• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cornice Drops

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
It's my first season on a sled & I'm starting to get a feel for launching the machine off cornices & airing small step-ups.

Last week I started dropping some smaller cornices with nice steep landings & about 2ft of fresh light-ish snow (3.5 feet deep in places). I Started off small, testing the cornice & landing at the small end... about 5 ft drop, then 8ft then 12-15ft. Launched the sled 7 times & really enjoyed it.

On the last drop, which was about 15 ft, I ran into a little problem...on landing, the sled buried deep into the snow & slowed down really quick. The result: I jammed my left knee thru the body of the sled & broke my kneecap. Obviously, I'd like to avoid this painful outcome next time I ride.

Any suggestions on technique? Things to look out for? Previous experiences like ths?

Details: The angle of the sled was aligned with the landing - meaning the skis & track contacted the snow about the same time.
The engine was not reving more than 2000 rmp on landing - I'm guessing this might have contributed to the rapid deceleration.
The landing was at least 45 degrees steep.
Sled sunk into the snow up to the handle bars
Sled is a 06 RMK 755 with 153 track & 3 inch riser

Any help most appreciated.
Dre

Last edited:

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
i hit the gas little bit when im landing to get the track speed back up to your airspeed so you dont jerk forward

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
Fist full of throttle right before you hit the snow but not to early, and wear some knee/shin pads. pm me if you want some info on the pads that I use they are way nice and affordable to boot.

D
Jan 19, 2008
Make sure you are mentally using your legs as shock absorbers, not just hitting the seat hard and pin it as you are landing!! Make sure you hang on, the higher you drop the more you bounce. When I first started dropping, I was intimitated by the drop and forgot about my body position.....i.e holding my face away from the handlebars and trying to stand through the landing. Also, depending on the angle of launch and landing, the slower you drop, the harder the landing, get some forward momentum before you leave the edge. Have Fun!!!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Motocross knee guards, dude. Best $12 i've spent, saved me from many a hard landings... Landed once and put a 7-8" crack in my sled, cracked my knee guard... knee's just fine :)

Tekvests are nice too. Handlebars hurt.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I was doing a little dropping myself a couple weeks ago and a fella I was riding with brought up a point worthy of some thought. He did just as you said, he landed properly, rammed his knees into his Rev's console and was one hurting unit. He said this never happened with his old sled which was an older style 800 ski-doo. We left it at that and headed home. Could it be that these rider forward (bellypanless) designs want to stop a little quicker when you dive them into the deepstuff? A couple other guys I know that used to air it out big off cornices now ride a little more conservative with their new iron.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
My first drop....

This past weekend, rode up to a freshly fluffed hill, light snow and you could see NO definition in the snow, cutting lines just to see what the terrain looked like! I was sidehilling across the face and the sled just fell out from underneith me:eek:! Didn't see even see it until I looked back. Solid 10ft drop, but standing on one board, on one foot, and not expecting it put a whole new thrill in it! Oh, and with my 275lbs, my old zx isn't meant for that!:rolleyes:

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
what "Doo It said.." Forward momentum will make the jump twice as fun, and long, and half the impact. I like about a running speed up to the cornice(average fairly good sized drop). If it has a steep landing i'll slow down to about a jog. If it has a landing thats not steep i'll hit it with alot of speed. Just keep messing around on the cornices that aren't real huge and pretty soon you'll be bombing some big stuff

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
I too like to hit them with a little speed. Depending on the drop and landing. Also absorb the impact with your legs. ( bend your knees) The bigger the drop the higher the fun meter goes.:beer;:beer;

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
1. like others have stated its critical that you be prepared with proper saftey equipment. Chest protecter, knee guards and shin guards is a good start.

2. Its critical on larger drops to have the track moving at roughly the same speed at which your falling. Dont wait till your almost landed to blurp the throttle. practice mid air throttle and brake (if needed). Some sleds (revs in particular) have crappy floats in the carbs and will cut out on impact, thus losing power and momentum to the hill. The sled stops and YOU continue forward. Track speed will cure that problem.

3. make sure your running boards a clear of ice and snow, and that your feet are firmly planted in the SAME spot. No happy feet, some people tend to lift them up a little in the air or dance a little bit. Doing so can be really bad... so take a few seconds and clear them off.

4. never do anything your not 100% confident about. when you think their is a possibility of wrecking, your going to wreck...

5. POST PICTURES FOR US!!! :D

D
Dec 11, 2007
Jackson, Wy
i've tried riding in knee guards and can't do it.
Knee/shin guards are easier to deal with than busted knee caps. Won't ride without them anymore. FLY makes a set that articulate well and are easy to get used to. Cheap, about $15.00. Good investment for your knees. Tek Vest is good insurance for your ribs as well. Dropped my nose in off a forty footer a few years back and learned the hard way. If I didn't have that stuff on I would have been in far worse shape.

Spend the dough, get used to using it and you won't need to see how much the chopper ride out costs.

corniceAftr50.jpg

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Idaho
Know what your going to do after you land! if your just getting into, like myself, after every drop you super excited and tend to not think. so if you've already decided where your going after you land then there wont be a problem. cornices are my most favorite thing right now! i wonder how it will be when i finally get the guts to go big :eek:

P

ps700

Nov 27, 2007
BCs Northern Capital
Dont let ur *** end drop to quick either, then ur front end slams down and u break ur steering post and have to ride out with it held together by vise grips just like Me. lol

Premium Features