• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

250SX(300) VS 300XC?

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I think I am going back to the smoker side. I miss the ring ding. 250SX with 300cc kit or 300xc? If someone has a good way to significantly reduce vibes on a CR500 id go that route, stock cr500 my carpal tunnel cant take it. Will be used only for snow. If anyone wants an extemely well taken care of 17 yz450f...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think I am going back to the smoker side. I miss the ring ding. 250SX with 300cc kit or 300xc? If someone has a good way to significantly reduce vibes on a CR500 id go that route, stock cr500 my carpal tunnel cant take it. Will be used only for snow. If anyone wants an extemely well taken care of 17 yz450f...

Never ridden a 250sx with 300 kit.
But.
I guess i rode a 300xc with all the snowbike mods. (S3 head, sx ignition, smartcarb, scalvini pipe etc.)

Pretty much half the actual trackspeed compared to a 14 yz450f. (In deep snow)

Only comparison I‘ve done.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Mach Chickens 300xc was right next to 16 fe501 raze, both on Yeti kits, in all conditions, and pulled away in tight trees. We swapped bikes same result. Might help that we both weigh like 145lbs.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Mach Chickens 300xc was right next to 16 fe501 raze, both on Yeti kits, in all conditions, and pulled away in tight trees. We swapped bikes same result. Might help that we both weigh like 145lbs.

I Am 220#.............

Buy one and know for yourself?
It’s only money......

My brother is 165# (it was his 300xc) and niether of us will go back to a 300.

They simply can’t do the deed. Fwiw

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Guessing only, but figure the heavier 300 crack would help with really slow tight trees? And then 6th gear comes in handy on trails.

250 conversion should rev faster, and guess be equal once wound up. But might require more clutch feather at tractor slow.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I can't see it making a whole hill of beans difference for the effort. Ide just go the husky 300. Most fun snowbike I have rode. Slightly lighter than the Ktm. I would save money on the cylinder and get a good pipe, compression, bigger carb. Have seen 70hp on the pre 16 300 with those mods on a stock cylinder.

Plus with the sx you're gonna want e start, bigger tank, 6th anyhow, you're your spending a pile extra money to end up at the same place.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Sx is a great snow bike out of the box.. They don't need electric start. The ratios are great except on the road.. Hint don't ride the road. The sx cranks vib more at low rpm and smooth out higher. The xc and w cranks are the opposite. Not a huge difference though. Flywheel mass means nothing on a 2 stroke snow bike unless you want the bigger one for watts. You must give them plenty of air and keep the carb warm or they have half the track speed of a 4 stroke when it gets deep. I'd take either over a 450. Amazing deals can be found on sx but never on xc.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I can't see it making a whole hill of beans difference for the effort. Ide just go the husky 300. Most fun snowbike I have rode. Slightly lighter than the Ktm. I would save money on the cylinder and get a good pipe, compression, bigger carb. Have seen 70hp on the pre 16 300 with those mods on a stock cylinder.

Plus with the sx you're gonna want e start, bigger tank, 6th anyhow, you're your spending a pile extra money to end up at the same place.

Xc for the 6 speed and estart.

The 70hp sounds great.
Any proof? ?
Torque?

Rev range over 50hp?

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
XCW wins!

I think I'll be getting yet another XCW this summer to keep the two KTMs company in my garage and on the trail. Unlike Chris, I don't have the unlimited funds needed to keep three to four bikes on just the snow alone, my kids are all entering, or are in college. You'll see what I mean when the young gun's tuition bill comes in. :clock:

I choose the XCWs...a slight compromise for snow but better for our terrain and riding style in the dirt. An all round better choice when you need the four season solution here out east...perhaps not the mountains though, where the SX would provide the extra pep?

My only dilemma now is, Husky or KTM? We love our 2008 xcws...still on the same pistons.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
TE300 on a Timbersled LT vs a FC450 on a 129 CMX. I pulled that maneuver a couple times that day against that bike. I do have an S3 head, Lectron, and a FMF Factory pipe, and a couple inches more track on the ground, but it was also my first day on a snowbike. The 300 can hang if the rider and bike are familiar with each other.

https://youtu.be/jcgEC-C4VWA?t=2m6s

Nonetheless, I'm planning on buying that FC450 to put on my kit. Took a spin on a couple 450s that day, I liked how much more refined they felt, and I like fuel injection. Then I can keep my TE set up for dirt. If I were to do anything else, I'd go with either a TX or XC. Having 2nd and 3rd closer together (than on the TE) would make it easier to keep it on the pipe. Judicious use of the clutch worked pretty well for me though.

B
My BIL got this 2008 KTM 300 XC-W and is planning on putting the Camso DTS 129 kit on it this fall, well, I'll be putting it on.

I got to ride the bike on Sunday and I will say, the motor is all there and at least for me, will have no problem getting it on on the snow with the kit as it has more than enough power for me. He is a bigger guy at 240 lbs but already he loves the bike on the dirt as it is lighter and feels lighter than my Beta 500 RR-S.

P1130918.jpg 0528181007.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My BIL got this 2008 KTM 300 XC-W and is planning on putting the Camso DTS 129 kit on it this fall, well, I'll be putting it on.

I got to ride the bike on Sunday and I will say, the motor is all there and at least for me, will have no problem getting it on on the snow with the kit as it has more than enough power for me. He is a bigger guy at 240 lbs but already he loves the bike on the dirt as it is lighter and feels lighter than my Beta 500 RR-S.

Ktm 300’s are magic on dirt.

Swap the monster tank off that thing and it will feel like a mountain bike. :)

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I ran a Timbersled LT on my 2011 300 XC 6 speed for a season.

I would rather have the SX 5 speed for snow, other than the road. Your top speed will be like 35 ish MPH.

6 speed is faster top speed but a little gappy. I wouldn't want a W myself.

E start is nice on the XC.

I did the Pro Circuit pipe, 300 SX CDI box, Shorty muffler, and had Slavens cut the head. Also run the red PV spring with the screw flush. Runs great and added a nice bump in power. About 5 hp on the dyno.

I went back to a sled but if I do another snowbike, I will go back to 4T. I thought my 300 ran pretty inconsistent and you have to run it hard compared to a 450 or 500.

That being said though, if your on your game, it runs with a 450 no problem. Rode with a bunch of them and didn't see much difference (which makes sense since my 09 450R Honda actually made 2 less hp on the dyno than my 300 and most of the 450s are +/- 2 hp of my 300).

Premium Features