• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What could Doo put out to top the '13 RMK!?!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
And looking at that belt drive I see tons wrong. For starters it's just two wheels. I see slipping and broken belts. Just watch.

But I'll watch it with an open mind and see.

if that belt drive is an issue i will eat your shorts..!!...that is proven technology....mind you so was the combustion engine...

Keep your shorts..

seriously though i love that belt drive and it ain;t going to be a worry...

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
I'm a yammie guy so not a whole lot of bias. Couple weeks ago I got a chance to ride a 12 pro and a 12 e tec. Pro is noticeably easier to pull over which I personally didn't care for. For people that have a hard time making a sled carve I can see where this would be a plus. Found a hill that was un touched and 2-3 feet of bc pow and took a few pulls on both. Pro is severely underpowered, wasn't even close. The pro can't spin the track fast enough to stay on top in the deep stuff. I'm looking at adding a 2 stroke and would definately buy the doo. I like the chassis better and the extra horsepower is too much to overlook

haha ok big bird all you did is pretty much tell us that you are a trail rider and have no talent to ride a sled in technical terrain!
first off you rode the two sleds on a hill? come on these are mountain sleds..
Severely underpowered? have yet to meet a ski-doo mod, or stock that the Pro couldnt hang with, it is right there with it, or better in most cases..
third the Pro is noticeably easier to pull over, you didnt care for this? any backcountry guy pulling a nasty sidehill through trees and creek bottoms would love to have this feature on a sled..
next time this hear from a guy who knows what they are talking about.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We have a 12 pro and 12 xp.... Both 163s and both clutched much better than stock. I prefer the xp. Some prefer the pro. They both have their good and bad characteristics. To say one is better than the other is silly.
I cant stand the pro steering geometry and ratio....the pro does do better in the deep fluff because its lighter and the track is better suited for this.
The power is surprisingly close...the pro FEELS underpowered but put the sleds side by side and its close.
I like the gas mileage of the etec.... No more packing gas while the pro will have to to go as far.
The rear skid on the doo gives a much better bump ride.... Every one who has ridden both agrees on this. The poo skid is harsh and kicks, even when setup soft. Perhaps the 13 will have better calibration.
If the rumors are true, the Doo will be more than competitive with the poo in all aspects.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
good point kelly, with you on that, see it the same way

I'm a yammie guy so not a whole lot of bias. Couple weeks ago I got a chance to ride a 12 pro and a 12 e tec. Pro is noticeably easier to pull over which I personally didn't care for. For people that have a hard time making a sled carve I can see where this would be a plus. Found a hill that was un touched and 2-3 feet of bc pow and took a few pulls on both. Pro is severely underpowered, wasn't even close. The pro can't spin the track fast enough to stay on top in the deep stuff. I'm looking at adding a 2 stroke and would definately buy the doo. I like the chassis better and the extra horsepower is too much to overlook

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i have a belt drive as well on the 08, i tighten up every 3 to 400 miles two to three turns on the adjuster or it will slip on the pullys, with out a belt adjuster the poo will be stuck replacing the belt, could get exspesnsive

if that belt drive is an issue i will eat your shorts..!!...that is proven technology....mind you so was the combustion engine...

Keep your shorts..

seriously though i love that belt drive and it ain;t going to be a worry...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
i have a belt drive as well on the 08, i tighten up every 3 to 400 miles two to three turns on the adjuster or it will slip on the pullys, with out a belt adjuster the poo will be stuck replacing the belt, could get exspesnsive

...I can see where a tensioner would be beneficial. Not only for getting the stretch out of a belt, but being able to try different drive ratios without having to purchase addtional belts!!

Ace

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Yep thats what Recalls are for , The new addition of a tensioner.LoL

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.

Is this belt drive on a stocker??? I run mine so loose that you can pull the belt off without touching the tensioner and have never had any slip! (1500 miles on the belt ) If I could find a belt that fit like the Poo's, I would take my tensioner off.

M
Nov 13, 2008
Funny chit

Well I for one have not had a Pro stick with my ETEC, climbing or running. I'm not saying they are bad sleds, for the h.p. they DON'T have the sled does damn well...... You can't tell me you pro riders wouldn't take that sled with the Etecs 164horse??? I was pulling 56-60mph climbing the steep this weekend, the Pro I was with.....45mph. Guess who's gearing and clutching? This Pro camp are like a bunch of "p" whipped teenagers! I guess after all it is the best Polaris has "ever" done.......... Copying.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not sure why this turned into a "bashing". I gave my opinion on how the XP could be better. I didn't bash and I even said that the Doo has great power. Fred biotches about people in the Doo forum and yet you find him in the Polaris forum. I didn't even say that the Pro was better. People get wadded up over nothing!

Yeah, the Pro went to 417 pounds, so they say. but since when has any MFR been honest about weight. And looking at that belt drive I see tons wrong. For starters it's just two wheels. I see slipping and broken belts. Just watch.

PJ, I know you bleed Doo yellow and I'm not trying to convince you to get a Pro. Once again I just gave some input on how the new XP could be something awesome. Unlike you, I could go to the other brand and would if I was impressed enough. Your comment on the weight is silly considering that Vohk (yeah, that guy down the street from you) proved that the Pro was in a few pounds of advertised. You are continually looking for ways in which the Pro is failing all along while it is succeeding. I'm pumped to see what Doo has. I hope it's a banging new sled!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Just like Brew, have them both. Agree with everything he says. There is just more performance to exploit with the ETEC. The ONLY thing the Pro does better is sidehill in crappy conditions. Like hard snow, avy debris or less than maybe 10" on a hard base. The fit and finish are also better on the Doo. The Doo even starts better. It fires immediately, the Pro has to be spun a little before it will catch. The Pro also smokes like a chimney on start up. All minor stuff I know but it is just one thing after another. I think the 13 Doo is going to leap frog the Pro and leave it behind. Poo is gonna have to come up with a new chassis to catch up.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Just like Brew, have them both. Agree with everything he says. There is just more performance to exploit with the ETEC. The ONLY thing the Pro does better is sidehill in crappy conditions. Like hard snow, avy debris or less than maybe 10" on a hard base. The fit and finish are also better on the Doo. The Doo even starts better. It fires immediately, the Pro has to be spun a little before it will catch. The Pro also smokes like a chimney on start up. All minor stuff I know but it is just one thing after another. I think the 13 Doo is going to leap frog the Pro and leave it behind. Poo is gonna have to come up with a new chassis to catch up.

We're all entitled to our opinions. As I've said before, I really like the etec engine, however, I really dislike the XP chassis. IMO, Matte, the Pro does many things better than the Doo, handling-wise. There's a reason Doo narrowed the ski stance in '11 and is likely doing more chassis changes for '13. It is Doo, not Poo, who has to come up with a new chassis to catch up.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Is it just me or is the experience getting on Snowest starting to be ruined by some of these posts? I think we all joined for the same reason and all of this stupid banter of brand battles is not it. Are you here for help/questions with your sled? If so, you better scroll down to the bottom of the page to get away from "loyalists". And don't even think about asking for feedback on other manufactures because because 95% of its going to be crap. I think we need to get Christopher to make a "brand battle" section so the rest of us can get back to doing what we came here for!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
good idea, about another fourm, this is getting old

as for my post in the poo section, i have never started a thread, and maybe posted 10 times in the last month, you poo boys are making daily post

if we want to own a poo, i think we could be looking in the poo section rather than all your help-ful post...lol

we should all send christofer a few pms on this and get rid of this crap

Is it just me or is the experience getting on Snowest starting to be ruined by some of these posts? I think we all joined for the same reason and all of this stupid banter of brand battles is not it. Are you here for help/questions with your sled? If so, you better scroll down to the bottom of the page to get away from "loyalists". And don't even think about asking for feedback on other manufactures because because 95% of its going to be crap. I think we need to get Christopher to make a "brand battle" section so the rest of us can get back to doing what we came here for!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i do really love the etec technology..sure can;t argue with that...im certain it will get into the other brands..but i sure love the Polaris overall...and i own a cat...

i guess i would rather enjoy a glass 7/8 full of something thats tasty then swallow a glass full of something that i want to pour back into the keg..

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
All you people that say the poo is underpowered obviously haven't ridden one. Poo may have had some motor issues with the dragons but the motors in the pro are IMO the greatest 800 motor ever made. They are so simple. You guys are just brain washed with the etec. Drive a pro and you'll realize they are great sleds.

id disagree, i think my 2011 pro is underpowered, even at full RPM and clutched great it just wont get up and rip like my 09 XP did. I'm really hoping ski-doo can put a chassis together that can hang with the pro. if they do, i'm on one!!!!

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
13' is going to have a rear suspension change. S36 stays. Slight weight loss. Same chassis more or less. No four stroke. No turbo. 800 etec stays the same.

Story is it's going to change mountain riding and make it easier.

That's all I could get. They say there is a big new technology change. Something new that no one else has.

I've got my guesses what it is but that's all I have.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
So what's you guess?

The thing that makes riding easier for me is less weight. End of story. I know some on here disagree with me, but so does a vertical steering post, however I wouldn't classify that as revolutionary at this point.

So with that said, I am going to say it has something to do with the way the power is transfered to the track.

With that said, here is what Doo would have to release for me to buy a new Summit instead of the '13 RMK:

435-440 lbs dry
Narrower body work
Vertical steering post

Other things that would be nice:
Running board construction similar to the Airframes
TEAM secondary
Coil-over rear suspension

If they offer these updates, and a decent snow-check warranty option I WILL be on a 2013 Summit X 146.

Joe

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
if you want a polaris you should buy one... i rode one and hated it.didnt like the steering post or the handeling.all my buddies bent a frames ,broke rear bumpers last year. i like boosted yamaha's or xp's. rather deal with the weight and have reliability

Premium Features