• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best dedicated winter tire?

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
We had these on the duramax towing a 20ft enclosed car trailer (had a 94 Audi S4 in it and loaded completely for the move to AK ~8,000) on the Alcan in March. Worked out great. I personally love Hokka's but your size isn't available with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...87R7DMV1&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They maybe studless but they are very common here in AK. The trip up the Alcan was the sealer on these, 10% snowy grades mixed with probably the roughest driving conditions. They did great. Just my $.02

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
We had these on the duramax towing a 20ft enclosed car trailer (had a 94 Audi S4 in it and loaded completely for the move to AK ~8,000) on the Alcan in March. Worked out great. I personally love Hokka's but your size isn't available with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...87R7DMV1&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They maybe studless but they are very common here in AK. The trip up the Alcan was the sealer on these, 10% snowy grades mixed with probably the roughest driving conditions. They did great. Just my $.02

Those are great tires, I ran them on my 1/2 ton and a SUV. To bad they don't make them in 10 ply 80psi for the HD trucks. There is a lot to be said for soft winter compounds and tons of siping. Large lug mud tires are horrible on ice.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Appreciate it. Sounds like duratracs studded will be a strong choice.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Good choice, you'll like them. You may find that you need to run them at a little highter psi than other tires due to the softer sidewall and the squishy feeling on corners (but they do ride smooth because of that).

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I hate sliding around in the winter....so I stud my own..currently running cooper zeon ltz's ...very impressed with them load range e, very quiet, great traction(even though I would prefer an inch narrower for winter use)...wear is excellent and with a few studs...priceless on the nasty days.....
IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. That is far and away the best A/T tire on the market right now and you can stud them as well.

That is absolutely what is going to be going on my new truck come December.

Go with D rated tires if you have a half-ton go with E if you have bigger.

I bought 10 Good Year Duratracs last Sept, the 6 on my Cummins are shot! and the 4 on my F-350 gasser look brand new. If your trucks a Diesel? I'd look at the Good year Silent Armor Pro, that's what I'm going Back to on the Diesel.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
AK,
That's a lotta fricken studs:face-icon-small-sho I'll bet those are awesome on ice.

Are the gassers THAT much lighter than the diesels? Tec I'm surprised to hear the difference in wear is so drastic. Similar mileage?

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
AK,
That's a lotta fricken studs:face-icon-small-sho I'll bet those are awesome on ice.

Are the gassers THAT much lighter than the diesels? Tec I'm surprised to hear the difference in wear is so drastic. Similar mileage?

Typically it is the torque of the Diesels that peel the studs and soft rubber up quicker than a gas.

R
Mar 16, 2010
How much louder is a studded tire?

Not a whole lot once moving.

Low speeds, windows open, on pavement, the crunch is very audible, but IME, studs are inaudible at 15mph+.

They have to make SOME noise, but seems to me that tread pattern/wear make a FAR larger difference. The Coopers I used were not loud at all (Discoverer M&S with studs) - a non-studded tire was QUIETER, but not a whole lot.

I just put Duratracs on my 04 Cummins - the Duratrac is certainly louder than the worn out Michelin LTX M&S that came off it, but it is _tire_ hum, not the studs. I'm sure they'd be slightly quieter without studs - they have to be - but studs, in and of themselves, don't make a whole lot of noise.

Except in a parking lot. Then they're pretty noticeable. That noise gets masked once moving.

RH (so far, <1000 miles on the Duratracs - 265/70-17 LR E - I like them, a lot. No squish issues; yes, squishier than my Michelins, but, well, they have tread. Ride nicely, not too loud, shrug, no idea on snow or wear, but so far, so good)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AK,

yeah..when she looks like a freshly hotmopped ice rink...they are at their best for sure...kind of freaks peeps out when they are scared to run 25-30 mph, and here you come comfortable running the speed limit...had a cop pull me over on one of those kind of days years ago..man was he pissed I was driving so fast..then looked at my tires, shook his head(I learned this from the cops because they did it years ago) and said , please slow down a little bit..idiots see you go that fast and think they can..turned around..got in his car and left....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Typically it is the torque of the Diesels that peel the studs and soft rubber up quicker than a gas.
not so much..its spinning them that rips the studs out worse then anything I have seen yet..I will say one thing for every one that hates all wheel drive,,it doesnt rip studs out..and the tires wear evenly all year round.....the tires pictured above now have over 24000 winter miles on them(they go on at first snowfall..stay on till last spring bear hunt at the end of april) and of the 700 studs in each tire..I doubt there is more the 15-20 missing between all 4 tires total...

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Firestone

I've been running Firestone winterforce 265 70 17 on my gmc half ton the past couple winters. They are studdable but I never have. Great snow traction and does real well in the slop. Ice traction is never going to be great with anytire unless you stud them up. I don't think they make 10 plys for the heavier trucks out there but for half tons these are good.

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
Ill tell u for sure stay away from any Nitto there a southern company know nothing about snow only mud, sand, and street.

With that being said, my last set of tires I went with are Dick Cepek's Fun Country 2's in 37s. I really like them. Not only are they great for snow,but they look cool and there different.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
This is a copy/paste from the other active tire thread but....

Anyone use General Tire Altimax Arctic?

They won tire rack's winter tire challenge. Available in truck and SUV sizes. 2400 lbs per tire.
Studable and a cost of $112 a tire for 245/75r16

Only available in up to a 17" wheel but looks like a solid tire especially for the price.

Tire rack's test:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=123

They offer another version that will hold I think up to 3400 lbs per tire, cost about $20 more per tire.

G

grinney

Feb 6, 2010
I like the Firestone winter force lots of sipping and lots of holes for studs

Premium Features