• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 HP Powerstroke 6.4L

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Well I have to jump in some time! I have a older 97 P-Pump cummins here is a small list of what it took to get to 515 RWHP I Know its not 600 but I got sick of spending money!
1.#10 fuel plate 2. 120hp DDP injectors 3. Gov Spring Kit 4. ARP head studs 5. Larger Turbo 6. New boost elbows 7. Intake/Exaust 8.Larger delivery valves 9. South Bend 13" Clutch 10. Flex-a-Lite Electric fan 11. Ported head 12. Ats 3 peice manifold
The truck runs great all day. I do wish I had the option of diffrent power levels from the front seat of the truck but what do you expect it's a 12 year old truck!

Thats awesome, how bout a pic?
Here's my 93'. Wish I could sell it and get a 96-98 to play with.....

Toys 002.jpg

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
I'll try to load one up! Those 1st gen cummins are a lot of bang for the buck. Ive seen many at 300 RWHP Pretty nice that you can get 60hp with a screwdriver on a vp pump!

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
you can make 600 hp with a single turbo, single cp3, been done plenty of times....and btw that 99 dodge has to have a built tranny....

Of course it could, but most of us use are diesel trucks to haul trailer. I big single with bigger injectors on a stock CP3 would get really hot really quick egt wise pulling 10-15K pounds in the mountains. Not to mention the Lag a big single has!

BTW i own a 99 Dodge, I know all about the tranny ;)

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
well if its not approved by powerjoked 162 it can't be real...

"How about all you diesel experts break down what needs to be done to get a Dodge or GM to near 600hp???? It may be easier than I thought but I haven't seen it. "

more like what needs to be done to the trannys to survive that kinda power. which is what I am not buying.

*Still waits for mod's list and dyno sheets*

#1. It has been done with a 6.4, there are sheets and timeslips of several different trucks to verify this to be true.

#2. While my experience and knowledge is mostly with the Powerstrokes, 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4. I know very little about the Duramax's and even less about the Dodges. So my "theory" or "approach" at making 600rwhp with a Duramax would be as goes. Intake, Exhaust, Gt40, PPE tuning(and/or) EFI live, and a Suncoast trans. Possibly, if necessary, a wee-shot of nitrous. Boom, 600rwhp, no question. And, to the best of my knowledge, 600rwhp has been and is being done on one CP3.....

#3. This endless banter is irrelevant and merely stalling your response to the fact that you have been asked to post a mod's list and a dyno sheet to back your statements of being able to out do a 600rwhp 6.4. So we wait......

Cowboy Steve

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
Not a thing to the Ford's. Instead of acting like a two year old and calling people names, why dont you list the mods? To get the Ford there, as was already posted, you need a tuner, intake, and dpf delete.... Now your turn....

the 5.9,6.7,6.6 can do 500 with a programmer or two.the dodge will be hot only good for a short burst, but it can do it on the dyno. 6.4 with the mods you mentioned is good for 530 or so,a little more than a dodge but not much. Iam more interested if the tranny could make it to 20,000 mile with multiple 15-20lbs 4wd boost launches.the dodge and chevy can't and I really doubt the ford tranny will last with intense abuse drag racing, sled pulling.people on this thread are making this truck out to be way more than what it is.truth is the ford is finally in same league as the others, but to run @ 600 hp on the stock driveline is rediculous.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
"This endless banter is irrelevant and merely stalling your response to the fact that you have been asked to post a mod's list and a dyno sheet to back your statements of being able to out do a 600rwhp 6.4. So we wait......"

05 tst powermax stacked with smarty can make 500 hp on the dyno with all else being stock. again its a hot combo and most settings are useless towing.. but who cares, its pointless as the tranny won't survive, egts would be through the roof driving with 500 hp of fuel, rail pressure would not keep up on long pulls, etc. Wonder why suncoast is making parts for the 6.4 now if they are as indestructible as people make them out to be.:confused: after watching my buddy replace his oil cooler on his 05 6.0 I could never own a 6.4....an 08 f-350 yes, but without the motor.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
People are running these tunes as daily drivers, A LOT of people and towing and dragging with the highest tune with no problems. I agree with some people statements, alot of other vehicles can and will make ove 500 with stock components, but only for one pull or two, not all day everyday driving like these trucks are they just simply cant support that as egts go out the roof whereas the ford stays within reason.

Skidooer1, yes the tranny's are holding up, yes suncoast is makeing a few different options for tranny's but very few are just switching out actuators for better shifting pressure on the clutch packs, not a full system. This is merely to help quarter mile times, nothing to do with durability as matt with spartan himself will tell you himself its not needed for everyday driving. And your right this is useless bantering, but its fun to see everyone's few as ford finally catches up. Dont get me wrong, i like the other diesels i just like a truck to go with my motor. ;)

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
i know a few guys around here that brag up the ford but the funny thing was we had truck pulls at ft benton and havre last fri and sat and the only one to show up was a souped up 1984 gasser from billings?????

and an 06 duramax won both days, my 06 duramax got 3rd fri and 2nd sat and i just run a crazy larry on a stock pickup, won it last year but not quite this year, guess i'll have to buy some go fast parts:D:D

X
Sep 5, 2008
I am huge Cummins fan but 600 hp from stock components is not possible. The stock turbo cannnot flow enough air to keep egt's under control when trying to fuel that much power. Stock turbo on a 04.5 and newer 5.9 will be good for about maybe 475hp at the flywheel. The injectors and CP3 are good for some decent power but NO way will the turbo do the job in stock form.
The cummins engine is capable of 1000hp easily with stock internals but the externals need to be upgraded to get there.

There are several d-max's with 1000 plus HP but they are completely built engines (rods, pistons etc.)

I agree that if you want a 1000 hp truck than the Cummins is the way to go cause it is the easiest to get there but all of the new Diesels are capable of that number not just the Cummins.

And by the way, the Cumminsforum sucks HUGE, go to the dieseltruckresource.com for some real info or competition diesel, that's where the HP hangs out.

I have d-max now and once it is broke in and there are no bugs I will start to put some power to it. Nick from duramaxtuner.com is about an hour south of me, he has some very impressive tunes for the D-max through EFI live.

You may want to read a little about the 6.4 before you go posting things like this. I have the Spartan with the 275 loaded and it is holding up just fine with the stock (turbos). Granted if you go beat on it day in day out parts will begin to fail.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
gota give ford credit,look what the others are ruuning now.gm-isuzu,dodge-cummins,ford is ford.looks like no one else has the balls to even try there own.i will never give up my 7.3 though.just my .02.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
gota give ford credit,look what the others are ruuning now.gm-isuzu,dodge-cummins,ford is ford.looks like no one else has the balls to even try there own.i will never give up my 7.3 though.just my .02.

yep! and ford owns cummins too, just lets dodge use the motor :rolleyes:...

ford= navistar/international

your mighty 7.3 ford powerstroke is actually a DT444E international, look on your valve cover.

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
600 hp in todays big three diesel world isnt that big of a deal anymore IMO,

Lets just see what happens to that 6.4 when/if it gets around 1000,1500,1800hp like some certain comp/puller trucks... AINT GUNNA HAPPEN PERIOD!

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska

Lets just see what happens to that 6.4 when/if it gets around 1000,1500,1800hp like some certain comp/puller trucks... AINT GUNNA HAPPEN PERIOD!

HAHA, i cant believe this thread is still around, gotta love it. Hey matty, how much you spend to get your cummins to 600hp since its not a big deal?:D

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
yep! and ford owns cummins too, just lets dodge use the motor :rolleyes:...

ford= navistar/international

your mighty 7.3 ford powerstroke is actually a DT444E international, look on your valve cover.

Matty, Ford's new diesel is privately built by Ford. 6.7l coming in the 2010 trucks. JFYI:beer;

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN

AH matty can you show me were ford own cummins. Last time I looked they (ford) looked into buying them but they didn't this was back in like 1993. Ford use cummins in there bigger truck like F-650 an up. My brother works for Cummins in there Power Generation part and there no ford ownership there. But I have been wrong before.

Mike

Premium Features