• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your Ecoboosts, and what you're pulling?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have a 1981 chevy luv pull a 38ft enclosed 6 sleds all the gear run 80 to 95 mph get 22 and 18 with a head wind love it:bowl:

22 & 18 gallons per mile sounds a bit high. I could believe maybe 5 gpm but 95 mph, doubtful. :face-icon-small-coo

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Has anyone found a good air bag for the rear to help stabilize a heavier trailer? I've got a 3 place enclosed but there may be a possibility that I would tow a 25-27' in the future and would like to stiffen the rear up a little bit without load distribution bars.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I didn't by mine for fuel economy either. Heck, if the 5.0 was turbo'd I would have gotten it instead.

None of my vehicles are normally aspirated. NA vehicles suck in Colorado and forced air induction is the only way to go here.

The ecoboob's twin turbo's assure me I don't lose much, if any horsepower, when I'm towing a rig over 12,000 feet ASL.

So far, my F150 appears to be a perfect compromise of ride, power, and towing capability. It does all 3 well enough to satisfy my needs. I was going to get a 3/4 ton when I purchased my 29' fifth wheel camper but Ford's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks don't have the same auto 4x4 capability that the F150 does and that is important to me when I tow sleds in the winter.

I'm a hypocrite because I just traded my Platinum F150 EB for a Platinum F350. I'm getting 4mpg higher on the highway empty with my F350 than with my F150 EB at the same speeds! The reason why I supersized my truck is for the 100% gain in payload, increased tow capabilities, and my desire to tow another trailer in back of my 5th wheel. Wife is tired of towing the ATV trailer and lots of folks I've spoken to in my RV storage place "triple" tow with 5th wheels without any problems.

A couple of things I don't miss about my F150: Drive line shudder from a stop that is common with the 6.5 bed F150 due to 2 piece drive shaft and very messy oil changes with a lousy oil filter placement.

Last edited:

disummit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
2015 screw 4x4 3.5eb

2015 super crew 4x4, 3.55 max tow pkg pullin 2016 triton 7x29 xt247
All alum trailer. Loaded with 4 sleds. Somewhere around 5000 total lbs. Pulled for the first time from north metro twin cities to grand marais mn. We got 11.9 on evic pulling both ways. Hand calcutated is prob 1 mile less as always.

I have owned late model 5.7 hemis, 5.4 fords, 5.3 chevys. NONE of them will pull this load as easy with as good gas milege. Period!

I am a dodge guy, i had a 2012 laramie cummins before this truck. I dont care what anyone says, my cummins wouldnt do any better on gas than this.

I cant say enough good things about this ugly truck! If dodge comes out with a eb of there own i might jump. But i am very happy pulling with eb!

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
2015 super crew 4x4, 3.55 max tow pkg pullin 2016 triton 7x29 xt247
All alum trailer. Loaded with 4 sleds. Somewhere around 5000 total lbs. Pulled for the first time from north metro twin cities to grand marais mn. We got 11.9 on evic pulling both ways. Hand calcutated is prob 1 mile less as always.

Must have been real light on that skinny pedal!!

Here's the mileage from our recent trip out west. Yes, I track my mileage consistently. When gas consumption goes up something isn't right. No, I didn't buy a truck for the mileage. I bought it to do truck things with!

3 place open with salt shields 3 sleds. Good roads, 80+ the whole way to Cooke from Grand Forks, ND.

fuel_mileage.png

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Must have been real light on that skinny pedal!!

Here's the mileage from our recent trip out west. Yes, I track my mileage consistently. When gas consumption goes up something isn't right. No, I didn't buy a truck for the mileage. I bought it to do truck things with!

3 place open with salt shields 3 sleds. Good roads, 80+ the whole way to Cooke from Grand Forks, ND.

in his defense, a 7 wide enclosed trailer pulls amazingly easy unless there is a hellacious head/side wind. however, i still dont buy 12 mpg, real world hand calculated, with the ecoboost.... you hardly get 12 mpg with an ecoboost not pulling a damn thing with a 20 mph wind in the rolling hills.

even the 8.5 wide enclosed pull alot easier than you'd think (thus consuming less fuel). sure you feel more behind you due to other characteristics of the trailer, but it doesnt necessarily put that much more load on on the engine. i have a tuner with a gauge that i can watch engine load % with, and it is jaw dropping when comparing the engine load with a 4 place open vs this 30x8.5 enclosed. on the flat ground with all variables being similar, the engine load is within 5% (i wouldnt have believed that without seeing it myself). i also track my fill up's on fuelly. i have a 4 place open trailer that i get 10-10.5mpg with @ 80 mph going from ND to cooke. if i pull my buddy's 30x8.5 steal frame enclosed (4600 lbs dry), i get 9-9.5mpg with it. same trip, same speed. the wind resistance of an open trailer with sleds on it is NUTS.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
I wasn't calling anybody out. (or didn't mean to anyway)

I've pulled enclosed and know what they feel like. I know the salt shields are a great big sail just like an enclosed, but I was impressed that the speed difference gained that much mileage when you dropped from 70 mph plus average speed to some where in the 50 average.

What exactly is your truck that you are getting 10 with a 4 place? Mods? Make me spend some money!
Mine is bone stock 12, screw xlt, 6.5 box, towing/heavy payload, 3.73s.

They guy I was running with has a 13 eco, screw, 5.5, but has shorter gears (he doesn't know which ones) and he consistently put in 3-5 gallons less, but had a 14 foot trailer, two sleds, no shields. I just chalked it up to the shields.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
6.7 cummins, so i was not comparing apples to apples. i was just showing the comparison of a nice in-line 7' wide enclosed vs an open trailer. the wind resistance of a 4 place open is almost unbelievable until you compare to an enclosed trailer. well, i guess it is believable considering a guy can only get 10mpg with a diesel pickup haha.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
6.7 cummins, so i was not comparing apples to apples. i was just showing the comparison of a nice in-line 7' wide enclosed vs an open trailer. the wind resistance of a 4 place open is almost unbelievable until you compare to an enclosed trailer. well, i guess it is believable considering a guy can only get 10mpg with a diesel pickup haha.

Damn. I was hoping I could throw money at this thing and find a little mileage.

The quote earlier in the thread was "All Boost and No Eco!!" I agree and am just running with it!

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
2 diff motors

I read somewhere that the new 1 fiddy's (15+) have a totally new motor. They both are 3.5 turbos but the new one is redesigned from the ground up. I'll try to find the article and post it. My old man traded in his 12 EB for a 15 and that 15 seems to have a lot of giddy up.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ecoboost-v6-from-ford-performanceits-all-new/

Also 450+ hp out of 3.5 EB in the new Raptor. That'd be a fun ride

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I read somewhere that the new 1 fiddy's (15+) have a totally new motor. They both are 3.5 turbos but the new one is redesigned from the ground up. I'll try to find the article and post it. My old man traded in his 12 EB for a 15 and that 15 seems to have a lot of giddy up.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ecoboost-v6-from-ford-performanceits-all-new/

Also 450+ hp out of 3.5 EB in the new Raptor. That'd be a fun ride

I could be wrong but I think the all new 3.5 is only in the Raptor. The 3.5 ecoboost is the same from 14'-15' for the regular F150.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
New EB comes out for the 2017 model with the 10-speed (Schwinn) gearbox. Kind of like the idea of owning a 10-speed again, all the cool kids had them...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
That's the 10-speed that GM and Ford designed jointly.

I'm aware of this.

I wonder if it will lock some gears out if not in tow/haul mode...

Hoping I can get higher diff gears and still get use of the OD's. Better mileage empty on the highway would be nice and still have the low gears to tug the trailer around.

disummit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
in his defense, a 7 wide enclosed trailer pulls amazingly easy unless there is a hellacious head/side wind. however, i still dont buy 12 mpg, real world hand calculated, with the ecoboost.... you hardly get 12 mpg with an ecoboost not pulling a damn thing with a 20 mph wind in the rolling hills.

even the 8.5 wide enclosed pull alot easier than you'd think (thus consuming less fuel). sure you feel more behind you due to other characteristics of the trailer, but it doesnt necessarily put that much more load on on the engine. i have a tuner with a gauge that i can watch engine load % with, and it is jaw dropping when comparing the engine load with a 4 place open vs this 30x8.5 enclosed. on the flat ground with all variables being similar, the engine load is within 5% (i wouldnt have believed that without seeing it myself). i also track my fill up's on fuelly. i have a 4 place open trailer that i get 10-10.5mpg with @ 80 mph going from ND to cooke. if i pull my buddy's 30x8.5 steal frame enclosed (4600 lbs dry), i get 9-9.5mpg with it. same trip, same speed. the wind resistance of an open trailer with sleds on it is NUTS.

NO reason To lie homes! it is what it is. Just wanted to share my experience with my truck. I dont get how people are only getting 14 with truck unloaded either? I have gotten 21 on truck computer going to Iowa. By far best milege truck I have owned. Yes better than a 2012 cummins.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm aware of this.

I wonder if it will lock some gears out if not in tow/haul mode...

Hoping I can get higher diff gears and still get use of the OD's. Better mileage empty on the highway would be nice and still have the low gears to tug the trailer around.

I doubt it will actually lock gears out, but I'm sure some pretty special and specific parameters need to be met to get into gear 10. The RPM requirements will be higher along with load.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I've made that trip down the interstate towards Bozeman several times with the cruise set at 75 in my duramax pulling my triton aluminum 7x24 wall enclosed and don't ever remember being passed by all these speed demons doing 80 to 85. They must be traveling on the moon where there is no gravity and gallons are twice as big. I know that my truck with a banks kit on it will get anywhere from 8 to 16 mpg on that trip depending on the wind at 75 mph. get real guys. By the way my work truck is a ford so don't think I'm a chevy guy....

Premium Features