• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chip for 06 dodge 5.9

I have been looking at some chips lately and im going with the edge juice with attitude good or bad? Also i found some on ebay but they are reconditioned they are cheaper than new is that a good idea to get a reconditioned one or not??
any input will help

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I have a Edge Juice with Attitude I can sell you cheap. Tried it on my early 07' 5.9l.
I ended up with a Smarty, and would suggest the same to you. But I would like to sell this Edge.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
IMO I'd pass on the Edge. I started with it and the power is decent and really only starts at like 2krpms.. it runs way to hot to really race with it or tow up hills with anything decent behind you.

get a smarty or smarty jr with gauges.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
i have a chips on my 03 and 04 trucks......lots of scraches also....lol

couldnt resist that one. go with a smarty downloader it rocks and its also a diagnostic scanner to erase and check codes. you can also change your spedo for big tires, which is nice.

if you want the biggest power and on the fly adjustability and built in gauges go with tst's powermax fueling module...but it can supply more fuel than your stock turbo can handle and drivetrain for that matter. cool thing is though it has an auto back down for boost and egs's so you can set it and forget it. also has a built in cool down timmer for the turbo.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
The EJA work better on the pre 06 trucks. Way more tempermental as far as electronics go! Get the smarty Jr, some gauges and never look back!

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
had the edge on my 05 cummins, had intake and 5in exhaust. EGT's were fine but it would over boost constantely. I would run 46 to 49 psi if i didnt have the chipped turned down, plus the chimes would go off constantly pulling anything. This was my fault but by not putting in a stronger clutch but i only got 17,000 miles out of mine and that was running on setting 3 most of its life.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
had the edge on my 05 cummins, had intake and 5in exhaust. EGT's were fine but it would over boost constantely. I would run 46 to 49 psi if i didnt have the chipped turned down, plus the chimes would go off constantly pulling anything. This was my fault but by not putting in a stronger clutch but i only got 17,000 miles out of mine and that was running on setting 3 most of its life.

Was that with the stock turbo?:eek:

On the 04.5 and up trucks if your running the stock turbo you need to get a mechanical WG conversion for it that taps into your intake manifold since the factory electronic wastegate actuator wont work while being boost fooled by the edge via the map sensor.

Also where were you getting your boost reading? Mechanical gauge? The stock MAP sensor(electronic sensor that your edge gets it boost reading from) can only read up to 40lbs if you put your overboost limit/alarm at 41 it cant go off. Set your defuel to 38-39 lbs and it wont go over that. If you set your defuel over 40 it wont pull back fuel from an overboost condition.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Ya that was with the stock turbo, With the attitude monitor, if the display only went to 40 psi then my then mine was jacked cause it would consistantely read between 46-49 psi in a pull, My buddy has the same chip and an 06 cummins his stock turbo blow up at 46 psi. Varified by dodge dealer. So im just wondering were the monitors just wrong or they didnt work right. Anyway i hated the edge juice w/ attitude, liked my mechanical guages way better

Last edited:
M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
Ya that was with the stock turbo, With the attitude monitor, if the display only went to 40 psi then my then mine was jacked cause it would consistantely read between 46-49 psi in a pull, My buddy has the same chip and an 06 cummins his stock turbo blow up at 46 psi. Varified by dodge dealer. So im just wondering were the monitors just wrong or they didnt work right. Anyway i hated the edge juice w/ attitude, liked my mechanical guages way better

it blew up at 46?? i know the 06-07 turbos can handle 50 easily.. not very efficiently but I know they can handle it.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
it blew up at 46?? i know the 06-07 turbos can handle 50 easily.. not very efficiently but I know they can handle it.

the stock map sensor will only read till about 46 or so....so who knows how high it really got to before it went boom....plus at that boost/fuel level the egt's are so out of hand he is lucky he didnt melt a hole in one or more pistons or take out the head gasket.

wow i didn't think the head gasket could handle that much boost without being fire ringed.

at 50psi boost from the stock hy9 turbo the drive pressure or back pressure is like 70~80 psi with that and super high egt's will take out the head gask. the 3rd generation or common rail motors have a multi layer head gasket with that and set of studs is all thats needed anymore for some really high boost, as long as the egt's are not stupid high. if your one who wants the 100+psi of boost then you may want o-rings.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
ya i know his egts were way up there around 15-1600 degrees when it blew. Stock exhaust except for the cat was removed. I could never get mine above 1350 with the 5in exhaust. I wasnt ever worried about my psi but the chime was annoying, especially in northern wyoming when all u do is go up and down hills on the interstate.

S
Nov 25, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Man 15-1600 degrees, the cummins shouldnt be run over 1400 degrees, that is the melting point for the pistons. I have a smarty with afe stage 2 air intake 5 inch straight pipe from turbo back. Never had any problems with egts even pulling my camp trailer up a steep grade never been above 1100 degrees. I noticed the difference when i cut out cat and muffler.

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
S m a r t y

Smarty or Smarty JR is the only way to go on the Dodge's. Had one on my 06 and that thing was an animal. The smarty does a very good job keeping the egt's in check even when pulling very heavy.

-Seeder

EDP

Lifetime Membership
Any Edge products purchased thru EBAY do not carry any type of warranty. I would highly recommend not purchasing any chips or programmers off EBAY as most manufacturers do not support or condone ebay sales.

As for what choice of programmer I recommend for the 5.9 i would go with either the Smarty or the smarty jr. Both are great products. IMHO the Smarty is way more then most consumers really need unless they intend on building the tranny up. Another good bang for the buck is the TS MP8 and the diablo predator. Both will give a good gain in mileage and performance safely.

J

jlebrun_05

Dec 9, 2007
Dell Rapids, SD
get on dieseltruckresource.com or a site like that, and you will find lots of information, plus in the classifieds you can find chips that are used for half the price of new ones

Premium Features