• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are your Trailer Mods?

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
I have a 2009 MTI 26'. This is my 1st enclosed and definitely not my last. For Mods we installed a 30 000btu Atwood furnace, a roller tool box, channel hooks and baskets. Waiting to get the ambition to finish it. We still need to finalize where we want everything. Still need to put a stereo in it and install the power invertor (1000w).

M
Dec 7, 2007
Alberta
We have a 28' Charmac

45000btu furnace, stereo, 5000Watt electric heater, 6 sets of flourecent lights, 3000w inverter, full mechanic tool box with all the tool, spring loaded trouble lights and extension cords, 2 onboard batterys,super clamps, solar panels, fully insulated (exept the floor but doing it soon), secerity alarm, fold out work bench, and lots of cabinets and hooks

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
07 Aluma 28 Ft Enclosed

I have a 2007 Aluma Enclosed that is wired with 110 for lights and outlets besides the 12 volt interior lights with a 4ooo watt inverter with deep cycle marine battery, Electric custom mounted tongue jack, Stinger mounted rechargable flash light with 2nd battery, Portable quiet running honda gen. set, Alum. wheels, LED exterior lights, propane 30,000 btu wall heater, and now considering possible electric heat besides the propane. Very nice trailer but have hab to have the tongue reinforced due to alum. weld cracks.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
I have a 2007 Aluma Enclosed that is wired with 110 for lights and outlets besides the 12 volt interior lights with a 4ooo watt inverter with deep cycle marine battery, Electric custom mounted tongue jack, Stinger mounted rechargable flash light with 2nd battery, Portable quiet running honda gen. set, Alum. wheels, LED exterior lights, propane 30,000 btu wall heater, and now considering possible electric heat besides the propane. Very nice trailer but have hab to have the tongue reinforced due to alum. weld cracks.

What are you looking at for electric heat? I am thinking of doing the same. Trying to figure out a solar electrical system for it to run off of while out riding......

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I'm currently playing with 2 48" 110v base board heaters. 5300+ btu per unit. Found them at WW Grainger. I'll re-post after a couple cold trips to see how well they work. EW

B
Dec 21, 2006
We run 2 6V batteries.

I am not sure if you are serious. I don't know enough about this type of stuff but I am running 1 deep cycle right now. I am thinking of running a second one in line like a camping trailer has. Anybody have any pros and cons to this system?

B
Jan 28, 2008
two batterys hooked together work great-buy a boat battery bank charger and put plug on front of your trailer-charge at home they last a long time

A
Dec 8, 2007
From what I understand there are two basic type of batteries - cranking and deep cycle. Cranking batteries are designed to provide quick bursts of current to start a car or tuck, then accept a charge in a reasonably quick amount of time. By design the lead plates are thinner and more prone to warping from heat of use. Deep cycle batteries i.e.. "golf cart batteries " have thicker internal plates and are designed for a deep discharge - charge cycle . Most 12volt deep cycle that you see at Walmart and Shucks are not true deep cycle batteries due to thin size of the internal plates. At best they are a hybrid battery that is just OK at either task.
So if you want a true deep cycle battery with thick durable plates that has a long life cycle you will most likely end up with a 6 volt battery . The down side is you need 2 to make a 12 volt system, the up side is service life. Two 12 volt batteries can have the same CCA as two 6 volt batteries but will not last as many charge discharge cycles, but on the plus side you can get a 12 volt battery anyplace.
In my humble opinion I suggest two 6 volt true deep cycle batteries to run a trailer electrical system. If your planing on using an inverter to run 120v heat or a electric blanket it may be wise to a separate the banks with an isolator you don't kill the truck batteries and you still have power for the lights and heat if you leave something on. Its all about math- you have only so much gas in the tank you have only so much amp-hour capacity and you have a known amount of draw . In sled terms you can have a turbo 1000 and a 2 gallon gas tank or a 550 fan with a 55 gallon drum of fuel.

A
Dec 8, 2007
Yes
If I was going to use just one battery or a pair of batteries tied together and you were charged with the truck I would use a constant duty relay to make the connection only when the truck was running. I prefer relays for three reasons
1) cost
2) no voltage drop - you loose a bit of voltage through the diodes in the isolator
3 ) no way of running the truck battery down when the trailer is hooked up and the truck is off.

If your running two banks of batteries you can use either an isolator , relay ( this will require you to switch the battery banks on and you could forget to turn them on to charge . Will also allow you to run both banks down if your forget . or a marine style battery switch ( you can "save " a bank by not using it but its still manual )
Most have one bank of batteries that get charged through a relay in the truck and call it a day. If you run the batteries down you just start the tow rig.

Premium Features