• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Bought New Ram Half Ton Diesel!!!!

S
Sep 2, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Don't believe your driver info center on a Dodge/Ram. They consistantly run 11-14% high, it's well documented. I'm on an Truck Camper forum regularly where all of us carry heavy loads with campers and Dodge/Ram's are no where near the mileage displayed. The new Fords and GM's are actually getting very close to actual gallons used when compared to the pump.

I just wanted to chime in a little off topic. I got a '14 Ram 3500 diesel in May and had a friend that had recently switched their company trucks to gassers for lower purchase and operating costs. My company trucks are all diesel but we tow heavy loads with our pickups more than try do. I was curious to see how the operating cost compared so I started keeping track of gallons of fuel purchased right off the bat not knowing that the truck was keeping track of gallons used until later.

The computer thinks I only need to change the oil about every 15,000 miles, but at least 30% of my miles are towing 16,000 + lbs. and nearly 50% are on dust gravel roads. I ignore that part of the computer and change oil and air filter every 5,000 or less. I did however wait until the computer told me to change the fuel filter. At 14,586 mi. The truck had received 706 gal of fuel and the computer said 712 gal.. Seems pretty accurate and that puts the actual average economy at over 20 mpg. Considering all the towing I cannot complain about that at all! Just wanted to throw that into the mix and let you guys know this is a great thread. I have been curious about that 1/2 ton diesel and like to hear actual experiences!

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
That's a .99% variation. And it's low not optimistic as morsno said. The longer I've had mine the more accurate its gotten to the point where I stopped hand calculating about a month ago. I'll give another update when I have more time to type tonight.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
we just bought a standard cab 4WD for a guy at work. took it around the block and it is a NICE truck. getting 22MPG around town. ton of torque. smooth transmission. i like it, but dont regret buying my evo boost f150.

Update - After having some some time in the truck he's getting 25-26mpg. That's around town, back to his house in the mtns (4wd a lot of the time) and hauling around HVAC equipment (not very heavy). His 5.3l Chevy was getting 17ish doing the same work.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Its pretty neat these trucks are panning out. A drywall sub of mine has one and tows a 6x10 single axle enclosed around everywhere he goes. He lives about 30 miles out of town on the interstate, drives it at 80 every morning, then all in town after that. He has told me more than once that his average is over 20 hand calcd. He also told me he took it on a road trip and drove the speed limit empty and had a tank that was over 35 mpg. It will get really interesting with the new Colorado coming out with and inline 4 dmax with 369 lb ft of torque. Its a good time to be in the market for an oil burner!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i am on an eco diesel facebook page. a guy recently posted a pic of his ED pulling a 4 place enclosed. he took a pic of the dash and it showed 11 mpg. he was asked if he could set the cruise at 80 and let it chug along and he said........... Didn't try cruise. I kept it between 62 and 72 mph and it lived in 6th and 7th gear. Only went into 8th going downhill. it was around 2600 rpm. I really had to keep my foot in it to maintain speed.

if i drove 70 i could do better than 11 with my 6.7 cummins. so mileage appears to drop alot when making it work.

with the small amount of miles i pull my 5th wheel, i could easily live with a 3/4 ton gas. but when getting on the interstate and heading out west to ride sled, there is something to be said about setting the cruise control at 80-85mph and chugging on down the road effortlessly. i would have a hard time going back to a gas i think.

there are supposed to be tuners and deletes coming out for the ED's. maybe that will wake them up a bit. but if all they will get is 11 mph pulling a 4 place at 62-72 mph..............thats not too impressing to me when my 3/4 ton cummins will do the same. if i drove my pickup like a car, as my daily driver, maybe i could justify one. but when the tow pig comes out of the shop, she has something behind her 75% of the time. i dont think the ED is for me from what i have read. but that doesnt mean it isnt the perfect pickup for someone else.

this is what that guy was pulling

10891854_10205417287292269_3997720289757369054_n.jpg

Last edited:

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
That's a lot worse than what I'm getting. My trailer is about the same size but it's an inline so it's lower. And yeah when I'm going from Denver to vp I get about 11 but then coming back down the hill I get like 25 so it usually averages like 15 round trip. My motor has 25k miles on it though so maybe mine is all loosened up. The only bad thathing I have right now is since it's been cold my Def usage has been up. But I Guess that's part of using Def.

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
New to the game.

I just purchased a Laramie Limited Ecodiesel two weeks ago. I only have 650 miles on it but my overall average is 25.9 mpg. I am impressed considering it isn't broke in yet and we are still burning winter blend for fuel. My wife and I were looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesels and decided that the Ram was more comfortable to travel in for long trips. Plus, we will get more use out of the Ram for towing lighter loads. Tough to justify driving the Duramax with the Ecodiesel in the garage.

100_3135.jpg

Last edited:

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
It comes standard with the air suspension, which I love the ride. It rides better than our Toyota Venza through the canyon with the frost heaves. It has Natura leather seats which is definitely a higher grade of leather than the Laramie's. We were considering ordering a Laramie with the air suspension, but after driving both, the extra comfort of the Limited was worth the cost. Navigation, heated steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, spray in bedliner, push button start, remote start, and keyless entry/exit are all standard on the limited. This one was ordered with a moonroof and we are adding the integrated trailer brake controller.

Premium Features