• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Edge Project *Pics*

E
Feb 22, 2009
So i've found out that the Wilwood caliber is a direct bolt on to the Escape. So that's good! Anyone know if the rotor was larger or smaller on the edge than the Escape's rotor?

E
Feb 22, 2009
Went into Polaris today and found out that the rotors are different SN #'s but if you try to order the older part # from the Edge, then it proceeds over to the Escape part # so I'm thinking it's the same rotor. I'll try my luck and order the Willwood Caliber.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
Went into Polaris today and found out that the rotors are different SN #'s but if you try to order the older part # from the Edge, then it proceeds over to the Escape part # so I'm thinking it's the same rotor. I'll try my luck and order the Willwood Caliber.

Let us know, that's one of the reasons I didn't go that route also, when I was talking to Robbie at Avid he said you have to buy a new brake etc...parts started to add up...

E
Feb 22, 2009
you got that right

Let us know, that's one of the reasons I didn't go that route also, when I was talking to Robbie at Avid he said you have to buy a new brake etc...parts started to add up...

It definatley has...I'm $3000 into track/suspension mods and havn't even had it out yet to test it.

Chaincase $650
Case Protector $100
Drivers $250
Gearing $100
Chain $100
Brake Caliber $130
Dragon SKD $500
Wheels + Axel $400
Track $900

Let's just hope this is it...Looks like trailing arms and new bars will have to wait till next year :-(

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Looks like a good project. I've looked at the drop and roll for additional clearance, but opted to ditch the front cooler and go with a U cooler in the rear. Dropped some weight and was able to leave the drive stock with A LOT of clearance for the track.

Good luck!

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Cooler was $300, but it's been 4 or 5yrs ago. A friend just bought one from Fabcraft for $400. Other than that, a few dollars for rivets and your good to go. I do have some pic's, but I'm not sure how to post them?

I've put Avid anti rachet drivers on as well, those added to the price, but worth it. I've got an Attach 20 on this particular edge sled however a younger kid built a hillclimber out of an older edge sled and he removed the front cooler and copied my sled. He runs a 2.5 inch Challenger Extreme and has plenty of room.

I've never had cooling issues either. If you are looking for added clearance, it's cheap and simple to do. If you are looking for a better approach, the d&r is good, but you could bend the approach of your rails in a press and accomplish almost the same goal.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Can't wait any longer

Update:

Willwood caliber showed up a few days ago, bolts right on. :) Thanks again Mountain, and FASTRAX. If anyone is thinking of doing this install please PM me before you start. Guesse what we found out last night...Chain tensioner assembly in the edge is not compatable with the Avid chaincase. My own fault should have checked all this out before starting. After calling 15 different polaris shops today, I found one in stock and have it coming, will be here tomorrow. Should be my last suprize on this project and should be riding this weekend after wasting half the season. I never thought it would take this long, waiting on parts sucks. Story of this project. Thanks to everyones help. Will post pics of the finshed project soon.

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
Update:
.Chain tensioner assembly in the edge is not compatable with the Avid chaincase. My own fault should have checked all this out before starting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what sled did you have to order a tensioner from? Just my thought, would have thought it would have come with Avids Chaincase.:beer;

Last edited:
E
Feb 22, 2009
One would think...IMO if I was selling the cases i would be selling them with all the internal parts optional gearing, chain...and include the option to purchase a brake caliber that bolts on. Also the support that we have got from Avid is next to nothing, have had to phone a few times now. Long story and don't feel like bashing them right now. That will be in another post in the near future. The tensioner I ordered is the tensioner out of a 03/04 Vert Escape. The case is actually designed for a Vert Escape, not an Edge.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
those of you that removed the front cooler. that all you did is remove the cooler and you can run a 2.5 track?

E
Feb 22, 2009
I'll be hitting the mountains this week. Most of the snow around here is all gone. Had it out on the lake this afternoon. But brought it back within 15 mins of riding due to not enough snow. Had it out long enough to bag the sh*t out of it and make sure nothing got missed. Worked well, new suspension kicks ***, and I don't have to have momentum to get it back on the truck. I can stop half way up and she actually catwalks up the ramp if you give her too much juice. I'll be doing some minor adjusting before I go. Gearing it down from a 21-41 to a 19-41 sure made a difference. Not sure if its the gears or the track but it hooks up and will stand the front end up pretty good. I'll be tightening the limiters tonight and taking her on the lake one last time before I head out. The can just isn't sitting right as the mounting holder bracket had to be moved slightly. I think I got it figured though...just minor stuff, time consuming. Can't wait to slay a dragon and chase a kitty up a tree.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks but...

Your sled looks really organized underhood. I might have to sneak out to the garage and organize my underhood. Nice job!

I have a fair bit of organizing left to do. I'm no happy yet, but thanks for the compliment. That kind of stuff always comes last, I was actually planning on pulling the engine when i get back from next trip just to give it a good cleaning. Change out some hoses, and replace the bottom steering bushing. POS plastic bushing. Has some play in it, and last time i pulled the engine I didn't have time to wait for it to come in. Thanks though.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I'll be hitting the mountains this week. Most of the snow around here is all gone. Had it out on the lake this afternoon. But brought it back within 15 mins of riding due to not enough snow. Had it out long enough to bag the sh*t out of it and make sure nothing got missed. Worked well, new suspension kicks ***, and I don't have to have momentum to get it back on the truck. I can stop half way up and she actually catwalks up the ramp if you give her too much juice. I'll be doing some minor adjusting before I go. Gearing it down from a 21-41 to a 19-41 sure made a difference. Not sure if its the gears or the track but it hooks up and will stand the front end up pretty good. I'll be tightening the limiters tonight and taking her on the lake one last time before I head out. The can just isn't sitting right as the mounting holder bracket had to be moved slightly. I think I got it figured though...just minor stuff, time consuming. Can't wait to slay a dragon and chase a kitty up a tree.

Some of it is gearing, you are going from 1.95 to 2.15 ratio, and the rest is the track. Best thing I ever did on my edge was change the track.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Gearing

Some of it is gearing, you are going from 1.95 to 2.15 ratio, and the rest is the track. Best thing I ever did on my edge was change the track.

What did you say your running again for gearing RYD? I remember I had asked before but I have forgotton now. I think I still might gear it down some more yet, but wanted to try the 2.15 ratio first, as it was the cheapest way out. Changed my top gear from a 21 down to a 19 and left the bottom for now. With the new Chaincase can you believe I had to get a 80 Pitch chain. :) I'm curios to see what I'll be buzzing at, as I havn't attempted to change any clutching yet...

Premium Features