut vest. Not that concerned about storage, as I will probably be buying an additional bag for my sled this year. The mammut vest looks more built for skiers, but I love the slim profile of the vest. Looks like it's had great reviews on the skiing/boarding world. Wondering if anyone has owned or tried either yet, since I know the snowpulse one was just released this year. Any input would be great.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I don't generally like external shovel carry systems - I've seen lots of people lose a shovel blade with them. And that's just during normal use, not in an avalanche. The additional trauma of an avalanche makes shovel loss from an external carry all the more likely. What if you come out on top but your partner is buried? Win = Mammut.

But the Snowpulse trigger is operated by the non-throttle hand. Win = Snowpulse.

Otherwise, these look like the exact same vest. No surprise as they are the same company.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I've been looking at the Spire also. Have an older ABS and its HEAVY! Main issue I see with the vests are that they block some critical venting on my jacket....on the klim jackets the front chest and rear back panel vents together give great through flow on a warm day and the avy vests look like they make these vents completely un usable. Otherwise great concept .

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Just went through this. Tried a bunch of em on. The Spire is by far the most comfortable. (Personal preference of course) It feels very very light. Not gaining a great deal of protection from the armor imo. Im usually wearing added protection under the pack anyway so wasn't an issue for me. The BCA has a little more protection for that matter around the torso. I liked the Protection that the PAS airbag provides for the head and neck in the spire. The 3.0 has some slight advantages over the 2.0. The spire also has the crotch strap which some do not. Found this to be another feature I really wanted as I don't wanna be choked out by my vest being pushed up into my neck if I am not conscious or unable to move..
FWIW, I was on the fence about getting one to begin with. we rarely (I mean rarely) put ourselves in situations where we find ourselves riding an aspect that will slide, let alone the conditions. Buddy of mine however made a statement to me that really stuck,
"If you found yourself in the middle of an avalanche how much would you pay to have one on your back."
I know that it really doesn't apply to the OP but I am sure there are those scrolling these threads that are on the fence as I was.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Tore out the front pocket on the Spire on my 4th ride. Let go right where the button is attached so I am hoping its manufacture defect and will get a free exchange. Gonna find out what kind of company Snopulse is. I'll keep you posted. Must say though that I rode four days damn near without knowing there was a pack on my back.

Garrelts

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2008
Just got the Mammut Alyeska vest because I found a good deal on it. I found it to have a bit smaller storage space than I thought it would be, however after moving stuff around I can fit a shovel, probe, spare goggles, and a pair of extra gloves. It fits great and is extremely light. So as long as you have some extra room on your sled for water and food this vest will work for you.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Well I can tell you that SNOPULSE came through! Swapped out at the dealer where I bought it. Says a lot for the company. Nothing but good things to say about the fit of the vest. Hundreds of miles now and just love the way it fits.

Tore out the front pocket on the Spire on my 4th ride. Let go right where the button is attached so I am hoping its manufacture defect and will get a free exchange. Gonna find out what kind of company Snopulse is. I'll keep you posted. Must say though that I rode four days damn near without knowing there was a pack on my back.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Just got the Mammut Alyeska vest because I found a good deal on it. I found it to have a bit smaller storage space than I thought it would be, however after moving stuff around I can fit a shovel, probe, spare goggles, and a pair of extra gloves. It fits great and is extremely light. So as long as you have some extra room on your sled for water and food this vest will work for you.

I have the same vest it's grey and I love it. I however have no idea how you can fit all that you said in yours. I can't even fill up the little zipper pouch in the back without the pack feeling like it's changed shape and uncomfortable. Please post pics if you read this. Plus I've had my buckles ice over on extreme days and. It even be able to get my pack undone without pouring water all over it once I'm back at the truck...There's good and bad about packing your shovel in your back pack. Depends on what situation happens but I don't want to have to take my pack off everytime I need my shovel or something so I pack most of my junk on the back of my sled and only put super emergency stuff in my vest. I'm getting a second canister and leaving it in the truck at minimum because my trigger got caught on something last Saturday morning and had choose to ride the rest of the day. Best thing about it is it doesn't feel like you have on anything at all but it does add to being a extra layer of clothing so you run a little hotter with it than without it.

Premium Features