• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck build

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am going to build a sled deck. Looking for some pics from someone who has done this. And maybe some plans or measurements.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
just a thought but i have seen a few built out of aluminum 2 place trailers. my buddy has one i could take some pics sometime

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
do you want one thats supported on its own, or sits on the bed rails? steel or alum.

On mine I just did an 8x8 square and ran cross beams side to side 2' on center.. I like the this was out of 1 1/2" square steel tubing.. 1/8" wall if I remeber correct. front corners with a slight angle on them as it helps protect you from getting shanked when getting out of the truck.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
just look at pictures of the different designs on the web, and draw up your own plan, with the pros of each deck built in to yours. expandable, 10 ft ramp, lights underneath, poly bead or bedlined decking, just a few ideas

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
'Lights under is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Will for sure do that. I dont think I am going to do the expandable sides. I would like that but I dont know if it is worth the extra steel and fab work. I don't drive my truck much unless I am towing a sled trailer or a boat. It is not a daily driver so I dont think the expandable sides is a huge deal.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
Im just in the works of starting to build my own sled trailer too! I like the option of being able to customize it for me!:face-icon-small-hap

F
Nov 26, 2007
On my next one I am going to include a front opening hatch to drop stuff in the front of the box rather than pull everything out the back.:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I am working on finishing mine up.. Putting some marker lights on the back corners with a trailer harness on it as I have a beaver tail and its nice ot be able to see the corners of the deck at night when backing up etc.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Here are the plans I have drawn up. Do you see anything that you would change or suggest ?
Top support view
topview001.jpg

Back view
back001.jpg

Side view
side001.jpg

Front view
front001.jpg

Ramp
ramp001.jpg

C

claydogm8

Feb 14, 2008
Ridgway, Co
I really like your design for the deck i had a similar idea. Just one question, on the top support view why did you space the last two farther than the rest?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I really like your design for the deck i had a similar idea. Just one question, on the top support view why did you space the last two farther than the rest?

That is the dove tail part of it, I spaced them that way so tyhe ramp would fit inbetween the supports easier when sliding it in or out of the storage area. It is hard to tell from that angle.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
looks pretty good, close to the same as the one i have drawn out. The other thing i was kicking around is putting some kind of protection by the outside skis to keep road grime and crap from coming up. it probably just my wide tires, but the sleds get a bit dirty up there. and the hatch in the front is a good idea, just not sure about the ramp being right beneath it.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
possibly an X brace on the legs (front view)

Yeah, good idea, now my updated drawing has a cross brace in front. And a brace across the bottom of the rear legs. I want to be able to slide my gear bag under the deck without to much trouble.

I am starting to worry that as I keep adding things that It is getting heavy.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think if done right you can combine a lot of parts together.. like make the leg braces part of the ramp holder underneat, etc.. take some time, build it in your head, look at it, look at it again.. you know, just think about anything you can combine/integrate to provide strength and support a function.

and just to heckle your math.. on your support hangers, you have sort of a wedge shaped guy for around the wheel wells, your verticle support is 26", and your angled one is 27"... that would be almost verticle, maybe like 5-10*.. I know its just a rough sketch, not a real build, I was just picking fun.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I think if done right you can combine a lot of parts together.. like make the leg braces part of the ramp holder underneat, etc.. take some time, build it in your head, look at it, look at it again.. you know, just think about anything you can combine/integrate to provide strength and support a function.

and just to heckle your math.. on your support hangers, you have sort of a wedge shaped guy for around the wheel wells, your verticle support is 26", and your angled one is 27"... that would be almost verticle, maybe like 5-10*.. I know its just a rough sketch, not a real build, I was just picking fun.

I couldn't find a protractor, I am sure that's not the only thing that is off. The dove tail measurements are off too.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
got trig? hahaha.. just giving you crap. good luck on the build, its really nice to have stuff you built yourself.

You $hitting me ?? I couldn't even figure out prealgabra !!

My plan is to build one before the snow show in salt lake and try to sell it. hope to make enough off it to pay for mine.

Premium Features