• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colored XP tunnel

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Are the 2011 tunnels painted, powder coated, or anodized? If they were anodized that would be sweet and effective but I am guessing its just powder coat.

Thanks for the info

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
Powder coat

Powder coat, and I wish mine were plain aluminum.
In the deep, it's great as the snow does not stick to it very well, however on the trail, and getting into and out of the deep, as stated snow does not stick to it when you might actually want it to for cooling. I ride with a number of other doos, and when they are on the trail, and have some snow and ice built up on the top of the tunnel, (and are still running cool) I am hot, and have the scratchers down with not a flake of snow sticking to it.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure we will see others about it, but I would and will prefer plain ol aluminum on the 2013 snocheck. That, or it will hit the sand blaster shop down the street and remove it from the back of the tunnel.

If you ride in powder all the time it's great, if like most of us, and still have to get in and out of the deep, well, I've stated my opinion.

Again, just my opinion.

Yella'

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Overheating

I've also noticed the XP's with the black tunnels overheating. I ride a 2011 P-TEK 163 and have no probs. My Dad and his friend, as well as a friend of mine all have X model E-TEC's with black tunnels. They seem to have troubles. This pretty much happens on the groomed or hard packed trails. I thought at first It was because these old boys putt down the trail, but when my friend got his, he was having the same prob. Also, when there wasn't alot of fresh snow this would happen off the trail. Its gotta be like Yella said, the snow doesn't pack inside and build up on the outside of the tunnel.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The overheating '11 is from the unported track, not so much the tunnel I believe, the coolers underneath are not coated. Put unported track on the older XP and they heat up quicker too.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Are they *really* overheating or is it just a calibration change on the sleds with the Etecs? Like as in more sensitive to temperature? Are you going by gauge numbers or the light?
I ride with a couple guys with the powdercoated 2010's and haven't heard any issues from them.

A
Nov 26, 2007
definately from a non-ported track. I ran an 09 154 (stock track) last year and a friend ran an 08 154 with new non-ported track, on the way down going the same route he had problems toward the end of the trail near the parking lot. I had none.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Prolly dumb question, how does the ported track help? I am thinking of wrapping the tunnel in vinyl but im wondering if it would be a bad idea for shedding to much snow as I still ride trails when im with the family. Think it would be an issue, thinking of wrapping in yellow...
P

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Prolly dumb question, how does the ported track help? I am thinking of wrapping the tunnel in vinyl but im wondering if it would be a bad idea for shedding to much snow as I still ride trails when im with the family. Think it would be an issue, thinking of wrapping in yellow...
P

As long as you avoid wrapping the cooler it will not effect cooling.
The holes in the older tracks threw snow directly onto the cooler, with no holes the cooler only sees what is kicked up by the paddles in setup snow.
Riding alongside a holy track you can watch the snow coming out the holes.
Personally I think a track with smaller and fewer holes is the best way to go....doo just went overboard with the holes.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
The holes in the older tracks threw snow directly onto the cooler, with no holes the cooler only sees what is kicked up by the paddles in setup snow.
Personally I think a track with smaller and fewer holes is the best way to go....doo just went overboard with the holes.

More edges to catch and throw snow was kinda my thought just didn't know how much more it did. Kinda like the polished look but then I ONLY want the polished look always and get tired of doing it just because I want it, Idk vinyl is cheap and could be a cool add on not that its about looks or anything...
P

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA

I agree 100% on the ports. THe darn windows were too far, but the old track on the 06 with the smaller obrounds I thought was just right.
I still think the pc on the top of the tunnel is adding to the heat issue, and no it's not the light, it's watching the gauge, and then the light.

Yella

hillclimbx

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2010
Central MN
Well said brew it is deffinetly the non ported tracks causeing the problem. I am pretty sure we will be porting our new freeride with the 2 and a half, esspecially for rideing it here in minnesota.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
I'm porting mine this year so will see what diference it makes.
3/4 hole every other lug I think, stagger the pattern left and right.

Hey winter, hows the e-tec clutching comming along?

Premium Features