• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chevy Brake Controller

tjrbrady

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Piedmont, SD
Does antone think that the brake controller on the new chevys (07-09) is weak even when it is turned all the way up?

Z
Feb 5, 2008
Jamestown ND
We haven't had any complaints yet at our dealership. Feel free to give us a call and speak with our service advisors or myself (Jeff) at Don Wilhelm Inc. 1-800-450-2950 We can look into if there are any bulletins that pertain to your symptoms.

tjrbrady

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Piedmont, SD
it works well on both my enclosed and 4 place snowmobile trailers, but both of my flatbed trailers that I use for work they are far from being able to stop them. Even if the trailer is empty is won't lock them up. It really suck because I am Afraid of messing up my brakes on the truck. I also have an '02, 04, and 05 all with aftermarket controllers and they will about put you through the windshield.

Maybe the drum brakes on your trailers need to be adjusted. One way to check is get a trailer plug tester or test light and stick in in your plug then hit the brake. If the Brake light on it lights up brightly it's getting it's 12+ volts and it's not your truck. If it's dim and it's turned all the way up it's your truck. It's more than likely that the star wheel adjusters inside (circa 1970's Chevy Pickup & yes your dealing with drum brakes here) are frozen with rust and grime. The other thing that could be happening is the magnets are trashed or the drums which is the thick metal that activates the magnets are scored badly. This scoring would not be where the brake pads contact the drum but rather the area that the magnet is activated by. Basically I'd advise you guys to go get your trailer brakes checked out unless you want to play with yourself. They sell complete brake kits and drums for cheap that unbolt at the backing plate. There is no worry of mixing the two wires. The power comes in one side and puts it through the magnet to ground.

I hope this helps some of you. Please fix your trailer so that you do not have a brake failure. ;)

Premium Features