• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Happened?

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I noticed this year that I am finding snowbike tracks in terrain that I never would expect. What happened? These guys must have figured something out. The first track I ran across, I thought had to be a snow boarder going down the hill. Cut his track a few times and realized it was a bike that had been going up.

Maybe I am getting old but I was looking for a spot to drop into a bowl last week and got to a point where I had to get out of the trees and head back up because there was no way down. The trees were thick and the terrain was way steeper than I wanted bite off. Sure enough, went a few yards and ran into a snowbike track that was coming out of the bottom. I stopped and hiked around a little to get a look at their lines .... I was beyond impressed.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
they can zig zag on about anything the only limit is strait up steep pulls with no side hill exits.
ride with one LT kit on ktm 500 and it does well.

why are you not out riding today Chris?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Couple of buddies ride snow bikes in the trees there is no way a sled can go the places they do, side Hilling there just sitting on the seat making it look so easy. When we go down very steep tree hills the bike lead the way.. in deep snow like 4' all they need is one sled track and they climb some hills that I thought they never would be able to..

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I don't think anything "happened" other than more people are riding snowbikes. It is a whole different approach and you can go some places that are awesome! The thing I like is being able to ride all day in about a 1 square mile area that I have never been in before and having a blast. Also, the ability to find un-tracked snow is always an option.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I was beyond impressed.

I hate to admit it but I'd have to agree...... LOL

I'm not a biker & won't likely jump on the conversion kit bandwagon but the 1 ski machine is certainly more conducive to the tree type riding that I like to do than my Pro.

That said, the fact that you currently have to mod. the heck out of a bike to make it into a suitable candidate for use on the snow is absurd - IMO

If a mass produced machine can be offered to the public based off of the innovations of the twin 2 stroke / CVT set up that the dude over in the snowbike section is building, there may be little reason for me to ride on 2 skis again.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I don't think anything "happened" other than more people are riding snowbikes. It is a whole different approach and you can go some places that are awesome! The thing I like is being able to ride all day in about a 1 square mile area that I have never been in before and having a blast. Also, the ability to find un-tracked snow is always an option.

This. Untracked snow because a sled don't fit. Most common comment I get from people after there first ride

Second most common is ease of riding. Sit and wiggle the butt.

I have one customers with freshly built sled take his first snowbike ride this year on a TS bike and liked it. A month later, a ride on a Yeti had him list the sled for sale.

Things are changin'. 'Cause it's fun, different, in the snow with no bugs and a the opportunity of a huge cross sport (sledder's and biker's) demographic.

That CVT build on the snowbike section has me looking for a bike frame to use an old Phazer nobody rides anymore.
IMO a modern Snowhawk can not be too far away.

Rumour around here is Cat will have their traditional (or you could call it old school soon,,, maybe) snowbike out in a few weeks for demo.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
they can zig zag on about anything the only limit is strait up steep pulls with no side hill exits.
ride with one LT kit on ktm 500 and it does well.

why are you not out riding today Chris?

Riding tomorrow man - you?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Anybody remember when snowboards came onto the scene? A single ski?! Deja vu all over again.

There are a lot of drawbacks to snowbikes (hp, clutching, ride height, wind protection, mileage, volume, etc.). Snowbikes won't replace sleds, just like snowboards didn't replace 2 skis.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I believe Polaris acquired Timbersled for a good reason. $.02 :face-icon-small-cool

Beat me to it!!

I was just getting ready to say...I believe there is a reason that Polaris has purchased Timbersled.

They see the potential in the market for guys like me that have been dirt biking their whole lives to cross over to the snow because it expands their riding seasons and areas.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't have to buy a bike AND a kit, both at the same cost, for the combined cost of a new sled.

The next couple years are going to be interesting with Polaris dabbling in the market.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
They're very popular around here. A guy can almost get himself into an area where a sled shouldn't be following a snow bike track. But sometimes that's the fun in the challenge.

I've road a few and they are fun and super easy to go places but its a different type of fun. I wont be selling my sled any time soon to buy a snow bike that's for sure.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
They're very popular around here. A guy can almost get himself into an area where a sled shouldn't be following a snow bike track. But sometimes that's the fun in the challenge.

I've road a few and they are fun and super easy to go places but its a different type of fun. I wont be selling my sled any time soon to buy a snow bike that's for sure.

yep apples and oranges for sure.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
did cat lake and red mountain last week.

your not going to west again?

West again :) Our group has a buddy in it that took a job as a ranch hand up around Cabarton. He is alone all week, so we have been riding up there almost every week now - helping him get through a lonely winter. We stay way down on the south end so some fun holes to play in. Thunderbolt - all these years and have never ridden it, but I have heard the riding is awesome up there.

Safe travels Shane -

--Chris

Premium Features