• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Float 2 vs float x evol

E
Jun 22, 2014
Hey fellas, so I just picked up a 2013pc and was reading up a lot on the stock float 2's. I used to race quads and I still have my left over suspension, that being float x Evols. Iv read here that the float 2s measure up eye to eye to 17" which is the exact same length as my Evols. Since I have them laying around would it be worth it to throw on? Pros cons? I'm not new to sledding but just got into mountain sledding last year

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I put a set on my 2014 sled and I really like them. I couldn't quite get the balance between chassis roll and bump compliance right with the stockers. Could have gotten them better with a re-valve, but I already had the evol Xs bought and setup for the sled. The adjustments make it nice for changing snow conditions or the type of riding you want to do for the day.

First thing you are going to want to do is call Fox with the number that is on your shock to see what the actual specs of your Evol Xs are. I got mine out of the swap meet on here and they were supposed to fit an M-series chassis. When I got them, I called Fox with the number on the shock to confirm and they told me they were not specifically for an M-series sled because they were too short. The ones I got are 17.3" eye to eye. Proclimb chassis spec is 17.1" eye to eye so they are actually 0.2" too long, but the stroke is also 0.2" longer than the 5.1" stroke spec (verify this number, not 100% sure that it is right) so they bottom out at the correct point for the Proclimb chassis. I was going to put in a short spacer to get them right on the money for the length, but I never got around to making them. Plus the extra length is helpful when assembling/disassembling the shock. My BDX spindles just touch the bottom casting of the shock if the bars are fully turned one way with the skis off the ground. I don't think they would touch if I had spacers in because they won't touch at full turn when the skis are on the snow.

I called Carver's and got valve setups for the Proclimb chassis with my weight and riding style and installed them. This was a pretty critical thing to do since I really had no idea what the valving that was in the shocks was for. You are most likely going to want to do the same since your quad probably had different geometry than your sled does. You don't get great benefits from any shock if it is not setup properly.

The last thing you will need to check is that the spacers in the ends of the shock have the correct width and bolt diameter for the sled. I had to get different ones that were thinner, and since mine is a 2014 it also had the smaller 8mm bolts instead of the 10mm used on the 12s and 13s.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
Like the other post said the PC shocks are a little longer so you could try running them @ 17" or if you have a lathe you can cut the seal head a bit to get more stroke or change the internal spring to lengthen it a bit. and of course youll need to revalve the shocks as well.

Premium Features