• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Age Rails OR Stock Rails ?

06cfsnopro7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Rochester MN
I bent my stock 2015 153 rails playing in a creek bottom this year. I am debating on replacing them with ice age rails. Are the ice age rails that much stronger than stock? Are the ice age bomber rails worth the extra money over there standard rails? Give me your opinion on the ice age rails from your OWN experience.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I just put ice age rails on my 14.
I can tell u that the ice age weigh more than the stock rails.

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I bent my 162 rails the end of last season and had the same dilemma you are in. For the cost I ended up just putting stock Cat rails back on. With a slight discount the rails were $220 for the set and were already painted. By the time I added the HCR braces (standard on the 2015s) up front and new hyfax I was into them for less than $300 and didn't have to worry about having them powdercoated if I went with IceAge. It was the first set of Cat rails I had ever bent, and it was a sizeable impact so I was comfortable with replacing with stock again. If you have bent them before you might want to consider the IceAge option more heavily.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
When i spoke with ice age, they said if I'm not a jumper, the standard rails would be sufficient.
$350 + $100 for anodized.

Bomber rails are solid no cutouts.

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have never had a problem with the standard Ice Age Rails. If you are taking a lot of hits or drops, the bombers are the way to go, but you give up some weight in order to obtain the strength.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
I dont have a set for the proclimb but i did get a set of iceage rails last year for my 2010 m8. One thing i didnt like is how it uses all polaris hardware ex: sliders, end caps, adjuster bolts (which have the wrong offset so it destroys your plastice axle spacers). Also the rails werent drilled to accept the cat scratchers and the boogie wheel brackets didnt fit without some major filing. The rails themselfs are beefy and well build but they do corrode way quicker than stockers if they arn't coated. I feel the package could be better still.

C
Feb 28, 2011
FWIW

Went with bombers on my 141 Crossfire after tweaking a set of stockers. The weight difference was 620 grams, or about 1.35 lbs per rail.. I'm sure the newer stock designs are lighter, so the weight difference may be more significant, but I was happy with my choice to go with bombers. As stated in the post before, the rear axle adjusters aren't perfect, but they do work.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I haven't bent my stock rails, but have considered going with Ice Age rails for my Kmod conversion to get a rail with a better arc at the front of the rail than the stockers. I've never liked the way the Cat rails have an arc with a smaller radius than nearly all other rails. The Ice Age rails have a nice gradual arc, similar to the Polaris stockers.

I've always thought this simple (but expensive change) would really help the sled get on top the snow better. Anybody done this and noticed a difference in the sled's ability to "plane out" with rails other than the stockers?

Premium Features