• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-85 for Proclimb?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I have a clutch situation and was interested in any advice from anyone with experience putting a P-85 Polaris clutch on a cat. 2010 M8 blew the spider apart so I will be hunting up a cat clutch for it or am considering the FTX mod to get a P-85. Actual thinking was to put the P-85 on my '14 Proclimb and pass the proclimb primary over to the 2010 (this is the sled my son's ride). Probably cost about 500.00 extra but would then have a rebuildable clutch v.s. the throwaway cat clutch and I do plan to keep the old 2010 for quite a while as the back up sled for sons (and hopefully daughter if she'll put down the ipad!). Anyone have any positive or negative experience with the P-85 on the proclimb/M8s?

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I had it on my pc 2012. 901 big bore etc. I would do it again. Expensive yes, but not need to worry about cracked spider.

Daltech

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It's all positive. All the P85s that I have sold or installed I get a call or email back in a few days with big thanks. We keep them in stock and ready to go.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
P-85

What does it take to put a P-85 on a Proclimb?
Clutch machined?
Crank machined?
Different belt?
What does it cost and who does the work?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I'm not the guru on this but it looks like Fastrax motorsports (ftxmotorsports) machines the clutch to fit the cat crank. Without calibration (weights/spring) it's in the 880.00 range and pushing 1000.00 calibrated so approx twice what a new cat clutch would cost at most dealers. Racin' station keeps them on hand. I'm not a fan of cat clutches so this is a way to start the move away from the most obvious weakness on the Proclimb imo.

Thanks to racin station and Daltech for the feedback.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
The difference in performance alone is pretty amazing from what I saw. Durability enhancement.... not for me, but the ability to rebuild is pretty key. I seized a few rollers in West Yellowstone this April, and was back up and running in less than a half a day, for way less than the cost of a new cat primary.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Your only fixing half the problem IMHO. The secondary is junk also. Your belt and secondary clutch heat will still be high.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Your only fixing half the problem IMHO. The secondary is junk also. Your belt and secondary clutch heat will still be high.

I agree, and the Team tied does not cure your problems either. It gets hot too, and parts wear out on it too over time like inside rollers and the float plug.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I agree.
Team and new Arctic secondaries are absolute garbage.
Team sells a clutch for $399 and then "suggests" you try a different spring and a few different helix's.......for another $300+.
Then the clutch wears out in 10 rides and you have to buy another one. Add on a few $200 belts, ruined rides, frustration and Team is laughing at all the sledders behind their back! On their way to the bank of course. The sledder is out over a grand. Brutal.
Arctic belts are over $200 and you have to buy a new "big fin" clutch. Absolute joke.
How about taking all those millions Team and Arctic make from needless clutch, helix and belt sales and coming up with something that works? It's not that hard, really it isn't.
I guess it's like why new vehicles struggle to get 14 mpg nowadays. It's all about the almighty dollar I suppose.
I wonder if I will get "disappeared" for exposing this clutch conspiracy now?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho

I guess my thought was fixing half the problem was at least a start. I don't even know if the primary is half the problem...always suspected the secondary more but I'm not sure what the solution is for that. A guy has to start somewhere and at least with the P-85 the primary can perhaps work a bit more efficiently with better upshift, less heat and something you can rebuild. As for the secondary problem, I would love to hear what the answer is? If the Team tied has issues what's the alternative? I thought the Hercules Helix looked like a quality product with a good concept behind it....is it worth pursuing? cut secondary?...all of the above? Judging from the range of posts/opinions on the rpm post it doesn't look like an isolated problem.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I love your idea of a p85 on the cat. Rebuildable, parts are readily available.
I dont have experience with the Hercules helix but I do have experience with the guys involved in it. Basically, Duane and Lonn don't sell junk or flavor of the month stuff.
Give Lonn at Thunder products a call and talk about the Hercules Helix.
I think the Hercules helix is a great idea.
P85 and a Herc helix sounds like a cost effective solution that will work.
Your doing excellent research and only about 5% of people even bother digging as deep as you, so keep it up and you will get years of satisfaction from your sleds.
If I sound condescending, I don't mean to be, at all. I'm just ecstatic that someone else besides me stays awake at night and thinks about clutching and how to get a reliable, efficient drive system nowadays!

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Not condescending so no worries. I would simply like to find an answer to the cat clutching mess that doesn't involve buying an entire Polaris! I appreciate the honest feedback.

Last edited:
Premium Features