• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 SnoWest "ULTIMATE" Project Trailer #3, the build begins

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ya, I have a hard time imaging anyone here on SnoWest that wouldn't know exactly what to do with one of these bad boys from Mirage.

They are SUCH a fun trailer to have before and after the ride.

In all seriousness, I am quite happy with the build quality and durability of my 2002 Interstate Snow Sport, but if Mirage felt like sponsoring me, I suppose I could give them a try too.....:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In all seriousness, I am quite happy with the build quality and durability of my 2002 Interstate Snow Sport, but if Mirage felt like sponsoring me, I suppose I could give them a try too.....:face-icon-small-win
wow
13yr old trailer and still going strong???

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
wow

My featherlite is a 2001. Year after year it needs very little done to it. Has over 100,000 miles on it now. Tires, repacking bearings and replacing burned out lights is the only thing thats ever been done to it. Still looks like new. Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My featherlite is a 2001. Year after year it needs very little done to it. Has over 100,000 miles on it now. Tires, repacking bearings and replacing burned out lights is the only thing thats ever been done to it. Still looks like new. Eric
Thats the measure of a great trailer.
But there are so many nice new goodies on trailer now that weren't there 15 years ago..

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
wow

Yup, it's got a little corrosion around the ramp door latching hardware, but considering it spent the first 9 years of it's life in Western Washington where it never stops raining, I'd say it's in damn good shape. I don't have any intention of switching brands if or when I ever upgrade to a newer unit as this one has shown me what Interstate quality is like and how their trailers age over the long haul. I should also mention that I have every intention of keeping this trailer for years to come!

100_1664.jpg 100_1796.jpg

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Show us a Pic of the inside and outside of your trailer.

What does my trailer have to do with my question?

But since you asked. This was the last full enclosed one I had. No heat was installed because it sat in a heated garage at home and we always rode out of the cabin so we never had the use for adding it. Trailer was a 2007 if I remember correct and was a 7' wide with a 18' box and a 5' V.

We got rid of this a couple seasons ago as towing around that large of trailer was kind of a waste for only two sleds and always riding out of a cabin. So we picked up a Floe Protector (which is not really an enclosed trailer, more of an alum shell). But things change and I'm back in the market for a new enclosed and all of these new trailer threads have got me very interested as I believe I have my choice narrowed down to 3 possible companies. So when you mentioned things that were on a trailer now that was not on a trailer 15 years ago I was kind of interested to know what I was missing. Or if you were just taking about more goodies when it came to factory installed options.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What does my trailer have to do with my question?

But since you asked. This was the last full enclosed one I had. No heat was installed because it sat in a heated garage at home and we always rode out of the cabin so we never had the use for adding it. Trailer was a 2007 if I remember correct and was a 7' wide with a 18' box and a 5' V.

We got rid of this a couple seasons ago as towing around that large of trailer was kind of a waste for only two sleds and always riding out of a cabin. So we picked up a Floe Protector (which is not really an enclosed trailer, more of an alum shell). But things change and I'm back in the market for a new enclosed and all of these new trailer threads have got me very interested as I believe I have my choice narrowed down to 3 possible companies. So when you mentioned things that were on a trailer now that was not on a trailer 15 years ago I was kind of interested to know what I was missing. Or if you were just taking about more goodies when it came to factory installed options.

I was just curious to see what manner of trailer you had.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I understand you're getting these trailers at a discount in exchange for promoting them, but for the unsponshured rider is there an advantage to a $40,000 box vs buying a $40,000 toy hauler with nicer interior, plumbing, etc? Obviously you would lose the drive in/out option but since reverse is now standard on most sleds I don't know that it matters. Are the high end enclosed trailers built better? Just lighter for easier towing? I'm really curious, I bought a used enclosed with a heater for 7k and thought it was great, but don't see 33k more value in your set up, especially compared to toy haulers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I understand you're getting these trailers at a discount in exchange for promoting them, but for the unsponshured rider is there an advantage to a $40,000 box vs buying a $40,000 toy hauler with nicer interior, plumbing, etc? Obviously you would lose the drive in/out option but since reverse is now standard on most sleds I don't know that it matters. Are the high end enclosed trailers built better? Just lighter for easier towing? I'm really curious, I bought a used enclosed with a heater for 7k and thought it was great, but don't see 33k more value in your set up, especially compared to toy haulers.
Very fair question.
My trailer does get double duty.
It hauls 4-5 long track sleds AND hauls my 2 RZRs and Quads.
The problem/challenge with a conventional Toy Hauler is internal space for 4-5 long track sleds. The trailer will have to be VERY long to make room to fit it all in.

If you only had 2 Sleds, then the toy hauler would work great, and Mirage does offer that configuration as well.

One option I have seen at their factory that I have not yet tried out is the ceiling mounted bed that drops down via cables.

621e2c46d84e711d67a6f0fe0234ab04.jpg

bed.jpg

But the other issue is WIDTH.
Even with an 8.5ft wide trailer, when I load in my 4-5 sleds there is absolutely NO internal width left over . Even the couches are "marginal" width wise. Care MUST be taken when loading the sleds in so as NOT to scrape the couches and rip them to shreds.

When loading a RZR or Quads, they are simply not as wide and allow for a bit more leeway on the sides for furniture to be installed.

What would solve this of course is the new Gooseneck 5th wheel configuration that allows for a "Longer" trailer.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
My former boss had a Featherlite SURV toy hauler that had bunk beds that dropped down from the ceiling in the "garage" portion. They worked quite well.

I saw these the other day :

uploadfromtaptalk1445982493387.jpg

I have been thinking of using these to build a couple of bunks either using aluminum tube or wood 2"x4" to span the trailer to make a bunk or bench.

My trailer is an in line and there isn't much room for gear once 4 sleds are loaded. I am thinking of placing these brackets above sled height in the rear of the trailer. Once the sleds are loaded, pop the bunk in place and pile all of the totes, luggage and gear bags on the bunk above the sleds with easy access from the rear ramp door. If you need to get to something mid trip.

No need to try to crawl over the sleds or try to cram bags in between the sleds. Plus everything would stay high and dry on the return trip with wet sleds in the trailer.

The bunk I would make could be designed to clip onto the wall for storage when not in use, or double as a bench or couch with a set of lower brackets.

May be more "utility" than luxury I guess, but I usually ride out of a lodge, so I'll do most of my lounging in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall

In general the ceiling hooks are a HUGE success. I would add MORE of them going to the rear of the trailer, and to the FRONT of the trailer where there is the most heat. Also, if it is possible, add a small bend to create a LIP at the end of the hook. More than once we found items hung would fall off while driving home on highways after a good bump. A lip "might" stop that.

OK, I've been thinking about this and how I'd like my own trailer. This is what I came up with: L-Track on the ceiling.

So the track: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...e-Seat-L-Track/Aircraft-style-seat-track-6-ft

The fitting: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...Stud-Fittings-Accessories/Double-Stud-Fitting

The hook (#4): https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Stainless-Steel.asp

With two runs of track you could have as many hooks as you want where ever you want them. $7 for each fitting/hook combo is pretty cheap. Stuff wouldn't fall off those hooks either.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
OK, I've been thinking about this and how I'd like my own trailer. This is what I came up with: L-Track on the ceiling.

So the track: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...e-Seat-L-Track/Aircraft-style-seat-track-6-ft

The fitting: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...Stud-Fittings-Accessories/Double-Stud-Fitting

With two runs of track you could have as many hooks as you want where ever you want them. $7 for each fitting/hook combo is pretty cheap. Stuff wouldn't fall off those hooks either.
I have this on my truck, inside bed rails.
I like it, makes for limitless secure anchor points.
I have two more 6ft strips i have been planning on putting in my trailer. Not sure I'd mount it to the ceiling though?
Floor or walls probably.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

This sounds like a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!

Premium Features