• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What brand for 2013?

What brand for 2013?

• 2013 Ski Doo

Votes: 229 29.7%
  • 2013 Polaris

Votes: 293 38.0%
  • 2013 Arctic Cat

Votes: 46 6.0%
  • Ill keep my current sled

Votes: 152 19.7%
  • Need to demo ride first

Votes: 52 6.7%

• Total voters

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Keeping the 09. It's dialed. I have it set up the way I want and I don't feel the need to drop 14k on something that I'd need to start over modifying.

My sled, from the floor to my trailer with mods (minus the turbo) cost way less than a stock PRO, XM or *eek* the Pro-Climb. And works better, for me.

The way I see is that some pretty decent ideas came to light but I'm not willing to shell out that much money to become a free product tester.

The XM skid: looks like it may work but I bet that they increase the 4° range of motion come 2014 and add a belt drive. The rest of the stuff like the pow deflector, adjustable windshield, LED light is lame. Does nothing to add value or functionality to the sled, IMO. The heated glove box is cool but the fact that there was no weight loss is a FAIL in my book. The stock motor is a nice powerplant. Make the sled lighter and I believe that most folks would be happy.

The PRO: Yes, lighter weight. Still think too much came off too fast. I think that structural integrity was compromised. The CF bumpers are lame and fragile. You have to replace them with something 3 times as heavy to make them useful. The 2 wheel belt drive will fail, you NEED a tensioner. Every belt stretches. Two wheels leave the possibility for the belt to stretch, vibrate and slip. On both sides. Belt drives are old tech, but good tech. C3 and CMX have been doing it for years, why the manufacturers didn't put that tech on a stocker a while ago baffles me. The lack of HP for a stock sled, no matter how light doesn't make sense. Most guys toss a BD or silber kit on to get the hp they want. Why not wake the stock motor up?

The Cat: Haven't heard anything yet, but they MUST come up with something because the PRO-CLIMB is in the ranks of the Polaris 900. So wait and see waht they come up with to atone for the pile of crap they dropped for 2012.

Yammie: Not even in the ballpark. They look cool but are too heavy and even with a stock turbo their HP is no match for even the low rated Pro hp. But they have a very loyal clientele. I love the idea of a powerful thumper in a 500 pound chassis. Hurry up and do it.

And for Christ's sake, quit allowing the prices to skyrocket uncontrollably. 14k is too stinking high. We read threads and posts all day, every day from guys who love the idea, the functionality of a product and would buy it right then and there but the price is too high. There are ways to cut costs in R&D, operations and admin so the elevated price is not handed off to the client. And FYI, the economy still sucks. Scratch our back and we scratch yours.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I will likely get a '13 Doo....of course I wish it was lighter....I wish for a lot of things. :present: I just prefer the build quality and engineering of the Doo. The Pro is definatly the more "raw" of the two sleds and that light weight comes at a price too.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I will likely get a '13 Doo....of course I wish it was lighter....I wish for a lot of things. :present: I just prefer the build quality and engineering of the Doo. The Pro is definatly the more "raw" of the two sleds and that light weight comes at a price too.

Do u mean in terms of structural or wallet?

Cause as far as MONEY, aren't they the same?

S
Oct 29, 2008
Im worried. Ive added homemade braces to the skid to hold after bending 4 rails. Also changed to Z-broz front so it will hold up to jumping and hard landings, but that actully lowered some weight. The front bumper and rear bumper are also useless in my opinion, they are way to light and fragile.

But even with changing those things, the pro is still a much better sled than the ski doo xp. In MY opinion, not claiming it is a fact.

Everyone I know with z broz a arms has been bending them. Not even on major impacts so not sure why you would choose them.

S
Oct 29, 2008
[QUOTE=PJ-Hunter; The 2 wheel belt drive will fail, you NEED a tensioner. Every belt stretches. Two wheels leave the possibility for the belt to stretch, vibrate and slip. On both sides. Belt drives are old tech, but good tech. C3 and CMX have been doing it for years, why the manufacturers didn't put that tech on a stocker a while ago baffles me. Pj- I was under the impression that the new belt it the same one used on top fuel funny cars superchargers. If that is infact true i can't see my lil 800 with turbo stretching that belt. I was told they were made to handle over 1000 hp. This came from someone I consider reliable. Any insight on this?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
this poll just shows the biggest performance sleds are not the best sellers.never have,never will be.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Pj- I was under the impression that the new belt it the same one used on top fuel funny cars superchargers. If that is infact true i can't see my lil 800 with turbo stretching that belt. I was told they were made to handle over 1000 hp. This came from someone I consider reliable. Any insight on this?

Yes, but those superchargers have 3 or more wheels to keep the belt tensioned and on track. Take a long look at the design. It leaves a door to be opened for slippage. You show me anywhere where a 2 wheel setup works when it's under high stress, massive load (supercharger) or the constant ups and downs with the 2 stroke application. and by that I mean it's at 4000 rpm, up to 8300 rpm, back down back up, back down, back up. See what I'm trying to say? And I'd also bet that those supercharger belts get ran for one race day only, if that. Then they are scrapped.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The belt drive isn't rocket science....no good reason it shouldn't perform. People are assuming it will stretch....a belt of that nature will not stretch.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
had a dream i was test riding a new poo...
i woke up when it broke both belts and a piston skirt climbing a small hill.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
The belt drive isn't rocket science....no good reason it shouldn't perform. People are assuming it will stretch....a belt of that nature will not stretch.

I agree, a cogged belt is not going to stretch enough to matter, however the cogs will eventually wear out providing some slop.

I find myself indifferent regarding the belt drive, it has a few advantages (ease of field repair/replacement, slight efficiency gain, no tension adjustment necessary, no oil checks/changes).

My biggest question is how durable will the belts be, if they consistently run 10,000 miles without failure then it's all win win, if the cogs get worn and slip at 1500-2000 miles, then it's not worth it.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I wonder if Polaris tested it before deciding to put it on a production sled? Anyone think they did NOT test it? :face-icon-small-dis

Did AC test the Diamond Drive? One would hope so. But how many failed? Every CAT owner I know that had DD has rebuilt, replaced or repaired it.

Did Poo test the 900? Was it a success. Nope

Did Doo test their cranks on the 07 Rev, did they test the driveshaft on the 08s? How many failed?

My point is that I think the 2 wheel design is setting itself up for issues

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I agree, a cogged belt is not going to stretch enough to matter, however the cogs will eventually wear out providing some slop.

I find myself indifferent regarding the belt drive, it has a few advantages (ease of field repair/replacement, slight efficiency gain, no tension adjustment necessary, no oil checks/changes).

My biggest question is how durable will the belts be, if they consistently run 10,000 miles without failure then it's all win win, if the cogs get worn and slip at 1500-2000 miles, then it's not worth it.

I'm on mobile so I have no idea where you are from, but I don't know of any mountain sleds with a true 10,000 miles on it. If the belt lasts 2,000 miles I have no issue with that.

I've certainly never heard of a chain lasting 10,000 miles. You should replace a chain at 2,000 miles why not replace a belt. At least if/when a belt breaks or let's loose it won't take out the entire chain case or gears like a chain does.

The advantages are far greater for a belt drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I'm on mobile so I have no idea where you are from, but I don't know of any mountain sleds with a true 10,000 miles on it. If the belt lasts 2,000 miles I have no issue with that.

I've certainly never heard of a chain lasting 10,000 miles. You should replace a chain at 2,000 miles why not replace a belt. At least if/when a belt breaks or let's loose it won't take out the entire chain case or gears like a chain does.

The advantages are far greater for a belt drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some trail sleds that put on way more than 10K, when I sold my 08 XP 163 it had just over 8500 miles(mostly mountain) on the chassis, original chain, 4th motor.

I could live with 5000 mile belt life, but not 2000.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
For a poll like this to be in the SkiDoo section and SkiDoo getting killed does not make the future look too bright for SkiDoo.

I will be test riding both before I choose to move from my '12 FreeRide.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There are some trail sleds that put on way more than 10K, when I sold my 08 XP 163 it had just over 8500 miles(mostly mountain) on the chassis, original chain, 4th motor.

I could live with 5000 mile belt life, but not 2000.

Just have them put a new belt on every time they rebuild the engine and you will be good to go! :behindsofa:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Personally, I find it funny that so many people are willing to jump ship over a frickin PRO.

If you don't like what Doo released in 13, keep riding your older sled and wait for 14. That is unless all of you are so filthy stinking rich you can afford to blow 14 grand every year, on a sled thats engineered to last well over one season.

I ride an 09 and I/m just as happy on it as the guys on the new stuff.

Personally, I don't get the whole "Buy a new sled every year" thing.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
I have an M8 but I am pretty sure I am going to be buying the new doo. Not because of brand loyalty, I have no brand loyalty. I ride with mostly doo guys and have another riding group with mostly poo's. I seem to be the black sheep with the AC lol. I have seen what the pro can do and what the xp can do with great riders on them and I havent seen one truly out perform the other both do what they are intended to do and do it well.

That being said I am going with the doo because of our dealers up here I am not a big fan of our Polaris dealer and I refuse to deal with them. I have seen what the xp can do better than my M8 and I dont want a new proclimb, I think they look cool and they have a great engine but I dont like the uncertainty of the sled with court battles going on.

All the sleds have technology in them that the others dont have that everyone wants. They all perform great. I have seen people on 15 year old sleds keeping up with the guys on new sleds down in the flats, granted they cant climb as steep or deep as the new ones but for the people that bitch about the lack of new upgrades or that one sled is better than another go ride an old sled again and be thankful the technology is where it's at on any of the new sleds.

I would be happy to have a new sled of any of the big 3. I am just fortunate enough to be able to pick what I want and I will be happy with whatever I get.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I will be on my 12 Pro as I flat out love this new sled.Its way too expensive to switch every year unless you win the lottery,then I would have 1 of everything.My last sled lasted me 3 years so I hope to get 3 out of my Pro.

Premium Features