• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track swap issue ('10 M8)

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Swapping out tracks and I'm at an impass.

Skids out.

Retaining nut holding disc rotor is off. Screw going thru driver to DD is out. Brake pads and outboard caliper is off...

So, the issue is I can't get the inboard side of the caliper to separate or pull off the driver.

Tried pulling the driver (under the sled) toward the clutch side...nothing. Tried pulling the inboard caliper out, nothing.

So what gives?!?!?

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
The caliper stays on the shaft. It can be wiggled through the opening for the brake caliper once you remove the brake line on the exhaust side of the sled. you'll have to rotate the caliper on the shaft to get it to slide through, but I promise it will. then take track out, replace with new and put the caliper back through the opening the same way you removed it. I find it easier to put the spacer through first. Best of luck, it can be a knuckle buster that's for sure.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
You don't need to take the driveshaft out to swap a track. Take the bolts out on the inside of the tunnel for the brake caliper and let the driveshaft hang out. You will be able to manuever the track around the driveshaft. Swapped many tracks on Ms this way.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Thanks for the help guys. Both are good advice.

In an effort to pull it off I tried using a puller. And I just now looked at the parts away microfiche. Looks like there is a bearing, retainer clip, and another bearing. Hopefully I didn't damage the retainer clip.

So, when I get it out (driver and caliper), can these be separated?? Because I thought I read where people did track swaps and replaced the brake side bearings?!?

My sleds got 3500 miles and figured if replace the bearings too while it all was out.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
you didnt damage the retainer clip. The driveshaft needs to be pounded out of the caliper bearings because it tends to get stuck in there. Use a brass hammer and put something on the end of the shaft so you dont damage the threads. It will take some persuasion but the shaft will come out. Ive done it quite a few times. Its a lot easier if the shaft and caliper were still bolted in the sled though.

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
If you're at 3500 I would do those bearings, they're two 6909, buy a good brand at a bearing house and save a ton of money.
Pb blaster helped me get my trackshaft out of the bearing, it's a real tight fit.

Premium Features