• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Toms Full Skid / Review

L
Mar 14, 2008
Edgewood , Wa
I have been running toms S.I.K kit on my proclimb with great results , Its a Awesome kit and the fact that it has been such a improvement over the stock suspension , it was visibly noticeable by others in my riding group. Because of the noticeable improvement they wanted to know more about it and who made it .

Which ultimately lead One of the guys in the group to go to the next level and run one of Toms full skids and have the additional tunability /adjustability that can only come from a full skid application . The sled is a very very well tuned M1000 , Ported , y pipe , piped , PCV , 2.6 powerclaw ect , ect ... it runs really hard ,
And the reason i'm posting this in the proclimb section is one of the benefits of this skid is it works in both chassis .

We went out for a ride and i was able to get some time on his sled with the new skid , Its works Awesome at many things however what stood out right away was how the front end of the sled would stay down , You could hit a 3 ft hole or face and the sled would automatically right it self back to the correct position . You could hold the power on right through the holes and vert faces and the sled would just suck it up and the attitude of the sled would stay right in the pocket .

When running a bone stock skid with stock shocks you find yourself constantly letting off the gas to correct the attitude of the sled when climbing , With toms skid you didn't have to let off to control the attitude and lose your momentum . The skid has a 2 1/2 in longer front track shock and its NOTICEABLE . This skid will suck up some serious bumps and , then to top it off my friend commented to me how it has a great road ride too .

There are quite a few adjustments on this skid that really work , the shocks themselves are awesome just like what i found out with the S.I.K kit . If you get a chance to ride one of these skids you wont be disappointed , especially if you have a 2.6 or bigger track and some torque and horsepower ..

DSC_0187.jpg rp tom skid #111.jpg

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
what do you have your shock pressure set at Front shocks and rear shocks? What's your weight geared up? I had my stock 14 shocks set stiff. toms base settings seem too soft for me. I upped the main chambers on all four shocks by 20psi. Still much lower and softer than what I had the stockers set at. Will try them this way Saturday. I like stiff for predictably and do still want it to wheelie.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
They are modified XM spindles. Just got them on yesterday. I bent a lot of the BDX ones this season, so Jeff@BDX did these up for me. It took a wedge plate screwed into the bottom backside so the ski rubber works, and tapered holes for the a-arms to slide into. There is also a lot of clearancing on the inside back of the spindle on the lower a arm they did on them. I had to clearance them even more last night a little higher on them so they would clear the shock body and stop on the lower a-arm instead at full swing.

L
Mar 14, 2008
Edgewood , Wa
CO 2.O My pressures will be a little different than a standard proclimb as i have been running Toms S.I.K kit on a ProLite , My riding weight is 185/190 . I have run the center shock pressures between 35 and 45 psi , Depending on snow conditions and trail conditions . For the rear track shock i change the pressures for conditions and run between 120 to 145 psi in the main chamber and 180 to 210 in the Evol . In really wet deep snow , when its packed in the skid and sled, i run more pressure and its really noticeable how well it responds and works . Dont be to reluctant to play with the pressures in different conditions .
I have only rode with Toms front shocks twice and have not posted a review yet , The front shock set up that i have from Tom is incredible , Couple together a front end that has great travel and then install a great shock and its really something to ride. I'm running the Fox Float 3 , Kashima coat sleeves , bleed shim and Toms custom valving and Evol chamber . Tom set up these shocks specifically to work with the much lighter front end weight on the Prolite . For these front shocks i run 50 psi in the main chamber and 100psi in the Evol chamber . For me personally the front shocks have made this sled much more enjoyable to ride in the backcountry and on the trail you can seriously go for it if you choose. front Toms Evol.jpg

Last edited:
N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
CO 2.O My pressures will be a little different than a standard proclimb as i have been running Toms S.I.K kit on a ProLite , My riding weight is 185/190 . I have run the center shock pressures between 35 and 45 psi , Depending on snow conditions and trail conditions . For the rear track shock i change the pressures for conditions and run between 120 to 145 psi in the main chamber and 180 to 210 in the Evol . In really wet deep snow , when its packed in the skid and sled, i run more pressure and its really noticeable how well it responds and works . Dont be to reluctant to play with the pressures in different conditions .
I have only rode with Toms front shocks twice and have not posted a review yet , The front shock set up that i have from Tom is incredible , Couple together a front end that has great travel and then install a great shock and its really something to ride. I'm running the Fox Float 3 , Kashima coat sleeves , bleed shim and Toms custom valving and Evol chamber . Tom set up these shocks specifically to work with the much lighter front end weight on the Prolite . For these front shocks i run 50 psi in the main chamber and 100psi in the Evol chamber . For me personally the front shocks have made this sled much more enjoyable to ride in the backcountry and on the trail you can seriously go for it if you choose. View attachment 232356

Great review and now I want those front shocks also. Just wanted to tell you your gonna need a new bumper. I can see the weld cracking on it which was the same as the one I had warrantied, it will surely snap off and makes a helluva vibrating racket.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Mine is starting to crack there on both sides too. Might have to get mine warrantied first part of next season.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm gonna have to do some more work on my XM spindles and the shocks. All four shocks lost 25psi the first ride on them yesterday, so they were too soft while out riding. Hoping there is no air loss next ride out. The XM spindles for the BDX front end also sold me out on the front side ski rubber. Need to build something to attach to the front lower of the spindle. Right now it's too narrow there and dig straight in the ski rubber. Got the ski caught behind my front evol chamber yesterday...

edit talked to Tom and it sounds like it was a difference in the fox pumps. I used the standard stock pump initially to set up pressures and used the high output pump to check it after my first ride. This isn't the first time I've seen fox pumps off from each other in the past either...

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I'm gonna have to do some more work on my XM spindles and the shocks. All four shocks lost 25psi the first ride on them yesterday, so they were too soft while out riding. Hoping there is no air loss next ride out. The XM spindles for the BDX front end also sold me out on the front side ski rubber. Need to build something to attach to the front lower of the spindle. Right now it's too narrow there and dig straight in the ski rubber. Got the ski caught behind my front evol chamber yesterday...

Your Cat is just trying to tell you to get those stinky Doo parts off.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
edit talked to Tom and it sounds like it was a difference in the fox pumps. I used the standard stock pump initially to set up pressures and used the high output pump to check it after my first ride. This isn't the first time I've seen fox pumps off from each other in the past either...

I noticed this also. As long as I don't need to go higher then 150 psi in the EVOL chamber, I prefer to use the standard pump as it's a little easier to make fine pressure adjustments with.

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
I think the newer fox pumps are ****!. The older models are much better. I have had mine replaced under warranty, but the new one sucks also. I have been using my older fox MTB pump. Sorry about the rant. Think I will purchase the S.I.K. kit this summer.

Last edited:
Premium Features