• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 2018 SilberTurbo - negative review

M
Mar 30, 2018
Hello all.

I want to share my experience with SilberTurbo.

I bought new sled Summit X 850 165 specially for SilberTurbo kit. My friend in Chicago helped me to order brand bew kit directly from Silber Turbo site. At the same time I sent ECU from my sled to Justin Silber to reflash it for turbo kit as he requested. I live in Russia and shipping takes usually 2 weeks. While ECU where reflashed and returned back we installed turbo kit to the new sled with guys who are experienced in snowmobiles and turbo and were waited for ECU coming...

Timeline:
08 Nov 2017 - turbokit was paid
17 Jan 2018 - the first run run on a flat near garage

Up to this point everything went according to the plan. And I dreamed to make my first ride on this turbosled and waited for fresh powder.

But on the 1st Feb 2018 Bret Rassmussen came to Russia to Priiskovy and I got a chance to give my sled to Mr Bret and get some feedback (of course a positive).

That was a great fail. My friends who organized Brat’s trip expressed me a lot of negativity. Because silber turbo didn’t run. RPM in a full throtle wasn’t higher than 6500 and sled was worse than with learning key. Bret sweated with Silverturbo all day and asked not to give him this **** anymore.

Nobody knows what were happening with turbokit taht day and what is the problem. The fuel was the best we ccould get in Russia. And etc.

First of all I contacted with Justin and he asked me if it possible to send ECU back to USA again. Ok, no problem Justin. I have more than one sled and it is Ok for me to make turbo run in the end of season. In a few weeks Justin get my ECU and dissapeared for a week. Didn’t answer email and phone. Time passed to the muddle of March. And there were no reply still. Finally I tired to enduring and made a claim to SilverTurbo in PayPal. Jonh revealed immediately! He said that will not return the money back and if we do not withdraw the claim he will not return us the ECU. Paypal is cancelled our refund request and Justin decided to teach us a lesson. And still pretends that no no ECU knows.

Finally I have season sucked. My Ecu is held as hostage by Justin.

The main conclusions are:

1. Justin with his Silber Turbo doesn’t care about hiss customers. He loves cash only
2. In case of difficulties with the turbo kit, Justin will arrange you a real hell. But on the contrary should help in every possible way.

Silber Turbo is the worst client experience I ever had. And Justin has the talent of a swindler.

I do not recommend you to buy Silver Turbo. It is not an easy ride as advertised. I waste all season to make turbo rub but still on the same place. In USA or Canada you will lost half of season thanks to fast delivery.

Keep you updated :popcorn:

PS guys I need you help and advice how to make moneyback!

Last edited:

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
I too have had negative experiences with Justin. This needs to be posted in the General or Mountain riding section.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I would suggest you guys stick to stock sleds. Turbos are for guys who have secondary sleds who don't get pissed when their turbo doesn't run. These guys who say they run flawless and have zero issues are one of three types of people. 1. They are like the two guys on here that work and sell for the turbo companies, Who say they run flawless with zero issues. 2. They are the type of guy that is too embarrassed to say he spent all this money for something that hardly works 3. They ride 4 times a year with their wife on the trail and their say their turbo runs flawless because it makes that cool fluttering sound every time they let off the throttle. 99.9% of people shouldn't be riding turbos anyway. Your stock sled is probably way more than you can handle. And last but not least, I especially would suggest buying something 12,000 miles away who does zero testing in your area is even more naive then thinking your turbo is going to be pull and go. My turbo sled has been broken more than it ran this season. You don't see me crying on here bashing the company who made it. :face-icon-small-dis

L
Mar 8, 2008
To answer Chadly it maybe naive to think a turbokit will be pull and go but this is what Silber have advertised their kit as. I got two kits from Silber this season and put one on one of my sleds but the kit does not work because as soon as the sled is at running temperature and boost comes on it goes lean and starts to detonate(no it is not overreving) and we are running 50/50 mix of pumpgas and 110octane on the 3 psi spring(close to sea level)

So okay we got an issue not a big deal we contact Silber to get help to figure this out and is basically being told there is no issue with the turbo kit it must be a sled issue. I got a new stock ecu and the sled runs flawless and to make a long story short Silber have no interest in helping us make these kits run as advertised.
I have been in the sled business for close to 20 years and going foreward im not dealing with Silber anymore because they have made it quite clear they are not really standing behind the product they advertise and sell.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I would suggest you guys stick to stock sleds. Turbos are for guys who have secondary sleds who don't get pissed when their turbo doesn't run. These guys who say they run flawless and have zero issues are one of three types of people. 1. They are like the two guys on here that work and sell for the turbo companies, Who say they run flawless with zero issues. 2. They are the type of guy that is too embarrassed to say he spent all this money for something that hardly works 3. They ride 4 times a year with their wife on the trail and their say their turbo runs flawless because it makes that cool fluttering sound every time they let off the throttle. 99.9% of people shouldn't be riding turbos anyway. Your stock sled is probably way more than you can handle. And last but not least, I especially would suggest buying something 12,000 miles away who does zero testing in your area is even more naive then thinking your turbo is going to be pull and go. My turbo sled has been broken more than it ran this season. You don't see me crying on here bashing the company who made it. :face-icon-small-dis

I would suggest you change something, your brand of turbo, brand of sled, mechanic or maybe all three.. I do not sell turbos, my wife does not ride sleds, I do not ride trails other than to get to the alpine, and I have put on thousands of pull and go, trouble free turbo miles since 2011..
Maybe I'm just lucky!!!

However the above story seems to be more consistent with Silber installs than any other brand these days.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Chadly bought an mpi. My buddy has one and I'm not a fan so there should be another choice or two.

#4. Somebody bought a turbo that doesn't run right so they tell people none of them run right to make themselves feel better for buying the wrong turbo.

#5. This guys turbo actually runs flawless minus doo crappy venting so hoses and wiring were melting and a pinhole in a coolant hose. That is really minor with a turbo so yes, flawless, never bogged once. 7900 all day. First one I ever had that never bogged a time or two.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have run multiple turbos. I have accepted that they are all a pain in the ***. My MPI has run great a few rides this season. I also ride a lot more than most people on this forum and ride harder than most people. Nobody is riding a turbo as much as I ride and doesn't have problems. And for the guys like you Turboless that live in your little perfect turbo worlds, explain to me that if turbos are so perfect and awesome, why I have I never met a single sponsored rider (who gets everything for free including turbos) Who rides a turbo every day? You're not going to find it because the sleds take way more maintenance and tinkering to keep running. Any one of these companies could send me their turbo for free and I am always going to keep an NA sled for WHEN (not if) the turbo breaks down. I love how everyone criticizes me for telling people don't buy a turbo unless you have another sled. Let alone the fact I would say most of you don't even need a turbo.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I have run multiple turbos. I have accepted that they are all a pain in the ***. My MPI has run great a few rides this season. I also ride a lot more than most people on this forum and ride harder than most people. Nobody is riding a turbo as much as I ride and doesn't have problems. And for the guys like you Turboless that live in your little perfect turbo worlds, explain to me that if turbos are so perfect and awesome, why I have I never met a single sponsored rider (who gets everything for free including turbos) Who rides a turbo every day? You're not going to find it because the sleds take way more maintenance and tinkering to keep running. Any one of these companies could send me their turbo for free and I am always going to keep an NA sled for WHEN (not if) the turbo breaks down. I love how everyone criticizes me for telling people don't buy a turbo unless you have another sled. Let alone the fact I would say most of you don't even need a turbo.

Chadly is spot on, especially the 99.9% of us don't and shouldn't have a turbo. I rode a turbo for 2 full seasons and never rode it as good as a na sled...period. I broke more **** in those two seasons being out of control and was stuck more. Switched back to a na sled and ride it in places I struggled on a turbo, a lot to be said about being in control and riding precision lines in steep, treed terrain. Turbos are exciting and certainly will get you up the mountain.
IMO

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

Yep nobody rides as hard as you. I just blew through 12 gallon the other day playing in the trees not trail riding with my wife. I only put a 1000 miles on a year now because I have a little one so I don't ride as hard as I used to but I will play on stuff most don't. I am not much for shutting things down or letting things cool off. I have rode turboed for 20 years exactly and this one has been flawless. I don't have an extra sled but I could steal my wife's or buddy's sled if needed. Maybe not everyone has that luck. My experience is mostly bad installs. Not taking enough time. I have had a bad pin on a boondockers box and had to fight with it until I figured it out. I haven't been immune to problems but I either figured it out or knew people that could figure it out. This turbo has been flawless. Get over it. Could have problems tomorrow. It's a 2 stroke but as of now it is hands down flawless and best one I ever had and yes I got more miles on turboed than you ever thought of. Just because you have troubles or have bought some crappy used turbo from tony or Bret doesn't mean somebody else stuff doesn't run.
Just keep hanging with 1500 psi and telling yourself it's because you ride so hard. Have a nice day.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Yep nobody rides as hard as you. I just blew through 12 gallon the other day playing in the trees not trail riding with my wife. I only put a 1000 miles on a year now because I have a little one so I don't ride as hard as I used to but I will play on stuff most don't. I am not much for shutting things down or letting things cool off. I have rode turboed for 20 years exactly and this one has been flawless. I don't have an extra sled but I could steal my wife's or buddy's sled if needed. Maybe not everyone has that luck. My experience is mostly bad installs. Not taking enough time. I have had a bad pin on a boondockers box and had to fight with it until I figured it out. I haven't been immune to problems but I either figured it out or knew people that could figure it out. This turbo has been flawless. Get over it. Could have problems tomorrow. It's a 2 stroke but as of now it is hands down flawless and best one I ever had and yes I got more miles on turboed than you ever thought of. Just because you have troubles or have bought some crappy used turbo from tony or Bret doesn't mean somebody else stuff doesn't run.
Just keep hanging with 1500 psi and telling yourself it's because you ride so hard. Have a nice day.

You're my hero. Some day I'll burn twelve gallons in a day. Where in Montana do you ride? I'll come out there next year and you can show me how to burn 12 gallons riding trees! I'll even bring the notorious 1500psi. He could use some of your riding lessons too!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Be glad to take you. Welcome any time. 15 mile trail ride in and 15 out on the crappiest trail ever. Full tank and 3.3 doo jug. Out of gas when hit trailer. Haven't filled it but every other time it was beeping like that it was 8.8 or 9 gallons.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Everyone knows that Silber customer service is crappy. There tune is suppose to be so good and flawless until u have a problem. Then u are sh*t out of luck unless u can figure it out or someone on here can.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Be glad to take you. Welcome any time. 15 mile trail ride in and 15 out on the crappiest trail ever. Full tank and 3.3 doo jug. Out of gas when hit trailer. Haven't filled it but every other time it was beeping like that it was 8.8 or 9 gallons.

You just proved my point Terry. I ride 50 times a year and only put about 900 miles on my sleds. If I rode 30 miles of trails to ride every time that's 1500 miles of trails. I'll come ride with you next year. Maybe I can show you a short cut so you don't have to burn 8 gallons of gas to ride trees :eyebrows:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ok so no trail for you to get somewhere. Never been anywhere you could do that. Trail mileage will vary depending where you are at. Even if you go to Cooke you are going to ride 1 mile of trail. You must get dropped in by chopper. So do you ride 900 miles a year or do you have 1800 in 2 sleds? Riding 50 times at 900 is not real stellar. Stuck, long lunch or? 38 miles at Cooke in 4 hrs and out of gas. Sorry but rode probably 3 each way. I guess I don't see how you proved your point. Maybe I have to ride more trail to get somewhere and obviously not getting railed on as hard on trail.in some ways it's harder because I'm pounding it through moguls. The point is mine has been flawless. I do look everything over before I go.

By the way it doesn't take 8 gallons to go 30 miles. Maybe 2.5 or 3 on trail. I would love to see your shortcut because there aren't any. I know all the short cuts and you won't make any time up but you will burn fuel.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hello all.

I want to share my experience with SilberTurbo.

I bought new sled Summit X 850 165 specially for SilberTurbo kit. My friend in Chicago helped me to order brand bew kit directly from Silber Turbo site. At the same time I sent ECU from my sled to Justin Silber to reflash it for turbo kit as he requested. I live in Russia and shipping takes usually 2 weeks. While ECU where reflashed and returned back we installed turbo kit to the new sled with guys who are experienced in snowmobiles and turbo and were waited for ECU coming...

Timeline:
08 Nov 2017 - turbokit was paid
17 Jan 2018 - the first run run on a flat near garage

Up to this point everything went according to the plan. And I dreamed to make my first ride on this turbosled and waited for fresh powder.

But on the 1st Feb 2018 Bret Rassmussen came to Russia to Priiskovy and I got a chance to give my sled to Mr Bret and get some feedback (of course a positive).

That was a great fail. My friends who organized Brat’s trip expressed me a lot of negativity. Because silber turbo didn’t run. RPM in a full throtle wasn’t higher than 6500 and sled was worse than with learning key. Bret sweated with Silverturbo all day and asked not to give him this **** anymore.

Nobody knows what were happening with turbokit taht day and what is the problem. The fuel was the best we ccould get in Russia. And etc.

First of all I contacted with Justin and he asked me if it possible to send ECU back to USA again. Ok, no problem Justin. I have more than one sled and it is Ok for me to make turbo run in the end of season. In a few weeks Justin get my ECU and dissapeared for a week. Didn’t answer email and phone. Time passed to the muddle of March. And there were no reply still. Finally I tired to enduring and made a claim to SilverTurbo in PayPal. Jonh revealed immediately! He said that will not return the money back and if we do not withdraw the claim he will not return us the ECU. Paypal is cancelled our refund request and Justin decided to teach us a lesson. And still pretends that no no ECU knows.

Finally I have season sucked. My Ecu is held as hostage by Justin.

The main conclusions are:

1. Justin with his Silber Turbo doesn’t care about hiss customers. He loves cash only
2. In case of difficulties with the turbo kit, Justin will arrange you a real hell. But on the contrary should help in every possible way.

Silber Turbo is the worst client experience I ever had. And Justin has the talent of a swindler.

I do not recommend you to buy Silver Turbo. It is not an easy ride as advertised. I waste all season to make turbo rub but still on the same place. In USA or Canada you will lost half of season thanks to fast delivery.

Keep you updated :popcorn:

PS guys I need you help and advice how to make moneyback!

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I work for Silber, and am happy to help you. I'll get in touch with Justin and follow up here.

It has been extremely challenging doing business internationally as we do not have any dealers we can refer a customer to if there is a problem. There are a lot of variables that can create an ill running turbo sled, most of which have to do with a small thing overlooked during install or a problem that would have surfaced with/without the turbo. I can say the problem you describe is one I've never heard of (WOT 6,500 RPM). Very strange indeed.

Justin wasn't around much in March as he was building/testing the Cat kit. This is why my name, number is listed on the site as well as others.

That said, you do bring up a good point - we should communicate with our customers better when we are in the field, and let them know who to contact if there are troubles.

I will follow up!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
To answer Chadly it maybe naive to think a turbokit will be pull and go but this is what Silber have advertised their kit as. I got two kits from Silber this season and put one on one of my sleds but the kit does not work because as soon as the sled is at running temperature and boost comes on it goes lean and starts to detonate(no it is not overreving) and we are running 50/50 mix of pumpgas and 110octane on the 3 psi spring(close to sea level)

So okay we got an issue not a big deal we contact Silber to get help to figure this out and is basically being told there is no issue with the turbo kit it must be a sled issue. I got a new stock ecu and the sled runs flawless and to make a long story short Silber have no interest in helping us make these kits run as advertised.
I have been in the sled business for close to 20 years and going foreward im not dealing with Silber anymore because they have made it quite clear they are not really standing behind the product they advertise and sell.

I personally corresponded with you over this problem. Again, it is incredibly difficult to diagnose a problem with no video, no in person time with the sled, and no dealer we can refer you to.

We did not give up, we asked for you to send your ECU in. I do not know what came of that process as I am a remote employee of the company (I'm in Jackson).

The upside is we have a remote reflash in the works, as well as remote diagnostics. Internationally, things are tricky for us as we cannot sit down with the sled and figure out exactly what is going on. Worth noting, both of these "negative reviews" pertain to an international customer, which constitutes and incredibly low volume of sales. Again, not being able to point a customer to a dealer or look at it ourselves is a tough proposition and something we are weighing for the future.

Again, as easy as our install may be, there is still a chance something goes wrong during the install. Sometimes something is off with the sled that really only shows up during boost. Sometimes we can diagnose this based off symptoms. Other times we need a dealer or one of us to really see it up close and personal to figure this out. Internationally, this isn't possible. Like a doctor trying to diagnose an illness over the intenet...it can be challenging to say the least.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I do love the back and forth with Terry and Chad. Nothing like talking rider ability in the web ;)

Love it too, grab a beer , sit back and enjoy the show! I sparred a bit with 1500 psi a couple years ago and we have become friends. Funny how things work out, opinionated peeps are fun.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just spoke with Justin pertaining to the original poster's situation. From our end here is what happened....

User received kit and ECU. User followed up noting he was having problems, Justin could not diagnose remotely as it was a very strange issue, something we had never seen before. After a few ideas, the only thing we can do at that point is ask for the ECU and run our own diagnostics. Again we see this being a pain, one reason all of our premiere dealers in the US have the ability for us to dial into a sled remotely if need be. Internationally this isn't a possibility unfortunately though we do have a solution in the works (its slick but I don't want to spill the beans!)

In any case, the user sent his ECU back, THEN filed a claim with paypal to refund the entire amount of the kit without ever talking to us. In essence he was trying to get his money back and keep the kit. Justin held the customer's ECU during this time while Paypal was holding the funds.

Simply, if we are going to consider a refund, we do ask the kit be sent back to us. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too, as they say...

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Just spoke with Justin pertaining to the original poster's situation. From our end here is what happened....

In any case, the user sent his ECU back, THEN filed a claim with paypal to refund the entire amount of the kit without ever talking to us. In essence he was trying to get his money back and keep the kit. Justin held the customer's ECU during this time while Paypal was holding the funds.

So, who should we believe?
Your (Justins) story doesn't add up, why should he make a refund claim if he had all the parts, he says he made a claim after Justin (and whole company) disappered from face of earth after recieved his ECU.

"First of all I contacted with Justin and he asked me if it possible to send ECU back to USA again. Ok, no problem Justin. I have more than one sled and it is Ok for me to make turbo run in the end of season. In a few weeks Justin get my ECU and dissapeared for a week. Didn’t answer email and phone. Time passed to the muddle of March. And there were no reply still. Finally I tired to enduring and made a claim to SilverTurbo in PayPal. Jonh revealed immediately! He said that will not return the money back and if we do not withdraw the claim he will not return us the ECU. Paypal is cancelled our refund request and Justin decided to teach us a lesson. And still pretends that no no ECU knows."

In my book it stinks, asking for ECU while knowing fully he will be away testing and have no possibility to investigate customers problem and delay his use of sled even further and not communicating what so ever.

I expect his ecu is diagnozed and sent back a while ago since the paypal claim no longer exist.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

Premium Features