• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Superchips for gas motors.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Does anybody know if there worth the money? They say with the cold air intake, and the super chip that it's around 45-50hp in the performance mode. I'm more lookin for the gas mileage, and was wondering how many MPG more you were getting with the chip? It's an 04 Chevy with the 5.3. I'm only getting around 12mpg around town right now. There selling point is 4-7mpg increase.

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
Does anybody know if there worth the money? They say with the cold air intake, and the super chip that it's around 45-50hp in the performance mode. I'm more lookin for the gas mileage, and was wondering how many MPG more you were getting with the chip? It's an 04 Chevy with the 5.3. I'm only getting around 12mpg around town right now. There selling point is 4-7mpg increase.

Wow, I get that mpg in my 04 Ford v-10 and that's even hauling the sleds
I've heard they are a waste of money the mpg gained doesn't offset the cost to pay for itself if ya know what I mean !

G
Nov 14, 2004
North Idaho

I agree..not worth the money for a gas engine. I've got a Superchips Cortex programmer for my 2002 Sierra 5.3. I use it so I can run 35" tires. I didn't notice any better gas mileage. I don't want to run premium either so I just leave it on the stock programming setting. Ran 92 octane once along with the performance programming and couldn't really tell a difference. I can see 45-50 hp and 4-7 mpg increase on a diesel though.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I don't have superchips but I have an Edge. I do notice a difference of about 50-60 miles to a tank if I'm on the highway. I have a F150. I like the shifting over the mushy stock shift.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i haven't tried a superchips but i have a bullydog that i ran for a bit on my 01 chevy 8.1. i didn't notice much for performance gains, but it did get me about one more MPG. my truck has the allison tranny though and you cant use the tranny adjustments on the chip for them so it might feel a little better on a truck with the smaller tranny to take advantage of the shift changes programmed in the chip. i dunno

i took it off and had my truck dyno tuned which gained me about 25hp at the wheels according to the dyno. then i added a Volant CAI which is what i thought felt like it gave the best seat of the pants gains.

but i agree with others 12 mpgs don't sound good on the little 5.3, i know mine and my bros 8.1s average between 10-12 mpg in the city. my buddy has an 03 5.3 and he claims he gets around 15 mpgs in town but he drives like a little old lady most of the time.

EDP

Lifetime Membership
On the 5.3 we have seen great results with the Diablo and the Edge Evo. Both are easy to use and easy to upgrade if needed.

Latley we have not seen good results from Hypertech for some reason. Use to be great on the Vortec motors.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
On the 5.3 we have seen great results with the Diablo and the Edge Evo. Both are easy to use and easy to upgrade if needed.

When you say great results, what do you mean? Better mileage?

The 12mpg is just running around town. It's closer to 14-15 on the highway. I forgot to mention I'm running 35" tires also. I'd really like to see 14-15 around town if at all possible.

Thanks for the info guys! :beer;:D

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
You'll never get that kind of mileage running 35's. Take off the 35's and put on 265's and I bet you see almost 20 on the hwy. I would actually say your getting GOOD mileage for a 1/2 ton on tires that big, most I've been around average 12 mpg everywhere.

Y
Nov 27, 2007
Virden, MB
I put a superchips and cat back exhuast on my 04 Ram 1500(hemi) and went from 15-16 mpg to 22mpg. I'm running the stock 275 60 20's(so 33's) on mine. Not sure which one improved it the most, as I did them at the same time. As for power, I didn't really notice anything, but changing the shift points really seemed to make a difference over the stock setting.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Well I just put one on yesterday, so I'll see what kind of mileage I get now. I did the air intake also. I'd be happy with 2 or 3.

Did you notice a difference in power? I have thought of doing the same with my f-150 but have heard it isnt worth the money. Also heard that the gains in mileage are psychological, meaning most people TRY to get better mileage with their new set up. Let us know how it worked. what chip and intake did you end up going with?

EDP

Lifetime Membership
When you say great results, what do you mean? Better mileage?

The 12mpg is just running around town. It's closer to 14-15 on the highway. I forgot to mention I'm running 35" tires also. I'd really like to see 14-15 around town if at all possible.

Thanks for the info guys! :beer;:D

Better performance and better mileage!!!

I seen you decided to put one on but what did you end up going with?

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Better performance and better mileage!!!

I seen you decided to put one on but what did you end up going with?

I ended up going with the Superchip flashpaq, and the Airaid cold air intake. I've got it on fuel mileage right now, so after I run a few tanks of gas through it I'll let you know on the mileage. If I don't notice any difference, I'll change it to performance mode. That's the setting the guy said I'd notice the biggest difference in power.

I didn't notice any difference in power with the setting I'm in right now.

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
My brother runs an 03 1500 chevy with a six inch lift and 35's. He bought it off of me about 3 years ago. I put a superchips in it right after I got it. I didn't really notice much HP gain, it did make the tranny shift a lot better though, and that does help with some seat of the pants feel i would say. You can also pull more RPM's, which at first i was kinda worried about, but my brother has about 115,000 miles on it now with zero engine trouble to date...so maybe it's no big deal...not sure. Had a hypertech that worked really well on my 98 5.7 vortech, not sure on the newer generations gassers. I've heard guy's saying that blackbear and westers mail in tunes are pretty good. That's just hear say though. My opinion is do headers, intake, and exhaust....even if you don't gain much hp you'll sound like your going faster, hahah. :cool::beer;

Premium Features